Schriever homeowner shoots and kills burglar, deputies say

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sawfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Houma, LA
    I just saw this on the Houma newspaper website:

http://www.houmatoday.com/article/2...meowner-shoots-and-kills-burglar-deputies-say

Schriever homeowner shoots and kills burglar, deputies say

Published: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 11:52 a.m.
    Last Modified: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 at 11:52 a.m.

HOUMA — A 34-year-old Thibodaux man was shot and killed Tuesday night after he another suspect broke into a Schriever house and were later confronted by the homeowner and his brother, deputies said.

Terry Hayes was shot in the garage of the house at 478 Main St. at about 10:30 p.m. He died at the house.

The homeowner and his brother, who police have refused to identify, live on the same property in separate homes, said Maj. Brent Hidalgo of the Sheriff’s Office. The homeowner’s brother called his sibling Tuesday night when he saw two men walking around the property.

When the homeowner arrived, he noticed a garage window was damaged and a motion-sensor light inside was on, deputies said.

The homeowner and his brother, who was armed with a handgun, opened the garage door and found the two men inside, deputies said. Hayes brandished a gun at the men and the homeowner’s brother fired two shots, one of which struck Hayes in the torso.

The other suspect, Charles Mouton, 42, of Thibodaux, was held at gunpoint by the homeowner’s brother until deputies arrived. Mouton was arrested on charges of aggravated burglary.

Hayes had previously been arrested for armed robbery, theft, burglary, illegal possession of stolen goods and illegal carrying of a firearm, among other charges, deputies said. Mouton has a similar arrest record.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    "Hayes had previously been arrested for armed robbery, theft, burglary, illegal possession of stolen goods and illegal carrying of a firearm, among other charges, deputies said. Mouton has a similar arrest record."

AWESOME!!! Less filth to deal with. Too bad Mouton didn't "brandish" as well and get the same dose of medicine.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    YAY for the good guy.

I really like this comment on the bottom of the page.....
    I'm eager to learn the identities of the two brothers who carried out their own justice, rather than doing what the 911 operator would suggest and cower in fear, waiting 15 minutes for the police to show up while two criminals turned their lives upside-down. I want to offer them a congratulations!

Maybe now these home invasions will begin to slack off, once they realize that sometimes we citizens are more than willing to 'do something about it'.

Please note, potential robbers, the only difference between these brothers and me is that if my home had been invaded, we would have had TWO dead criminals, rather than one.

Last edited:

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    It wasn't that it was in the wrong forum; just that there was a current discussion on the incident.

:)

Last edited:

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    YAY for the good guy.

I really like this comment on the bottom of the page.....
    I'm eager to learn the identities of the two brothers who carried out their own justice, rather than doing what the 911 operator would suggest and cower in fear, waiting 15 minutes for the police to show up while two criminals turned their lives upside-down. I want to offer them a congratulations!

Maybe now these home invasions will begin to slack off, once they realize that sometimes we citizens are more than willing to 'do something about it'.

Please note, potential robbers, the only difference between these brothers and me is that if my home had been invaded, we would have had TWO dead criminals, rather than one.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Thats what I love about the little town I live in everyone knows everyone and the only really crime they have is drugs. There isn't any home burglurys, shootings, or anything like that, I guess thats because there are no minorities.

Last edited:

apdanos

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2008
    Cut Off, LA
    Thats what I love about the little town I live in everyone knows everyone and the only really crime they have is drugs. There isn't any home burglurys, shootings, or anything like that, I guess thats because there are no minorities.

Don't let your guard down. Because as soon as the drug money is gone, they'll start burglarizing homes.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Terry Hayes: I gonna flash this BB gun to scare 'em.
    Homeowner: :BANG: :BANG:
    :biglaugh:
    Schriever man fatally shoots armed burglar

By Matthew Pleasant

HOUMA — An armed burglary that ended with a homeowner’s brother fatally shooting a suspect was preceded by a rash of similar crimes in the area, deputies said.

In the weeks before Tuesday night’s shooting, about 15 burglaries occurred, said Maj. Brent Hidalgo of the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff’s Office. Within the past month, missing goods including yard tools and even food have been reported to sheriff’s detectives.
    The high crime is unusual for the Schriever area, and detectives are investigating, he said.

“It’s a list (of goods) a mile long,” Hidalgo said. “That’s not normal.”

About 10:30 p.m. Tuesday, two brothers who live in the 400 block of West Main Street discovered a pair of men — one of whom was armed with a BB gun — who had broken into one of the men’s garage.
    The homeowner, Chris Derocher, and his brother, Bryan Derocher, live on the same property in separate homes.

Bryan Derocher called his sibling that evening when he saw two men walking around the property, deputies said.

When Chris Derocher, who was away from home, arrived, he noticed his garage window was damaged and a motion-sensor light inside the garage was turned on, deputies said.

Chris Derocher and his brother, who was armed with a handgun, opened the garage door and found the two men inside, deputies said.

One of the suspects, Terry Hayes, 34, brandished the BB gun at the men, and Bryan Derocher fired two shots, one of which struck Hayes in the torso.

Hayes died at the scene, deputies said.

Hidalgo said Hayes’ BB gun was indistinguishable from an actual gun.

The other burglary suspect, Charles Mouton, 42, of Thibodaux, was held at gunpoint by Bryan Derocher until deputies arrived.

Hayes had previously been arrested for armed robbery, theft, burglary, illegal possession of stolen goods and illegal carrying of a firearm, among other charges, deputies said.

Mouton had similar arrest history.
    Mouton has been booked for simple burglary, aggravated burglary, parole violation and second-degree murder.
    He is being held at the Terrebonne Parish jail in lieu of $250,000 bond.

A suspect can be charged with murder if, in the act of committing a burglary, a life is lost, said Carlos Lazarus, first assistant district attorney.
    Bonds for the murder and parole charges have yet to be set, deputies said.

Hidalgo said deputies have increased their patrols in the area and are working on the outstanding burglary cases, some of which have been tough to solve because of a lack of evidence.

Deputies are looking into whether Mouton and Hayes were behind some of the cases reported in the past month, he said.

Attempts to reach the homeowner Wednesday were unsuccessful.
    bilde

bilde

:)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom