Ruger American bolt action.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Got my wife a 308. She loves it but it's her first rifle. It's a great shooting rifle and extremely accurate. A couple things that drive me crazy about it is the bolt is easy to move up when the gun is loaded, you have to keep an eye on it while carrying it around the woods and the safety is loud and stiff. You can't take the safety off quietly. Other than that it's fantastic

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I had a compact in 22 magnum and it shot great. Its a great little gun. 22 magnum ammo was getting expensive and hard to find so I sold it. Probably get another one if 22 mag comes back in stock for decent prices. I also have a compact in 308 and it shoots great and easy to carry.

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    While I really like my Savage 93R17F .17HMR, I'm really seriously considering replacing it with the RAR Rimfire in that caliber.
    I already own two RAR centerfires (.308 and .243), and I really like them. And I like the RAR's flush rotary magazine.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    I have the Savage .17 HMR thumbhole stock model. That is the most comfortable stock I've ever held. Cabela's has five of the Ruger American .22's In the used section for $249. Fifty bucks off normal price. What's odd is they all have the factory stickers still on them. Totally unmarked. I plan to go get one on Sunday.

Last edited:

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    Doug76,

If you want a RAR in the .22 LR they have four left at the gun library at Cabela's and they are on sale an additional 10% off. With tax is $244.11. Just got home with mine. Comes with the box and all factory accessories. These have never been fired. They all have the factory stickers on the stock and not a scratch in the chambers.

molonlabe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Baton Rouge, La
    wiliermdb: what is the practical application of having one in our region? Did you buy it for squirrel hunting, or just target practice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    Same reason I have five other .22 rifles. Squirrel and rabbit hunting here and in Texas and Mississippi. My brother lives near Austin and I can rabbit hunt in large open fields on private property. In Mississippi I can squirrel and rabbit hunt on my step children's grandfathers 200+ acres and target shooting throughout the year. Last year for dove season we picked off quite a few using subsonic and CB shorts with bolt actions just to see if we could do it. The land in Texas I have access to is 3 miles wide and 4 miles deep. We stand in the bed of a truck and just look through the scope and pick them off. Makes it challenging. I plan to try out my Savage .17 HMR this year for Texas rabbits.

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    I have the RAR compact in .22Mag. I mounted a Nikon Rimfire 3-9x40. It is a great setup. The rifle is incredibly accurate and well made. It's also easy to clean thanks to the forged barrel. Go for it!

Doug76

Road Warrior
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    Southshore
    Doug76,

If you want a RAR in the .22 LR they have four left at the gun library at Cabela's and they are on sale an additional 10% off. With tax is $244.11. Just got home with mine. Comes with the box and all factory accessories. These have never been fired. They all have the factory stickers on the stock and not a scratch in the chambers.

Nah, I like my Ruger 10/22, and don't need to consider another .22LR rifle. But thanks for the info, it's sure to help someone else.
    But the .17HMR is another story. Don't anyone get me wrong, the Savage 93R17F I own is a tack driver, and I have absolutely no complaints about it, and I do in fact highly recommend it.
    But the new Ruger has a flush fitting rotary mag of higher capacity, and I expect I'll like the feel of the gun better also. As long as it shoots as well as the Savage I'll keep it, once I have it to test. But whichever gun wins out, I'm sure one of my friends will enjoy receiving the cast off.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    Took the Ruger American to a friends property. Sighted in the Simmons .22 mag at 40 yards for squirrels. After 5 rounds I got another 3 x 5 rounds in a 3/4 inch circle. Quite happy with that. Also brought the newly acquired Ruger 22/45 for the initial firing. Fun gun to shoot.

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    Just received the March issue of American Rifleman and there is a multi-page article on the Ruger American .22 lr and mag. Just bought one and was excited to see the article.

Plane to go burn up some ammo this weekend.

Top Bottom