Safe organization and accessories

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Anyone use the rifle rods? Do they actually free up a lot of space?
    What other accessories or ideas do y'all use?
    I added a couple wireless under cabinet LEDs and they work great.

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    LED light strips around the interior of the door, and I love these magnetic tool holders from Harbor Freight to store metal mags in the unused space of the interior walls
    Magnet.jpg

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Cheaper option than the LED strips around the door, I used curtain pins (not sure what they're called, they look like big T's) to hang LED Christmas lights. Don't use old-time lights, they're too hot.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I use the rods that go into the barrel . The ends utitlize the hook and loop fastener design and will hold the gun straight up and down. This method does provide more usable space and can help decrease the ding effect of a crowded safe. Some guns will require more than one rod, and they are not really that cheap considering all they are is a plastic stick!

Fugum

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Metairie
    Cheaper option than the LED strips around the door, I used curtain pins (not sure what they're called, they look like big T's) to hang LED Christmas lights. Don't use old-time lights, they're too hot.
    I used those same pins, but cut off one part of the T so the remaining part allows you to slip these flat LEDs into the remaining section. I pretty much followed the below YT link to diy a motion activated light. Hopefully I'm allowed to post the link.

0eb0b53eb030ab25d894e62795df505a.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    The gun storage solutions rifle rod system seems expensive for what it is, some plastic rods and some hook loop material.

I was thinking about making a rifle rod system from carbon fiber rods and magnets and some sheet metal on the bottom of the shelf to attach to. Could achieve this for much cheaper and end up with a much better product.

I was thinking, drill the end of the rod and possibly screw into it or just epoxy the screw.

That said, I have little to no experience working with carbon fiber and I'm not sure if fiberglass or some other material would be better to work with and / or stronger.

Anyone have a better idea?

Here are a couple examples of the materials I'm looking at to make the rifle rods.

Magnets

Rods

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    I like the idea, and would imagine a good epoxy compatible with both material would work. But why not sub the magnet for a wooden disc with the appropriate side of the hook-n-loop? Much cheaper, and no need to add the sheet of metal?

I have thought of this before, but had already purchased the rods.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I like the idea, and would imagine a good epoxy compatible with both material would work. But why not sub the magnet for a wooden disc with the appropriate side of the hook-n-loop? Much cheaper, and no need to add the sheet of metal?

I have thought of this before, but had already purchased the rods.
    I have access to different sorts of sheet metal at work, so it would be free vs the hook loop material so the cost may end up being roughly the same for me but that is definitely a viable option.
    The main hangup for me so far is I don't know how strong the carbon fiber rods are.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Could do this and put the sheet metal between the tubing and the shelf. Wouldn't even need to fasten it, just bend it up on the back side and the ends so that it hugs the shelf.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    MY last safe and 15ish years ago i did thag very thing. Made my own rifle rods. I took 1/8" stick rods, knocked the flux off and welded washers on the ends. Dipped them in plasti dip and cut velcro to to fit the washers. They worked great for the 7ish years i used them. Lost them in the flood in 16. I purchased rifle rods this goround. I think my version of them was better...

Top Bottom