Review: Shokz Bone Conduction Headphones

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Around Prime Day I saw a special for the Shokz headphones which reminded me that I already owned a pair that I originally bought for backpacking, but forgot about as they lived in the hip-pouch on my pack. I ended up pulling them out of the pack and have used them every single day for the past ~3 weeks, including at the shooting range which prompted this post.

I generally hate having earbuds in my ears, so I'm not a fan of Airpods or comparable products that go in your ears. For whatever reason I've just never found a comfortable pair, even when switching the in-ear part for different sizes. The benefit of the Shokz is that they are bone conduction and go right in front of your ear so you can hear the outside world through your unobstructed ears.

They also work if you have foam earplugs in....which is nifty if you want to listen to a podcast or music while at a shooting range. Anyway, most of the time I use my electronic earmuffs, so that's not really a consideration, but I was listening to an audiobook that I really wanted to progress on, so I said screw it and gave them a shot while at the range. They worked quite well.

Now I'm about to go take the pup for a walk and threw them on to listen to more of the audiobook ("The Final Empire" by Brandon Sanderson) and figured I'd share some positive feedback on here.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    269   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Not sure that I would want to be "distracted" while shooting... I can possibly understand something like music, for some "background noise" but listening/digesting an audio book while shooting seems to be multitasking gone wrong. Just me though, to each his own.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have three pairs of them. One of the first gen and two of the newer Open Run models. I love them. I mainly listen to podcasts all day at work. I used to wear just one earbud in my ears while at work to listen to podcasts all day. I have a mild case of tinnitus and have always been worried about making it worse so I would always keep the volume pretty low. But a lot of times I was rewinding to hear something that I missed. When I first saw the Shokz years ago at Sam's Club, I jumped on them immediately.
    The first pair was replaced under warranty after one of the speakers crapped out. Fast an easy experience with customer service. I ended up with two of the newer Open Run models when they swapped out another set because the charging jack went bad. They upgraded me since the original model was no longer available. Then two weeks later, a second set showed up. Who am I to refuse a second free item??
    Haven't had any issues with any of the three since. I can get a full day , 8-10 hours, of listening at work in a single charge. I keep two at work in case I forget to charge one. A day without listening to something is a bad day at work. The third stays at home and is mainly used to listen to YouTube videos without disturbing anyone else.
    I love the fact that you can wear them and still hear the outside world. When I first started wearing them at work, the safety guy tried shutting me down. But I let him try them out at the volume I was listening and he changed his story.
    I'll never go back to earbuds or headphones as long as these are available.

If anyone is interested in them, Sam's Club has them on sale for $79 for a couple of more days.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I really like them. I used to wear in ear buds while riding my bike or my Onewheel but could not easily hear anybody coming up from behind. Got startled a few times and almost fell down so I went out and bought some Shokz. Now I wear them exclusively for riding. It really allows me to hear my surroundings. When I am on an airplane or a place where I don’t need to be spatially aware I will do my AirPods. You do give up a little sound quality but the safety benefits are well worth it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Bike riding is about the only time I wear mine, unless my earbuds are dead when I’m watching something on the tablet or listening to music, but never while shooting. Mine were a gift from my Audiologist wife who is forever trying out all the latest audiophile goodies. I’m still a huge fan of Etimotic Research as a result of her suggestion and gifting me some earbuds.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Bike riding is about the only time I wear mine, unless my earbuds are dead when I’m watching something on the tablet or listening to music, but never while shooting. Mine were a gift from my Audiologist wife who is forever trying out all the latest audiophile goodies. I’m still a huge fan of Etimotic Research as a result of her suggestion and gifting me some earbuds.
    Which ones does she recommend for earbuds? Does she have a recommendation for OTE? My Bose QC2s are getting a little old...

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    167   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Which ones does she recommend for earbuds? Does she have a recommendation for OTE? My Bose QC2s are getting a little old...
    As far as I know, Etymotic still does not produce anything blue tooth equipped. I have the ER6, H5 and I recently received a pair of the new ER4XR series phones.
    They’re all wired. All I can tell you is, nothing comes close. On a dinky Sony Walkman CD player, the experience is beyond anything audible on the planet. I hear subtle things in songs that I never heard before with any other phones. Wireless is great, but none hold a candle.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    As far as I know, Etymotic still does not produce anything blue tooth equipped. I have the ER6, H5 and I recently received a pair of the new ER4XR series phones.
    They’re all wired. All I can tell you is, nothing comes close. On a dinky Sony Walkman CD player, the experience is beyond anything audible on the planet. I hear subtle things in songs that I never heard before with any other phones. Wireless is great, but none hold a candle.

Ugh, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, LOL!

I don't know that I have any devices with audio ports nowadays.

Top Bottom