Recommendations/experience with console safe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ddski5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Prairieville
    I did a search and didn’t find anything up to date or what I was looking for so if I missed a previous thread on this then please redirect me.

I work in a gun free environment and want to secure my handgun in my truck. There are many console gun safes/vaults out there- question is which one to get?

I have a friend that bought a console safe and bolted it to the bottom of the console/truck so would be thief could not just take the entire thing.

Your thoughts on the console safe?
    Experiences?
    So many out there- which one?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Academy has one that’s about $15 or so. It will fit a full size handgun and I can get it to hold two handguns if I really wanted too. It’s nothing special just a key lock but it has a steel wire that you can wrap through underneath your seat to prevent a quick smash and grab. They are good for what they are designed to do but I still wouldn’t trust it to leave a firearm overnight in a vehicle. With enough time or some tools and it could easily be stolen. I use mine when I don’t feel like carrying at the gym.

Bmash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2013
    Zachary, LA
    I bought a “Lock’er Down” console safe with the “Abloy” key set. I really like it so far. Easy to install, and yes bolted in. Negative is having the key in your pocket so access isn’t quick if driving. No big deal since I only put pistol in when I can’t carry. I like it for being able to lock up my suppressors when not in use. Hunting trip for example. Obviously my biggest concern is the truck being stolen!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Anyone looking for a gun safe may want to look at The Lockpicking Lawyer's youtube page and search for the safe in question. This guy is pretty good with a set of bypass tools. I don't recall seeing him not be able to get a lock open but I may have missed one or two. Some of the tools he uses are specialty tools and/or they require skills not usually possessed by the average thief so that should be considered when watching him work. And he will point out when a bypass technique may require advanced skills or tools. He's taken on an Abloy lock or two along the way although I don't know if it's the specific one in the Lock'er Down safes.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Anyone looking for a gun safe may want to look at The Lockpicking Lawyer's youtube page and search for the safe in question. This guy is pretty good with a set of bypass tools. I don't recall seeing him not be able to get a lock open but I may have missed one or two. Some of the tools he uses are specialty tools and/or they require skills not usually possessed by the average thief so that should be considered when watching him work. And he will point out when a bypass technique may require advanced skills or tools. He's taken on an Abloy lock or two along the way although I don't know if it's the specific one in the Lock'er Down safes.

I would not rely on these lock boxes as a permanent safe to hold anything for more than a short time. All they are is deterrents to make smash and grabs harder. With enough time or basic tools they can all be pretty easily popped open or removed completely.

The only use I have for mine is like I previously mentioned when going to the gym. If I decide to leave my carry gun in my vehicle it’s locked and I have eyes on my vehicle the entire time. If some idiot decides to break into my vehicle it should give me ample time to call the police and have them respond before said idiot makes away with my gun. I’d be willing to bet you could get into most of them with a pocket knife or maybe just by simply slamming it against the concrete a couple times. The locks are very basic and definitely not something I would be comfortable with for any real storage.

Ddski5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2022
    Prairieville
    Yes…
    That’s the one I got but I got the one that goes in the bottom console. I drilled some extra holes in the bottom and bolted it to the floor- very sturdy and not coming out.

Overall very pleased with the construction, security and ease of using it.

Danny Abear

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2007
    Brusly, La.
    I was in and out of 'the plants' for many years; Drove a chevy 1500, r
    lift up the cupholder in the console and put pistol in there, under cupholder, also drove a ASTRO van for same job, had a small trash can between front seats and kept pistol in between trash can and trash bag..

Top Bottom