Ruger 25 round mags

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I have two of them, one works flawlessly and the other doesn't feed if you put more than 20 rounds in it.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I now have two ruger 10/22s ( newer models) and 10 BX25 magazines in rotation as well as 4 still in packages brand new. I’ve never had an issue when running them and don’t even bother taking the 10rd mags along when shooting. The only time I ever had one *malfunction* on me was one I specifically set aside and did not clean. I let it get as dirty as I could stand before cleaning it. When the mag was absolutely caked with lead I ran about 125 rounds through it specifically and had 2 failures which luckily for me and my 10/22s is 2 more than I’m used to experiencing.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    I now have two ruger 10/22s ( newer models) and 10 BX25 magazines in rotation as well as 4 still in packages brand new. I’ve never had an issue when running them and don’t even bother taking the 10rd mags along when shooting. The only time I ever had one *malfunction* on me was one I specifically set aside and did not clean. I let it get as dirty as I could stand before cleaning it. When the mag was absolutely caked with lead I ran about 125 rounds through it specifically and had 2 failures which luckily for me and my 10/22s is 2 more than I’m used to experiencing.

Which ammunition do you prefer in the 10/22? I just got a pair of them for my wife and I and have mostly CCI mini mags and Rem golden bullets ...you think the gb's will plink without any fails?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Which ammunition do you prefer in the 10/22? I just got a pair of them for my wife and I and have mostly CCI mini mags and Rem golden bullets ...you think the gb's will plink without any fails?

I’ve ran countless types of ammo through mine without issue. Ive ran mini mags as well as the 36gr hollow point golden bullet and the 40gr plated round nose golden bullet. They aren’t really picky at all hell I’ve even shot a good bit of Remington sub Sonics as well as CCI subsonics without issue.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    As a matter of fact I still have all of the upgraded parts I’ve still never installed and a set in route right now for the second one. I ordered the titanium firing pin, Eagle claw extractor, silent bolt pin, mag release extension and a few other items but never did get around to installing them because the gun runs great as is out of the box.

foz1359

Time Traveler
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Jefferson Parish
    I watched a few vids of guys trimming a coil from the return spring and polishing the sear -these were mods I was going to do. Have you considered this mod per the YouTube vid by Brimstone (type in 10/22 Sear Polish)?

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have tried them all and they all jam. Ruger, Ramline, Champion, and more. Jam in New and old 10/22's. Even with round nose ammo. The only extended mag I have that works is some no name brand mag I picked up in the 1990's at a gun show. Wish I new what it was. Think it was some of the very first extended mags offered.

jude0718

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    All my box-25 run perfect . I am also a fan of the gsg drum . I am very addicted to shooting the 10/22 and building them to run better

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have tried them all and they all jam. Ruger, Ramline, Champion, and more. Jam in New and old 10/22's. Even with round nose ammo. The only extended mag I have that works is some no name brand mag I picked up in the 1990's at a gun show. Wish I new what it was. Think it was some of the very first extended mags offered.

Probably Ramline, I had one from the 80’s.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Man that’s crazy so you don’t get good reliability out of the ruger brand mags? All of mine run flawlessly and always have regardless of what 10/22s I’m using then in mine or someone else’s. How many 10/22 do you own? New or older model?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I watched a few vids of guys trimming a coil from the return spring and polishing the sear -these were mods I was going to do. Have you considered this mod per the YouTube vid by Brimstone (type in 10/22 Sear Polish)?
    I’m going to have to look into that thanks for the heads up. I figured when I bought another one a few months back I would do any and every performance upgrade I could on one of them and completely deck it out. I ordered a ton of parts from tandemkross and they are still just sitting in my guns parts container. Every time I pull them out they run flawlessly for the entire time we’re shooting. I just ordered all the same parts for the second one I own but like I mentioned I’m kind of regretting placing the order now. My plans now are to just keep one completely stock as is and the older one install all of the performance upgrades. I’m just hoping after installing them the gun continues to run as it always has lol.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Let me add one more thing about to BX-25 ruger magazines. Originally I used to clean them all every time and I shot the gun I cleaned it as well as the magazines. Just recently I’ve decided let me just see how long this sucker will run dirty. I’m at 1,200 rounds now without a cleaning and she’s still running. Last time I took her out I put 400 rounds through her. The gun is pretty dirty now I’m itching to give it a good cleaning but I kind of just want to see if I can get it to the 2k round mark without cleaning it if it will still run. I also on average bring 6-10 magazines so now that I have as many as I do they don’t get nearly as dirty as they did when I only owned 4 of them.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    I have three. One from the 1972, 1982, and a take down from 2014. Even Ruger mags give me fits. I will have several shoot all 25 with out and issue then experience random jamming. I have never had a jam with factory 10 round mags. The extended mags fit loose so I think they move in a spot that makes it jam.

I only shoot Remington Thunder Bolt Ammo. I have buckets of it.

tlfis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2021
    Breaux Bridge. La
    I also have or had a 10/22 but from early 80's before rebuild of rifle no problem with bx-25 insertion into mag well, but had issues with ammo not feeding correctly into chamber. made changes to rifle like a kidd single stage trigger so that the bx-25 did not wiggle as much and also changed ammo to Premium ammo, now mag fits great and no feeding issues.

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    I have three. One from the 1972, 1982, and a take down from 2014. Even Ruger mags give me fits. I will have several shoot all 25 with out and issue then experience random jamming. I have never had a jam with factory 10 round mags. The extended mags fit loose so I think they move in a spot that makes it jam.

I only shoot Remington Thunder Bolt Ammo. I have buckets of it.

What I have found is because of the rimmed case the angle the bullet is presented changes as the ammo in the mag increases, bullets start to go nose down jam against the bottom edge of the chamber. I slightly modified the follower to increase the nose up angle on it and the full mag jamming issue went away.

Top Bottom