Reloading

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • girl1911

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Denham Springs Louisiana
    Wanting to buy hubby a reloading set for our anniversary/ birthday. Can someone plz help me with all that is needed. He has a handgun 9 cal. And 3 ar. 2 we building together as a project and 1 already built. All 3 are 223 cal.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Wanting to buy hubby a reloading set for our anniversary/ birthday. Can someone plz help me with all that is needed. He has a handgun 9 cal. And 3 ar. 2 we building together as a project and 1 already built. All 3 are 223 cal.
    Brian at Louisiana Gun & Reloading will be most Helpful! Tell him Jay Miller sent ya!

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    You will need
    1. Reloading Press - Type would depend on budget. For staring I like Turret prices from Lee or Lyman are not that expensive
    2. Sets of Dies for each caliber
    3. Reloading Manual or Reloading Data
    4. Brass Trimmer - many kinds depends on budget
    5. Calipers for measuring
    6. Scale for weighing powder charges
    7. Tumbler with media separator for cleaning brass
    8. Components - brass, bullets/projectiles, reloading powder, and primers (hard to find right now)

That is enough to get started for now. You can get better/more efficient tools as you progress. I could give more specifics with some type of budget.

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    My thoughts are literally start with the basics. Twinin makes a good list of the basics, but here is what you need to truely make a reloaded 9mm. Probably the easist to get him started. This stuff is really expensive right out the gate.

1) Press - $167 Amazon product ASIN B000N8LJ222) Dies - $60 Amazon product ASIN B000MOGSUK3) Calipers - $26 Amazon product ASIN B000GSLKIW4) Thrower - $72 Amazon product ASIN B07BW6RYGW5) Priming tool - 44.99 Amazon product ASIN B000PW71LO6) Scale - $31 https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ar...x=rcbs+powder+scale,aps,92&sr=1-12&th=1&psc=1

The reason I chose a single stage is that they are always helpful in the future if he ever wants to do some precision loading, he has the single. Great to learn on, and he can upgrade to an auto or a turret or whatever in the future. I personally own a dillon 550, a harrell's precision 3 hole turret, a Texan turret, a Forester co-axial and a RCBS rock chucker. My rock chucker sees the most action as it is my outside resizing press. It is dirty and only now meant for resizing, but I tell ya what, I use it in every case prep scenario. I'd like to recommend a more expensive scale, but I don't know your budget. That scale will get it done for pistol, but it is not very feature rich.

Spending $400.99 - all on amazon all in stock will get him up and running minus the consumables that same day for 9mm. For 223 all you have to do is add in the following

1) 223 Die - $40 https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Die-Set...goods&sprefix=rcbs+223+die,sporting,87&sr=1-1
    2) Trimmer - $105 https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Univer...prefix=rifle+brass+trimmer,sporting,81&sr=1-4
    3) De-Burring tool - $30 https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-777780...prefix=rifle+brass+trimmer,sporting,81&sr=1-9
    4) Lee Crimp Die - $17 https://www.amazon.com/LEE-PRECISIO...oods&sprefix=223+crimp+die,sporting,76&sr=1-1

$192 extra to add 223

components are another thing. Sign up for shootingbot.com this will send notifications to your phone on the instock selected items. Also http://www.gunbot.net/ is a great resource for seeing instock items. Ammoseek is there too, but I find it difficult and unreliable.

recommendations for instock items would be
    bullets - $45 124gn RN Plated https://www.xtremebullets.com/9mm-124-RN-p/xc9mm-124rn-b0500.htm
    brass - $45 - 9mm brass select clean and roll sized https://bayoubrassandammo.com/shop/ols/products/9mm-once-fired-brass-cartridges/v/9MM-LGR-BRS-PLS-CS
    He is local in Mandeville, not sure if you are close, but I go to him and pick them up.
    Primers and powder you'll have to keep your eyes and ears open and sign up for the bots and they'll text you when they pop up, you'll need Small pistol Primers (SPP) and Small Rifle Primers (SRP).

Hope that helps

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I have a good bit of once fired brass I’ve been saving up and considering starting reloading myself. One thing I don’t see recommended is a depriming tool. Am I missing it?

If I do decide to get into it I’d only be reloading 9mm, .45acp, and 223/5.56
    I’ve been saving my brass every time I go to the range for about a year or so now and have a decent amount accumulated. As far as .45acp goes I guess I got lucky because everything I own is large primer with the exception of one box of blazer brass that’s small primer. I didn’t even realize using small primers was a thing with .45acp until I opened the one and only box of blazer and noticed it immediately thinking man that looks odd.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You can buy a dedicated die that just decals. So one side fits all.
    I have a single stage press I bring outside and decap all my brass then clean the brass.
    I keep the nasty outside. So I only bring clean bagged brass to load inside my home.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I have a good bit of once fired brass I’ve been saving up and considering starting reloading myself. One thing I don’t see recommended is a depriming tool. Am I missing it?

I’ve been saving my brass every time I go to the range for about a year or so now and have a decent amount accumulated. As far as .45acp goes I guess I got lucky because everything I own is large primer with the exception of one box of blazer brass that’s small primer. I didn’t even realize using small primers was a thing with .45acp until I opened the one and only box of blazer and noticed it immediately thinking man that looks odd.
    You can use a hand deprime tool, but I find it's just easier to do it on the press with a decapping die

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    You get more bang for the buck with kits.
    You can start with a single stage kit thst is press, scale, powder drop and hand primer. Most all cone with everything but dies, brass, powder, bullets and primers.
    My dad's RCBS Kit had press, scale, powder drop, hand primer and brass trimmer. Plus a primer pocket cleaner, plus a book on how to reload. Just need he just needed primers, powder and bullets. It had more items than he needed but was way less than buying less.
    You can always use the stuff that comes with it if and when you upgrade your press.
    I still use my RCBS Singke Stage Rock Chucker to decap, size rifle, swag primer pockets of military brass. As the 5.56, 7.62x51, 30-06, for military have primers crimped and must be dragged or reamed with a dreamer on a brass trimmer.
    I also use the old RCBS Rock Chucker (1980) to do the above as well as convert brass. Like 5.56 into 7.62x25, 5.56 into 300 blackout, 7.62x51 into 45ACP Shotshells etc.
    Or to do simple small batches you do not use often or some to test- try.
    Loading small batches 1st before you go all put and end up with piles off ammo you do like is a good thing
    I have to make up some brass for my mom's old 7.65 French Long.
    And then make up the bullets and Finnaly the ammo.
    Not everything is wham bam.
    Even moving to a 1st rate progressive you will have use of the old stuff from.the kit.
    I have some wood stands that the single stage press bolts to that can be C Clamped to a table or what ever outside or inside.
    I have dies for the Rock Chucker that are used to install Gas Checks on my lead cast boolits.
    They do have uses.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA

My reccomendation is a little different. i reccomend purchasing the above 2 manuals and reading through them. they have a solid overview of the process. then get on youtube and watch some of gavintubes videos to get some good perspective of the equipment that he may want. then go purchase equipment. as others have stated these are not cheap tools. when i started out i went and bought a kit and the lyman manual. i didn't open the box for the kit and began reading the manual. when i was done i realized i wanted some different items than the kit provided so i returned it and purchased the items i wanted. i have since bought other equipment but am still using the original equipment i bought as well.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    For the money and what you are reloading, I would look at a Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit. The only thing you will need is dies and an extra 4 hole die holder. It has the powder scale, primer tool, and loading manual. Just add brass, bullets, powder, and primers and you're ready to go. Check out the local dealers but just to give you starting point, Midway has one for $250, Precision Reloading $238. This gives you a starting point. This is a multi-stage press. They do make a single stage press kit that is a little cheaper. When you take the step, please don't hesitate to reach out to us reloaders here. I think I can safely say we will be more than happy to answer and questions and give any guidance we can.

pptpe45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012

I’ve been saving my brass every time I go to the range for about a year or so now and have a decent amount accumulated. As far as .45acp goes I guess I got lucky because everything I own is large primer with the exception of one box of blazer brass that’s small primer . I didn’t even realize using small primers was a thing with .45acp until I opened the one and only box of blazer and noticed it immediately thinking man that looks odd.
    Most resizing dies deprime/decap. Several manufacturers make a 'Universal' depriming/decapping die. I use one in my Rock Chucker to deprime a batch of brass. I like to polish with the primer removed.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For the money and what you are reloading, I would look at a Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit. The only thing you will need is dies and an extra 4 hole die holder. It has the powder scale, primer tool, and loading manual. Just add brass, bullets, powder, and primers and you're ready to go. Check out the local dealers but just to give you starting point, Midway has one for $250, Precision Reloading $238. This gives you a starting point. This is a multi-stage press. They do make a single stage press kit that is a little cheaper. When you take the step, please don't hesitate to reach out to us reloaders here. I think I can safely say we will be more than happy to answer and questions and give any guidance we can.
    I know you probably know but for others - you can take out the piece that moves the turret and operate it like a single stage

johnjohn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    I'm a fan of the Lyman manual. I started before I had access to the internet and no one to mentor me. The people I talked to thought reloading was either black magic or voo doo. Lot's more enlightened people now a days.

Top Bottom