Resume/Job search help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Went in to work this morning and got my pink slip. (Restructure, Position Eliminated)
    I figured it was coming, but not this soon, so I have a couple of job possibilities I've been nurturing.
    But I really need to work on my resume and resume writing in not my strongest attribute.

Any body here know of someone good at writing resumes?
    Mine just looks like bullet points and facts.
    It needs a little something more.

For the last 10 years I've been the IT Director at a rural hospital.
    Mostly self taught, no degree or certifications. Just experience.

Previous experience includes car sales (2 yrs), welding supply sales (2 yrs), State Park Ranger (LE) (3 yrs), and fast food food management(2 yrs).

Thanks,
    Charles

P.S. Wife called while I was typing this. She is headed home from work early, same employer that laid me off today, so not sure what going on with her job. Prayers needed.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Wife gave 90 day resignation today.

Was told she wouldn't be kept much longer and if she gave a 90 day they would try to get her a severance package for 90 days pay.
    I thinks they just still need information that she has and are just using her and dangling the severance package promise to get the information.
    She does still have her keys, but will only be going back to give the information they need from her.

Even though we have suspected it was coming it's still not easy knowing both incomes are gone.

God is in control of it all.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    She has been at the hospital for 15 years.

Currently doing HR work (studying for her certification), has done accounting and administrative work there also.
    She did the work of the Assistant Administrator with out the title for the lost several years.

Tboh21

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Join the party. Be positive. There is work for someone that knows IT. Resume help is all over the place. I just got a template and added my info with 'Less is more' in mind. It's the cover letter and landing the interview that will help the most.
    Best of luck.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If you want to PM me your resume I can look it over and offer suggestions for ya :) Drop me a PM for my email if you are interested.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Once you get your resume up to date, make a Linkedin.com profile. Join every jobsite you can find, upload your resume and make it available to recruiters. With your experience the headhunters will search you out. Make sure you post your resume to Monster.com, Indeed.com and Careerbuilder.com. Those seem to be the bigger ones recruiters use.

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    Wish y'all the best. Job market is tough right now, not gonna lie. I finally got a decent job offer yesterday after 6 months+ of searching. Definitely put resume online such as Monster, HeadHunter, and Indeed for starters.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    ISS in Arnaudville is hiring for people to work offshore. They have people from all over the country working from that yard, can also go international. PM me for more info

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Thanks for all the encouragement and support.
    Wife and I spent some time with our pastor and his wife last night getting some direction and spiritual support.

We've both been getting a lot of calls, text and emails from friends, family, and former coworkers with encouragement and support.

Also making vision, dental, and annual checkups scheduled before we lose insurance.

Not looking to work offshore right now, but that may change in a month of so. I have several potential jobs I'll be sending a resume to over the next few days.
    Several friends we have made in the rural healthcare field are getting the word out and have offered to give recommendations.

I have summer camps the 2nd and 3rd weeks of June that I am supposed to be working at so I really don't want to go to work until after that.

Rockmup,
    My wife does HR work and has several contacts at Kelly Temp that we will be reaching out to.

Thanks again for all the support.

Charles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sollidus_
    Top Bottom