SCAMS

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toodamgoofy

Don’t sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    CENLA
    If anyone has an account on Louisiana sportsman please pm me so I can send pictures of a scam artist trying to con people. I can’t post on that website anymore but people need to know about these thieves.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    It's common on there since the Rona started. Everyone knows and you just have to sort thru the crap. There's a couple of guys who call out the scammers on the regular, but it's pretty easy to spot. Send it to me and I'll post something if it's a new angle.

puritanize

Administrator
    Admin
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    Sanger, Texas
    It's common on there since the Rona started. Everyone knows and you just have to sort thru the crap. There's a couple of guys who call out the scammers on the regular, but it's pretty easy to spot. Send it to me and I'll post something if it's a new angle.
    I agree, it has become more common. It's also becoming harder to moderate new users. Normally a scammer might come from a dicey/odd ISP, nowadays they are coming from a good somewhat local ISP.

Anyone got any good tips? A deal I did some time ago, I made sure I got a call from the FFL stating that he had the firearm in hand ready to ship. Money transfers are instant these days so it was easy to just transfer funds once I got the call.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    My friend in Pearl River won 5.5 million from Publishers Clearinghouse. They called numerous times yesterday. Heck…he didn’t even enter. How lucky is that?!

Toodamgoofy

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    CENLA
    Here is what I found. They wanted cash then they wanted me to send them money through cash app or paypal or apple pay. If you notice the numbers or names all match in one way or another. It says they’re from Baton Rouge but it’s numbers from New Jersey and all kinds of places.

Attachments

• FC1F6FD2-3247-4372-97D1-36BA7EEC3091.jpeg
      FC1F6FD2-3247-4372-97D1-36BA7EEC3091.jpeg
      278.3 KB · Views: 71
    • 7280A36F-3F76-4EB8-B0A0-B7CE16CA0A85.jpeg
      7280A36F-3F76-4EB8-B0A0-B7CE16CA0A85.jpeg
      231.3 KB · Views: 82
    • 1CAB0DEB-E191-4175-93E3-6F1585211AAF.jpeg
      1CAB0DEB-E191-4175-93E3-6F1585211AAF.jpeg
      180 KB · Views: 70
    • 8DDC1D4F-BB08-467A-8C1E-4993BC811AEE.jpeg
      8DDC1D4F-BB08-467A-8C1E-4993BC811AEE.jpeg
      205.1 KB · Views: 79
    • 43ED948F-2702-4E5F-9B76-D7659A9290AA.jpeg
      43ED948F-2702-4E5F-9B76-D7659A9290AA.jpeg
      204.1 KB · Views: 66
    • D0FDFB11-BDB1-4D10-BF10-B0569DE328E2.jpeg
      D0FDFB11-BDB1-4D10-BF10-B0569DE328E2.jpeg
      215.5 KB · Views: 62

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    What I do for every post that has images is to reverse search the image with Google or TinEye. If nothing comes up that is a good sign that it is legit.

As for Ip address that is very easy to fake with VPN software. I use a VPN and search from other states and countries often.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    On LAS, it's pretty easy, click on the account name and it will tell you how old the account is. Basically, any and all new accounts are scams, and by new, I mean the past 2 years, but 9 times out of 10 when I click on an interesting good deal, the acct was created 4 hours ago...
    Most of the scam accts also have very plain sounding non-LA names with numbers after them -bobsmith223-, when 90% of the legit accts are alias names or are at least regional.

And anyone asking for $ before the sale -earnest $, gas $, deposit $- is a scam.

Additionally, there are absolutely no moderators policing LAS, so that's part of the problem. and the "Report Scam" button doesn't seem to do anything. It started 2 years ago and nothing has been done, so I'm assuming nothing will be done, so everyone has pretty much learned that they have to be smart about things, but I guess if you're a new user and miss one of the scam reports that pops up once or twice a week, it could be a problem.

Last edited:

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    And anyone asking for $ before the sale -earnest $, gas $, deposit $- is a scam.

Additionally, there are absolutely no moderators policing LAS, so that's part of the problem. and the "Report Scam" button doesn't seem to do anything. It started 2 years ago and nothing has been done, so I'm assuming nothing will be done, so everyone has pretty much learned that they have to be smart about things, but I guess if you're a new user and miss one of the scam reports that pops up once or twice a week, it could be a problem.

I mean that is common sense and is the core of a LS scam. Asking to send $ before an arranged meet. Anybody sending $ via a cash or payment app to a on line seller is a fool. Deposit, gas money, whatever.

What surprises me is thieves or criminals haven't started meeting buyers or sellers and jack them up. Set up a meet and rob them @ gunpoint. Like in crime ridden NO or BR. Couple years ago they met a guy selling a dirtbike on line and killed him and took his dirtbike.
    They have people who will murder for $100. How about for a $2000 Colt Python? Or $600 in cash?

LA Sportsman prob doesn't want to commit the man hours or expense to police their on line classifieds. I don't blame them either, policing/their time cost money. The ads are free for users. As I stated above, if you are so foolish to send any $ before a meet and greet, shame on you. Use common sense and ur brain, and you'll be ok.

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    What surprises me is thieves or criminals haven't started meeting buyers or sellers and jack them up. Set up a meet and rob them @ gunpoint. Like in crime ridden NO or BR. Couple years ago they met a guy selling a dirtbike on line and killed him and took his dirtbike.
    They have people who will murder for $100. How about for a $2000 Colt Python? Or $600 in cash?
    I think most of these are long distance scams, for 1. But also, think about it. when buying and selling firearms, you can assume that the person on the other end is also armed at a meet-up. Most criminals are like animals, they are looking for low-hanging fruit. Much better to rob someone who is probably NOT armed than someone who probably IS armed.

Wow! That almost sounds like "the only thing that deters a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Who woulda thunk? ( actually, I didn't even write that with this in mind, it just hit me at the end!) :dogkeke:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I think most of these are long distance scams, for 1. But also, think about it. when buying and selling firearms, you can assume that the person on the other end is also armed at a meet-up. Most criminals are like animals, they are looking for low-hanging fruit. Much better to rob someone who is probably NOT armed than someone who probably IS armed.

Wow! That almost sounds like "the only thing that deters a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun." Who woulda thunk? ( actually, I didn't even write that with this in mind, it just hit me at the end!) :dogkeke:
    You nailed it. They are just looking for easy money without having to get their hands dirty. Much easier to get someone to send you $600 and never see them than it is to meet them and physically take it knowing they are likely armed. They also know the chances of them getting in any sort of trouble for online scamming is slim to none.

DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    I mean that is common sense and is the core of a LS scam. Asking to send $ before an arranged meet. Anybody sending $ via a cash or payment app to a on line seller is a fool. Deposit, gas money, whatever.

LA Sportsman prob doesn't want to commit the man hours or expense to police their on line classifieds. I don't blame them either, policing/their time cost money. The ads are free for users. As I stated above, if you are so foolish to send any $ before a meet and greet, shame on you. Use common sense and ur brain, and you'll be ok.
    A post on BS a few months back: valuable-lesson-learned-last-night….204649

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    It’s so bad on there I don’t check it nearly as much as I used to…also I’m leery of 318 area codes associated with the post…

Last edited:

Toodamgoofy

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    CENLA

I’m law enforcement so I carry everywhere no matter what.

Old School

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    DTR
    I think its pretty much, buyer beware. if it don't feel right, don't do it. I bought a boat off of there and it was a good deal, but I did my homework and everything worked out.

Toodamgoofy

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2022
    CENLA
    It’s so bad on there I don’t check it nearly as much as 8 used to…also I’m leery of 318 area codes associated with the post…
    I’m in the 318 area code and if I text or call about a weapon you can guarantee I’m interested. Not like the scam punks on tje other side of the law.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I’m law enforcement so I carry everywhere no matter what.
    Please don’t take this as me attacking you or trying to start an argument. I know sometimes text can be easily misinterpreted but what does being law enforcement have to do with you always carrying? Is it department policy for where you work to carry even when off duty?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom