Savage FV-SR experience on saturday

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I picked up this gun on Monday last week.
    One Saturday, feeling under the weather I stayed inside and mounted the scope. A Mueller APV 4.5-14 and gave it a good cleaning.

Finally on Sunday I get out to our little range. Shooting on the bed cover of my truck @ 25 yards it was about 12" right and 6" Low.
    Took me 8 shots to get it 1/2" high dead center, then enjoyed some plinking.

I have been shooting all my life and never enjoyed it as much OR shot as well.
    I took a picture of the target but then lost it. 5 shot groups touching, using the Gemtech Subsonic rounds. Definitely head of squirrel

The trigger on this thing is amazing to me. I do need to add more weight in the butt stock(duct seal in a ziplock should help alot) and add an adjustible cheek rest.

I do need to get a bore sighter and work ALOT on my breathing, but I am loving this little thing.Can't wait to get the can on it in a month or so.

2 more weeks before I can get back to the range with it and will try to capture pictures this time. I see alot of fun with this thing.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    A lot of people don't realize how accurate the some of those Savage FVs can be right out of the box. I had one years ago that I had threaded and with my SWR Spectre it would shoot less than .25" at 100yds on a calm day. Other than the threading, the rifle was bone stock. A buddy of mine and I shot with it all day and just laughed at how accurate it was. 10 shot groups at 100yds could be covered with a dime and I had 1/4 the money invested in that gun than in the .308 I was running at the time. It's one of the few guns I regret selling and am still trying to build a .22lr that could match the accuracy of that gun.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    Yes, I was pleasantly surprised. I am looking forward to improving my skills and stretching distances out more

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I love mine. I couldnt stand that cheap plastic stock that comes with them though, so I got a boyds "tacticool" stock and really like it. mine is accurate enough with CCI Std velocity and federal gold medal, havent had a chance to run any of the Eley I recently purchased through it though. I can't shoot 100 yard groups like Ritten, but an inch to just under 2" at 100 is very easy to do. I got to shoot it at 200 yards and after getting the elevation down, it was easy for anyone who picked it up to hit consistently. Hopefully I can make it to the range this weekend and shoot it along with my CZ452 since I got a new stock for it as well.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I also have one. It's an excellent rifle for the price. Boyds makes a really nice stock for it. I plan on dropping mine in one soon. You need to get the extended hardware if you go this route though.

FVSR%20Mk4_zps1e523824.jpg

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    How does the accuracy of the Savage compare to that of the CZ452? I had a threaded CZ Scout that I'm still mad at myself for selling...

JR1572

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adgram1013
    Top Bottom