Removing item from NFA registry

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjc1677

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Plaquemine, LA
    What is the process to remove a SBR from the NFA registry? How long does it take for the ATF process? I am thinking about selling an AK SBR and I am curious if it is better to leave it as is and transfer out on FORM 4 or to return it back to a rifle with 16" faux suppressor.

Thanks
    Mike

JBgleason

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    NorthShore
    What is the process to remove a SBR from the NFA registry? How long does it take for the ATF process? I am thinking about selling an AK SBR and I am curious if it is better to leave it as is and transfer out on FORM 4 or to return it back to a rifle with 16" faux suppressor.

Thanks
    Mike
    REMOVING an item (i.e. a firearm that is destroyed) is different than converting a SBR back to a Title 1 firearm. I know if a silencer or other firearm is destroyed, you can "remove" it by a process that includes photos of the destroyed item. I would need to double check but I don't think you can remove a SBR by making it a non-sbr. I seem to recall that once the receiver is registered as a SBR it is a SBR for life. There are similar rules with making a pistol into a rifle and not being able to convert it back. Not 100% on this but I would definitely check before converting your SBR.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    @JBgleason
    You are referring to the "once a pistol always a pistol" because of the Fed Excise Tax on a rifle. If a "pistol" receiver was papered on Form 1 into an SBR, it must go back to its original config of "pistol."

If his item was a rifle and he SBR'ed it, he can submit to NFA branch for its removal from the registry and then return it to the 16"+ config.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    To the OP. my opinion is this: list for sale that you can transfer as SBR if desired, or as the original item if desired, and let the seller decide. You can convert back (rifle if 16" originally, and that's what it sounds like). The form 1 allows you to "build" an SBR. Putting the 16" barrel back "un-builds" the SBR, for lack of a better word. It's back to the original form and can be sold as a regular rifle.

Now, you don't want a receiver registered in your name floating around. So yes, send that form to ATF to remove the device from the ATF registry. They will remove it and cancel your form 1. Or if the buyer wants the SBR, start the form 4 transfer process. Either way, let the buyer decide. But chances are, you are going to sell a rifle, not an SBR.

Top Bottom