Ruger 77/22 Extractor......it's gone. Need to replace it

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Anyone out there have experience with replacing the extractor on a Ruger M77/22?? Haven't shot the thing in years and even back then it really wasn't extracting the cases well. Shot it today and it aggravated the hell out of me, so when I got it home, I delved into the problem. THE EXTRACTOR IS GONE. Yeah, it's just not there. The spring and plunger are sitting in their place, but no extractor. 180 deg on the other side of the bolt head, the other thing that looks like an extractor (the "cartridge support") is there.

Numrich Arms has the extractor. I'm just wondering how it replaces. To me, it looks like you just compress the plunger and spring back into the recess, stick the new extractor in the slot, then let the plunger go.
    Can't find any How-To's on youtube.
    Anyone got any idea where I can find something?
    Thanks a bunch for any help.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I would just contact Ruger, they have great customer service. You can probably get them to just send you an extractor without sending the gun into them. It doesn’t matter if you’re the original owner or not with Ruger.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Thanks for your replies, Jstudz220. Appreciate you taking the time and also the offer. In another forum, a person said Ruger would NOT send him the extractor since it should be fitted by them. And during my searching, the 10-22 and the 77/22 extractors aren't the same animal.
    I'm gonna order the extractor from Numrich (little over $7) and see what I can do with it. If it doesn't work out, I'll punt and take it to a gunsmith.
    Jimmy

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    No worries brother and good luck. Personally I would still attempt to give ruger a call, depending on who you get as a customer service rep they may just mail you one out.

The day I brought home my ruger pc carbine I noticed online ruger didn’t sell very many spare parts at all for it. Of course being my impatient self I stripped the gun down to clean it without watching any videos or reading the directions. When taking the extractor off of the bolt to clean the shipping preservative oil off of it I misplaced the extractor spring. I called ruger and at first they wanted me to send them the entire gun just to install the extractor spring. I told the guy straight up I’m not a gun smith but I’m fairly savvy with firearms and I do most of my maintenance/work on them myself. After about 20 seconds of reasoning with him he agreed to send me a spring in the mail. Go figure just as soon as I cleaned up my mess and picked everything up I found the little sucker right under me where I was standing.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    No worries brother and good luck. Personally I would still attempt to give ruger a call, depending on who you get as a customer service rep they may just mail you one out.

The day I brought home my ruger pc carbine I noticed online ruger didn’t sell very many spare parts at all for it. Of course being my impatient self I stripped the gun down to clean it without watching any videos or reading the directions. When taking the extractor off of the bolt to clean the shipping preservative oil off of it I misplaced the extractor spring. I called ruger and at first they wanted me to send them the entire gun just to install the extractor spring. I told the guy straight up I’m not a gun smith but I’m fairly savvy with firearms and I do most of my maintenance/work on them myself. After about 20 seconds of reasoning with him he agreed to send me a spring in the mail. Go figure just as soon as I cleaned up my mess and picked everything up I found the little sucker right under me where I was standing.
    LOL!! I ordered the extractor from Numrich on Sunday. I'll update the thread if I'm successful. In the interim, I had emailed the tech dept at Brownells and they told me it should just drop in. Like you, I've done a lot of gun repair/maintenance in my day, including trigger jobs, rebluing, cutting stocks and installing adjustable butt pads, and replacing a broken hammer on my SKB (Ithaca 600) skeet gun.
    I brought a Rem 1100 to a "gunsmith" years ago to cut the stock so I could install a recoil pad. He screwed up the pitch so bad, I had to make my own spacer to fix it. That's the only gunsmith I've ever used. Can't afford 'em anyway.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    OK, update on the 77/22 extractor.
    Got the extractor from Numrich. Placed it in the bolt--without installing the spring and plunger just to see what it looked like. Didn't look like it was gonna work. Just didn't seem like it wanted to toggle like it should. In the interim I contacted Ruger via their online message system; told them I ordered a replacment from Numrich and asked them if it would require "fitting". They replied, saying they were gonna ship me an extractor, spring and plunger. Wow! Go figure. In so many words, they were giving me the go-ahead to install it myself.
    That encouraged me to get serious with the extractor from Numrich and put it in with the spring. Haven't taken it out and fired it yet, but the gun is now chambering loaded rounds and ejecting them 4ft across the room. (Fist pump!)
    I don't think I was being too over-cautious, since an improperly-installed or malfunctioning extractor, being slammed over the rim of a .22, could actually become a firing pin. Not good.
    Over the course of hours, I couldn't find one, single article or video on replacing the extractor on the 77/22. I think I could've found Obama's college transcripts or actual birth certificate (not the digitally-altered one) in less time.
    Gunsmith? I don't need no stinking gunsmith. LOL!
    Thanks to anyone who took the time to read all of that.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Obama info lol. No way...The instructions on installing the extractor is on Hunters Laptop. Or was it on Hillary's servers at the mom and pop place.
    Maybe The info is Classified, and the FBI took it from Trumps Place in Florida?
    He must have had important info like that.
    All kidding aside.....

Glad to see ya fixed it. Ruger has always been good to me.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Obama info lol. No way...The instructions on installing the extractor is on Hunters Laptop. Or was it on Hillary's servers at the mom and pop place.
    Maybe The info is Classified, and the FBI took it from Trumps Place in Florida?
    He must have had important info like that.
    All kidding aside.....

Glad to see ya fixed it. Ruger has always been good to me.
    We think alike, Kevin.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom