School Zone 1000 ft. law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • divealso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    As it relates to the 1000 ft. rule and school zones, I live within 1000 ft. of a school. Am I in violation when I carry a gun from my house to my vehicle?

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    No. Within that stupid law, there is actually an exception for private property.

(A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
    (ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
    (iii) that is—(I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
    (v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an employer of the individual;
    (vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
    (vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

divealso

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    No CHP yet. Both my wife and I will be taking the training soon. I am not carrying it to my vehicle concealed.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    No. Within that stupid law, there is actually an exception for private property.

While I agree with your post 100%, if he parks outside of his house lets say a quiet neighborhood that allows you to park ON the public street then he is no longer ON his property but on property that belongs to the parish or State, so there are factors that could determine if he is on legal grounds or not.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    While I agree with your post 100%, if he parks outside of his house lets say a quiet neighborhood that allows you to park ON the public street then he is no longer ON his property but on property that belongs to the parish or State, so there are factors that could determine if he is on legal grounds or not.

I started to ask if his vehicle was parked on his property but didn't

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I was stopped in a school zone passing through and was placed under arrest for having a firearm in my vehicle. I was instructed to pull into the school lot by the cop. He searched my car and sat me on the curb cuffed while school let out. The charges were dropped and I was released within an hour.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I was stopped in a school zone passing through and was placed under arrest for having a firearm in my vehicle. I was instructed to pull into the school lot by the cop. He searched my car and sat me on the curb cuffed while school let out. The charges were dropped and I was released within an hour.

What school? You should have gotten a motorcycle

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    St amant primary on hwy 429. It was a motorcycle cop and he stopped me for illegal tint. I had a friends younger brother say he saw me arrested at school with a gun. Didn't take that news long to spread.

I bet the news did travel fast. Is the arrest off your records since you didn't break the law you were arrested for? Wonder if the LEO ever read the law?

And now everytime you go for a CHP you would have to dig up the records for LSP to show what happened and the outcome just because the LEO didn't know the law.

Last edited:

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    He didn't know the law apparently, because after calling backup to haul me in he talked with him and came back acting like he was gonna do me a favor and let me go. I heard the other cop say if i didn't intentionally enter the school zone with a weapon I couldn't be charged.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    He didn't know the law apparently, because after calling backup to haul me in he talked with him and came back acting like he was gonna do me a favor and let me go. I heard the other cop say if i didn't intentionally enter the school zone with a weapon I couldn't be charged.

Sounds like the other one knew a little bit more than the first but not much more. If it was in your vehicle you would have still been Legal under La law.

geauxshootin

LA CHP Training and more
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Prairieville
    Sounds like the other one knew a little bit more than the first but not much more. If it was in your vehicle you would have still been Legal under La law.

sounds to me like neither of them knew the law! the second cop was referring to the first one making him pull onto school property

Last edited:

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    How did he find the gun???

I drive a show car and never get stopped without the magic question. Any weapons or drugs in the vehicle? Normally accompanied by I smell a faint scent of Marijuana, do you mind if I search? Then after talking and him searching and finding nothing I'm let go with a warning.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom