Ruger 25 round mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Anyone have problems with Ruger 25 round mag. I have a 10/22 I bought in the 70's, Ruger didn't make 25 rounder back then so I bought a 25 round mag made by Ramline. Never had issues with it. Recently I bought 2 Ruger mags. First I had to force them into the mag well and pry them out.
    After taking comparative measurements between the original 10 and the 25 I found a substantial difference in the distance between the small pin and the large pin that locks the mag in the well. Using a file on the large pin I file it down to the same dimension as the 10 round mag and it now easily slips in and out but still locks firmly in place.
    I emailed Ruger, told them the issue and asked if they had altered dimensions on the mags or mag well over the years, they said no.
    I get a much greater number of malfunctions with the 20 round mags than I do with the 10 round mags both before I modified them and after. Ammo brand doesn't seem the make a difference. Anyone have similar problems.

jlw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Due east
    The Ramline mag that I had was terrible, but I have only heard good things about the BX25 mags, other than this thread that is.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    We shot a lot yesterday and had lots of problems with 2 25rd Ruger mags with 3 different ammo types. Both mags have previously worked well. We ended up sticking to 10 rnd mags.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Another point about 10/22 magazines:

They hate lead ammo. Only use copper washed, or poly coat ammo.

Most lead .22 ammo has a waxy lube on it. this will build up inside of the magazine and attract dirt. Eventually it will induce malfunctions, and require cleaning.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have a metal lathe so I will open a mag up and machine a part to close up the slop. Probably will use delrin plastic, it is slippery. Will report back.

First report. I drilled a 3/16" hole 3/8" deep in a 1/2" delrin rod. I then turned down the outer diameter of the rod to a diameter that allowed the spring retainer to easily slip over the rod and then turned a 1/16" thick head on the rod slightly smaller in diameter than the spring retainer. With the bushing in the spring retainer I pushed it over the pin on the follower. The mag loads the same and I hand cycled 50 rounds with only one failure to extract. When the rain ends I will take it to my range and run firing test.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.jpg
      IMG_0012.jpg
      260.2 KB · Views: 201
    • IMG_0013.jpg
      IMG_0013.jpg
      207 KB · Views: 190
    Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    In troubling shooting the magazine issue I discovered another issue, this time with the rifle. I bought it this past December as a gift for my granddaughter. From the beginning the bolt hold back catch was difficult to dis-engage.
    You really had to push several time before it would release. I decided to modify the catch to drop free when the bolt is pull back. I did this to mine years ago and don't see why it is not a factory feature.
    After the modification it still would not drop free. On inspection the left side of the catch was dragging enough against the side of the slot in the trigger housing. The catch appeared fine, I think maybe the polymer housing isn't as dimensionally as accurate as the machined aluminum housing on the older guns. I solved the problem by ever so sightly bending the catch where it goes through the slot to free it up. I now drops free when the bolt is pulled back.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I’ve seen other references to the issue of poor fit with the older 10/22’s and it even came up here within the past year.

In this case it was poor fit with both old and new guns.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I modified 2 mags with the bushing. One mag preformed flawlessly the other kept having issues where the bullet nose would jam against the magazine feed ramp and not allow the bolt to close. It would put a significant dent in the bottom half of the bullet nose. It seemed this occurred more during the first 5 or so rounds then with the last 20. I went back and slightly increased the angle of the follower and increased the radius and polished the feed ramp, it was very rough when viewed under magnification.
    Again it hand cycled 25 rounds perfectly, need another trip to the range to try live fire cycling.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Another point about 10/22 magazines:

They hate lead ammo. Only use copper washed, or poly coat ammo.

Most lead .22 ammo has a waxy lube on it. this will build up inside of the magazine and attract dirt. Eventually it will induce malfunctions, and require cleaning.

Bumping this thread up, because I actually acquired a new pack of Federal copper plated .22lr and it has wax lube on it. After loading a few of my BX-25 mags, I noticed it building up on my thumb and it became sort of grainy.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Bumping this thread up, because I actually acquired a new pack of Federal copper plated .22lr and it has wax lube on it. After loading a few of my BX-25 mags, I noticed it building up on my thumb and it became sort of grainy.

Geco ammo is like this too. Its almost wet it seems. But it does generally function well for me. Germans make good stuff.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Like I’ve heard and repeated to a few people before, if you own a 10/22 and shoot it frequently, learn how to disassemble and clean the mags. From the 10 round to the 25, the primary issue I’ve run into is fouling. Tear them down, clean out the junk and reassemble. Make sure to rewind the spring correctly on those that apply and they’ll run like new. There are plenty of YouTube vids to help.
    I had a guy sell me a handful of 10 round mags super cheap and he told me they were crapping out on him. Cleaned them up and they run like new.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom