Satellite booster for cellphone

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    I have AT&T phone service on my Apple 8i, and I was wondering if there was an inexpensive solution to boosting cell phone range while up in the mountains. I hunt a private ranch in South Colorado near Chama, and would like to stay in touch with Family and friends.
    I have a Verizon MiFi, but it doesn't work when I get to the Ranch house, which is about 8 miles off the main road. Does such a thing exist, that wouldn't cost a fortune? I would only be using it about 3 weeks out of the year so not sure about a plan that I have to sign up and pay for a year, but only use it in October.
    I am not into tech stuff, I only got this 8i last year because my flip phone broke in half (seriously), and AT&T didn't have ANY flip phones. Thanks for any suggestions for a way to stay in contact with home while chasing Elk in the mountains..

Last edited:

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    I use SureCall Flare (about $350) to boost the weak Verizon signal at my home, but you first have to have a signal to boost. If you have no signal, or if the tower is blocked by a mountain at the ranch house, it may not work.

The booster has an outside antenna placed as high as possible that uses a cable to an inside booster/transmitter that also needs AC power. There are similar boosters used on RVs that you might use on your vehicle.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    As an alternative check out the Spot devices. When I use to hit the lesser traveled roads is the Southeast, Colorado and Utah I always had one in my pocket. If you can get a GPS signal you can stay in touch. Luckily I never had to use the "send help" message.
    They offer long term and flex contracts. Only pay for the time you need.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    I have done both.
    I currently use the wilson booster that is setup for rv. in my 4 runner.
    You would likely need an outside directional antenna if you are stationary.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lej1608
    Top Bottom