Sb 51 Help Needed Please Respond

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    PLEASE SEND A EMAIL TO OUR PEOPLE IN B.R. PLEASE !!!!!
    Dear Louisiana Gun Owner:
    Yesterday, the House Administration of Criminal Justice Committee passed NRA-backed SB 51 by Sen. Joe McPherson (D-Woodworth) on a 9-3 vote. SB 51 would protect your right to lawfully transport and store firearms in your locked motor vehicle, even while parked in unsecured, public access parking lots controlled by your employer or a business you frequent. The bill now moves to the House floor for consideration.

Big business lobbyists are working overtime to defeat this bill -- they do not speak for you! They speak for corporate executives who often don't even live or work in Louisiana or in the United States. They want to preserve the ability of these businesses to establish "No Firearms" policies that extend to your car or truck in their parking lots, which often times are accessible by the general public. This is an infringement on your right under Louisiana law to have a firearm in your vehicle, which is your private property and considered an extension of your home, and your right to protect yourself.

Your State Representatives need to hear from you! We need to show gun owners have just as loud a voice as big business, and that we represent more votes in Louisiana. Please call your State Representatives at 225-342-6945 or email them and urge them to support SB 51 when it comes before the full House for consideration in the coming weeks. You can find their email addresses at <http://house.louisiana.gov/>. Make sure you reference SB 51 in the subject line of your emails!

Please forward this alert to at least FIVE members of your family, your circle of friends, your gun club or your sporting organization who would support SB 51!

Megan Svajda
    NRA-ILA
    State & Local
    msvajda@nrahq.org
    703-267-1204

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    !!BUMP!!
    People, we need all the help we can get on this.
    Think about it this way. If your employer disarms you at your job, you are literally disarmed during your commute to and from work. Not just at work. You can't just leave your self defence weapon at the gate when you pull in in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon. I strongly urge you all to contact your State Representative and respectfully voice your opinions.

With the following link, you can find your state representatives by parish.
    http://house.louisiana.gov/H_Reps/H_Reps_ByParish.htm

Remember, these people work for YOU! So let THEM know how YOU feel.

Ok now to bring on the guilt.:)
    It is your responsability as a gun owner. You owe it to all of those who lost their lives for our freedome and to those still fighting for it now. It is our job to cover their six while they are not home. You can't do that un armed.

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I thought we already had case law that dictates that one's car is an extension of one's home with regards to what is kept in the locked areas of the vehicle?

The last time I was faced with signing one of these "give up your rights while on company property" clauses, I flat out refused to sign it and told the owners to fire me if they didn't like it. Of course, the way that particular company had the employees sign that form was when they were handing out payroll checks, so it probably wouldn't have stood up in court anyhow.

sawgrass

Hunka Hunka burning lead.
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Hammond
    Guys...take a moment and please send an email to your Rep. Ask them to vigorously suppor SB 51. Don't let your second ammendment rights erode due to government, industry and other interests. You know the saying: "give'em and inch and they'll take a mile". Your rights are like our eroding coastline, once they are gone, it's hard to replace. You can make a difference!

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    Guys...take a moment and please send an email to your Rep. Ask them to vigorously suppor SB 51. Don't let your second ammendment rights erode due to government, industry and other interests. You know the saying: "give'em and inch and they'll take a mile". Your rights are like our eroding coastline, once they are gone, it's hard to replace. You can make a difference!

If you ever read some of those clauses the private companies want you to sign, it is not just your 2nd Amendment right that you give up because they ask you to forgo your 4th Amendment right too. The clause at my former employer basically said they could search your vehicle any time with/without reason for illegal drugs, alcohol, or firearms.

ETA: email sent!

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    This clarifies the current law, afaik.

Not exactly.

Current law (actually, the school zone statute, combined with the LA Constitution) point toward a (limited) right to carry in your vehicle, free from government harassment.

This does something new and different- it restricts the limits of what contract agreements can be set regarding a business owner's real property vis an employee's movable property.

I have been pushing this, but (to be honest) I do have my reservations about it, being a staunch libertarian and all (and viewing the freedom to enter into voluntary contracts as inviolate).

I push it because I tell myself that a basic human right should not be contracted away.

The right answer, of course, is to not work for someone who seeks to infringe upon your right to self defense. I know that is not an easy sell to many people in hard job markets, though.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Contact Your Representative

If you doubt that it is important...........consider this.

When SB51 first came up for a vote before the full Senate, my Senator (Cassidy) voted against the bill.

I wrote a letter to him (contents were posted on BS.com) expressing my disappointment and requesting an explanation of his position.

I never received a response............but when the bill came up the second time in the Senate, my Senator managed to be absent for that vote. That's almost as good as voting "for." BTW...the bill passed the Senate on that second try.

Contact your Representative. Just ask him to vote "for" SB 51. No need for a long letter or detailed request. It can make a difference.

KEMOSABI

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Keep Up The Good Work Guys..in Numbers We Have A Vote,individually We Really Stand Very Alone And Weak...strength In Numbers !!!!!

Kemo

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    djrara323
    Top Bottom