Scrapple

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Granpa's Oldtime Recipes
    Scrapple:

1 hog's head
    4 to 5 quarts cold water
    4 teaspoons salt
    4 teaspoons powdered sage
    yellow corn meal (about 3 cups)

Separate one hog's head into halves. Remove eyes and brains. Scrape head and clean thoroughly. Place in large kettle and cover with 4-5 quarts of cold water. Simmer gently for 2 to 3 hours, or until meat falls from the bones. Skimm grease carefully from the surface; remove meat. chop fine, and turn liquor. Season with salt, pepper, and sage to taste. Sift in corn meal, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened to the consistency of mush. Cook slowly for 1 hour over low heat. When sufficiently cooked, pour into greased oblong pans and store in a cool place until ready to use. Cut in thin slices and fry until crisp and brown. Makes 6 pounds.
    NOW EVEN THIS ONE WOULD BE TOUGH FOR ME! LOL

Last edited:

ChickenWhistle

Thingamajig
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Now what if I want to substitute squirrel heads for the hog head? How many do you think it would take?

Tell you what, I'm just gonna try it with about 10 squirrel heads and let you know how it turns out.

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    Now what if I want to substitute squirrel heads for the hog head? How many do you think it would take?

Tell you what, I'm just gonna try it with about 10 squirrel heads and let you know how it turns out.

The main point using the head is to get the natural gelatin it produces from cooking it so the squirrel heads should work too. The recipe can also use regular meat, ground up, and gelatin that can be found at the store. Its called hog head cheese with out the head :D

Top Bottom