Ruger SR22 (rifle) and Remington Thunderbolts

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I've been having this rifle for about 2 years now -- really fun to shoot but does NOT like Remington thunderbolts! It will shoot just fine with the plated Remington Golden bullets, CCI -- weapon cycles just fine but the barrel leads up after 30 or so rounds with the thunderbolts. I'm shooting slowly (not rapid fire) and I'll notice my shots start traveling to the left and low. I also see some small lead shavings on the shooting table....

The Ruger SR22 is essentially a 10/22 dressed up like an AR.

I seem to have a lot less issues with the copper pated stuff -- Anyone else with the Ruger 10/22 have issues with Thunderbolts leading up the barrel? I have 2000 rounds of this stuff :mad:!!

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    Remington thunderbolts! function in few firearms , I once bought a bucket of them and had to buy a cheap single action relvolver just to get rid of them .

They did not function in 3 different 10/22
    browning buck mark
    marlin papoose
    ar-7
    ruger sr-22 pistol
    high standard pistol

cci mini MAG ARE THE MOST RELIALBE
    CCI SV ARE USUALLY MOST ACCURATE
    CCI BLAZER ARE GTG

FEDERAL HAVE A ACCEPTABLE COST TO MALFUNCTION , BUT DO HAVE SOME DUDS FLIERS AND SUCH

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    You would have to post that about Remington thunderbolts. I could have learned that two weeks ago; brand new box $35 down the drain.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    I had my S&W 22A-1 do that when it was new (using thunderbolts). When I cleaned it, I was getting lead slivers out of the barrel. After several good cleanings it had two black specs midway down the barrel that would not come out. I think they were burs. I sent it to S&W and it came back with a new barrel. It runs thunderbolts now.

Throwing lead shavings after 30 rounds sounds like a bigger problem than ammo. It only takes a tiny defect to shave lead and if some lead stays in the barrel it will get worse with every shot. I'd check the bore and the muzzle crown closely.

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    While were on the subject of 22 ammo. All I can find cheap anymore is the Federal Match target loads (40 gr 1200 fps) in 325 round boxes. Is anyone having problems with it or finding a need to clean chambers, bolts, and recievers more often with it?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    3 Hours later == I have found out that my takedown screw was loose!!!! And when I say loose I could take my fingernail and unscrew it. Could this have been my problem? I remember shooting thunderbolts in this rifle before and just like all the other 22LR ammo it was just powder dirty but I didn't have a lead shaving problem......and the last two times I shot it (when I had the problems) all I shot was T-bolts. Maybe when I shot everything else this screw was tight and by coincidence when I shot the T-bolts it became loose???
    Maybe I should use some blue Loctite on it.....????
    AND - I cleaned the barrel again and it is mirror clean without any burrs or black specks...it is squeaky!!
    Whadda ya think? I'll give it a whirl next weekend (fingers crossed)..........

Last edited:

FORman

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Lafayette LA
    Action screws can effect accuracy, but I don't know anything about AR based 22's. Good luck next weekend!

Last edited:

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Action screws can effect accuracy, but I don't know anything about AR based 22's. Good luck next weekend!

Thanks -- this rifle is usually a tack shooter from 50 yards so when this started happening I panicked!

Also, I have found that the hollow tipped 22 would have some infrequent FTF issues with the Ruger BX25 magazines......and don't even try the Butler Creek mags - they were complete garbage. But I never had a lead shaving issue until just recently. I am going to pick up some blue Loctite today -- it can't hurt! Unlike a lot of people, I will post back with my findings next week (fingers crossed).

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    I have not used the sr22 rifle , but I am quite proficient with the 10/22. If you had problems with butler creek steel lips you have some mag welll fitment issues. generally the butler creek works better out of box than the ruger bx 25 , but the bx25 "adjusted is 100 percent.

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    Pretty crappy round in a long gun . My daughter's Marlin hated them. They worked okay in my Ruger SA though - so we finished them off and swore them off! Live and learn.

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    It's not your rifle , or how fast you shoot , it's the Thunderbolt ammo . It used to be okay, but lately it has started causing leading problems in barrels and it seems a lot dirtier than the old Thunderbolt . The loose screw might cause some accuracy problems but not a leaded up barrel .
    Solution is easy don't shoot it If enough people stop buying , maybe Remington will do something.
    Gary

Last edited:

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    No problem -- Still haven't tried my SR-22 rifle since my last post -- But will probably go shoot it this weekend......with the Thunderbolts.....wish me luck!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    UPDATE -- Well I FINALLY got the SR-22 out today -- With the takedown screw tightened with some blue Loctite on the threads, and squeaky clean barrel.

1. Shot 100 rounds of Remington Golden bullets -- no issues.....
    2. Decided to load 4 BX25 magazines with the Thunderbolts --- no problems -- checked barrel and no leading.
    3. Loaded the 4 BX's again, and one more time -- 300 rounds of Thunderbolts -- no problems. - no leading, no shavings!

While shooting the Thunderbolts, most sounded very strong but a few seem to have a light load. Now if a few squibs go through back to back the deposits will get to a point where it just compounds. Another thing is that my BX 25 mags will miss feed on the 2nd or 3rd cartridge if I load them to capacity BUT if I load 23 in them I can shoot all without any issues. BUT more importantly -- NO more lead shavings!

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    It is well known that some rifles have ammo preferences. Some will shoot/cycle anything and others just plain will not chamber or reliably fire other ammo. There are actual chamber differences, but that is another story. Thunderbolt ammo is a bulk ammo. Period. It is not match grade as you noticed with feeling light and heavy charges. I have bolt action rifles that fire it well as long as it is 25 yard tin can type targets. Not bad ammo, just inconsistent and rather dirty to shoot; these days it is better than no .22 ammo at all.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Well since I think I fixed my problem I won't be giving away 2.000+ rounds of 22LR Thundercraps!

Top Bottom