Rust prevention performance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgodenwa

May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    So the kid had to do a science project.
    I have had some recent problems with rusting guns, and I was starting to get suspicious of some of my products.
    So we got a welder to cut some squares out of the same piece of steel.
    Then we sanded each piece, cleaned it with gun scrubber, and sprayed or poured each product on a square and let the excess run off.

The contestants:
    http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/vgodenwa/2010scienceproject012.jpg
    2010scienceproject012.jpg

The 3 day results:
    rustforbayoushooter003.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/vgodenwa/rustforbayoushooter003.jpg
    The worst on the left is the control, next is TW25B, next is new improved Rem Oil, and the only other light rust showing is the last plate which is WD40 and is hard to see. You are looking for red rust. Ignore the black pits we couldn't get off. The target area is the center of each square - we pick them up by the edges.

I'm pretty shocked at the two obvious failures. I intend to run the test again, not only with the failures, but with other lubes, paints, greases, etc. I'll update this every so often - each product will run at least 30 days. These lubes are really getting better chances than they would get on guns, because most people apply lube with a rag or a Qtip, not a 3 second blast that would run all over the wood and into the action. Time will tell who works.

Von

Last edited by a moderator:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Obvious difference between a lubricant and a metal protector . The Boeing product appears to be doing pretty well in the short term .

vgodenwa

May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    Break free is doing Ok so far. Ignore the black pits and look for red.
    There may be some confusion in that the picture of the contestants is not the order of the plates.
    Follow the descriptions in the text. My bad for not aligning the pics.

Last edited:

vgodenwa

May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    Here is Friday. We have had several rain showers. Started this past Sunday, so 5 days.
    http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/vgodenwa/rustforbayoushooter010.jpg

As you can see, the 3 marine products in the middle are doing the best - no surprise.

The order from left to right is:
    1. Control
    2. TW25B
    3. Rem Oil new
    4. Kel 132B
    5. CRC marine
    6. T-9
    7. Break Free
    8. Rem Oil old
    9. WD 40

Here are close ups - the 5th plate on the first pic and first plate on the second pic are overlap (9 plates).

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/vgodenwa/rustforbayoushooter011.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/vgodenwa/rustforbayoushooter012.jpg

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Boeshield T-9 is THE BEST rust preventative on the market, bar none. I've used it for the past 7 years with zero issues. Just apply it to the OUTSIDE of the weapon and let it air dry or wipe it on. For those of you with HK P7s pay particular attention to this thread. Same with those who carry rolled steel slided Sig pistols.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Hey, sorry for the stupid question, but how aare you applying it. Are you using a brush and just brushing it on lightly? just curious.

Not stupid at all. I've been doing this for so long (I know it's dumb but) I have a couple rags so completely soaked with oil that I just rub down the piece with the rag(s) and it's liberally coated. I keep a cleaning tray on my workbench, and it's where I rub down all my oiled parts, so the oil stays in one place. By the way I use 2-stroke motor oil, because it has less detergents. A 2-stroke motor has like one moving part, so there's very little for detergents to clean. The motor oil is sticky and clingy and it lasts a loooooooong time.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Kudos on using the Scientific Method:

Constant conditions, Control group, Variables, etc...

Can't wait to see the final report/project.

You're kid will look like the new BILL NYE!!!

larm

Sep 8, 2009
    i had stored some parts in a ammo can and buried it...this is what i did... in 2000 i put a .30 cal can(filled with motor oil) inside a .50 cal can (filled with motor oil) and buired it. last year i dug it up to check. the .50 cal can had rusted, not quite thru thou, just a few pin holes, not enough for all the oil to leak out. the .30 ammo can and the parts where fine.
    i hope the break free does the best in your test, because i got acouple of gallons of it...lol

buddy_fuentes

Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    This is a great post. Thanks.

When I was a young Police Officer the issued weapon was a S&W blue steel Combat Master piece. As you can imagine we worked and all weather conditions and our guns saw salty sweat, rain, changing from A/C to heat, and anything else you can think of. I was spending a lot of time cleaning my gun to keep away the rust and then started using the Kel featured in your article (Teflon spray). I cleaned the gun with alcohol and then sprayed it on and rubbed it in with my fingers. I repeated the process several times a year and never had any rust.

To lube my guns I use Mobil 1, but that is not to prevent rust, just to lube.

Sorry, Break-Free isn't that great. As Steve said you must shake it up because it separates. If it separates in the bottle...couldn't it separate on the gun? :confused:

Where did you purchase the best performing rust preventative?

Thanks again for a great test.

vgodenwa

May 10, 2008
    Gloster, MS
    I had not intended to post anymore, but I got back from vacation and saw this test finally generated some interest, so here goes. (The test is over.)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/vgodenwa/finalbayoushooterrust077.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/vgodenwa/finalbayoushooterrust079.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/vgodenwa/finalbayoushooterrust081.jpg

The results are as follows:

1. The clear winner that destroyed the competition is CRC Marine.

2. The clear number 2 is Boeshield T-9.

3. The clear number 3 is Kel 132B.

Any of the first three products is an excellent rust preventative and would protect your guns quite well. This was not a salt water test, but we had extreme heat and humidity and dew during the test with pounding rain that probably washed off some of the lesser contestants. Obviously the marine folks know more about rust than the gun people. (These plates were in the middle of the photo.)

4/5/6. Three way tie is Breakfree, old Rem Oil, and WD-40. These do not really look better than the control at this time. However, they did last for a while and probably would be acceptable if reapplied every few days. (These plates were on the right in the photos.)

7/8. Two way tie is the new Rem Oil and TW25-B. These two do not look any better than the control at this time. By the second day they showed lots of rust. They are barely better than nothing and it is unknown if they would even work with a daily application. (These plates were on the left in the photo.)

9. Control (Far left plate.)

When the kid finishes the science fair, I will sand off the rust and redo the test with other chemicals, paints, greases, etc. This will be next summer.

Von

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
    Top Bottom