SCOTUS denies Olofson petition

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Nothing for nothing, but he built ARs with a burst selection. Even if it jammed when using that selection, he built it with that selection available and knew
    that when placed in that position it would fire 3 rounds.

Do I believe that he is guilty from the above? Yes. If someone on here built that gun would you buy it without a stamp and shoot it in front of an ATF officer?

If it wouldn't have had that selector switch I would say it was a travesty of justice. But it did.

Last edited:

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    The gun was malfunctioning. What part of that do you not understand? Someone would have been hurt testing this thing. It was not a machine gun, if you actually believe it was a machine gun then you are just as moronic as the ATF

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    what part of the gun malfunctioned? did it malfunction when the gun was set to single round or 3 round burst?

http://gunowners.org/op0850.htm for the full article.

Pertinent quote:
    As our attorneys have looked into the records of the case, it is obvious that a miscarriage of justice has been perpetrated. The chief piece of evidence is an AR-15 made by Olympic Arms many years ago. Olafson had loaned the gun to a young man, who was his neighbor. At a range the gun fired two bursts of three rounds each and then jammed. Normal people would understand that a gun that jams is malfunctioning and seek to get it fixed.

For the Bureau (aka The Gang), a malfunctioning gun is an excellent opportunity to rack up an easy conviction on an illegal machine gun charge.

The gun was tested twice... both times with very different results. The first test came back with a report that the gun is a semi-automatic rifle. The next test came back with a report that it had fired a 20-round burst, and was thus a machine gun.

Firearms Enforcement Officer Max Kingrey got the gun to do something it had never done before. Suspicions of tampering by FEO Kingery, such as the addition of an auto sear or DIAS (considered a machine gun itself) could not be verified, as the defense was denied the opportunity to inspect the gun's inner workings. FEO Kingery's testing was done in secret, and never verified by anyone.

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    The gun was malfunctioning. What part of that do you not understand? Someone would have been hurt testing this thing. It was not a machine gun, if you actually believe it was a machine gun then you are just as moronic as the ATF

^^this is what I read on GOA webpage.^^ A neighbor was borrowing the OA gun when it malfunctioned. The atf did 2 stress test until it malfunctioned. Prayers for the family. The dude is a vet...horribly

Olofson Relief Fund

Last edited:

gbundersea

Just my 2¢
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jun 4, 2007
    Walker, LA
    In my opinion, the ATF is an out of control agency, which should be abolished. Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a chain of supermarkets, not a federal agency.

That said, according to the Olofson affidavit, which can be seen here:

- The rifle had a 3-position selector installed
    - Olofson specifically told the guy to whom he loaned the rifle not to use the 3rd position at the public range
    - ATF tested it 3 times in the 3rd position, and in all 3 tests it fired 20 rounds full-auto
    - Olofson had been illegally using someone else's FFL number

I am not defending the ATF in any way. However, from all unbiased accounts I've read about the Olofson case, he was not squeaky-clean either.

Last edited:

LSU2010

I <3 U.S. Constitution
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    wow if this is the case. why is it the big news peoples aren't talking about the real story? all I've seen is the malfunction story - even on cnn iirc. seems like a lot of folks would like to jump on this to clarify and make gun owners look like bg's.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom