Rem 700 stock help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Ok accuracy guys. I have a rem 700 .308 sps tactical 20" bull barrel. It has the Hogue overmold rubberized stock that is suppossed to be free floating. It is right up until you put it in a rest or bipod. The stock touches in the front. Its fine for now because we dont really shoot over 150 yards but I would like for the gun to shoot better than I can. I know its a problem because its shoots differently depending what type of rest its in.. Anybody have any suggestions. I would really like to keep the stock if it could be fixed. The rubberized feel is nice when its cold and wet while hunting. Can I just shave alot off the front under the barrel?
    thanks
    Wade

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I love the feel of the Hogue stocks, but won't keep one on my gun for the same reason you're stating above. Look around for an HS Precision take off stock. They are a good bit stiffer and offer a better platform to set that action in. You can find the 700P, PPS, vs, and sendero stocks all over for $100-$200.

I'm not sure about the Hogue, but a lot of composite stocks you aren't supposed to shave since the support is in the shell and may expose the interior materials to the elements.

Last edited:

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Thanks Ritten thats what I was thinking. Im gonna start looking for one. If Hogue would overmold an H-S that would be a bad azz hunting stock

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Nick my son and I love the gun. Its easy to carry with the short barrel and the weight is just about perfect. If the stock wuold be the same but a little stiffer it would be perfect.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You could always just cover an HS stock with some of the polyurethane truck liner stuff. It might add a bit of weight, but you could pick and choose your areas to cover. It would give you a similar "rubbery" feel.

There's also the other really good idea of just ordering a new stock. Manners is top notch, McMillan is also, but the wait times are ridiculous.

Last edited:

jester1787

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Marrero, LA
    i remember seeing a company that sold a spray on rubber coating that you could use on the HS precision stock once you get it. ill see if can find a link.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Im gonna look for a good stock but until then I went ahead and just shaved the "rubber" off in between the barrel and stock but didnt cut into the plastic. Before I cuoldnt pass a dollar around barrel when it was resting on something. Now I can rest it just on the front of the stock and the dollar passes easy. Im gonna shoot it like that until I can get a new stock.
    Ritten when I bought this one I could have got the Rem that comes with the H-S but its about a 1/2 longer on the LOP and my son was stretched out a little. This one fits him perfectly and it has the built in recoil pad so Im sure that helps. If this works maybe I can just order one and wont mind the wait. He'll probably fit the stock better by next year as fast as kids grow.

Thanks for the rubberizing tip but I aint got balls enough to spray a 500-1000 dollar stock with it. LOL
    Well just have to learn to love it,

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom