Self defence

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I know I a going to catch a lot of flak for this post , but here it goes. This question stems from a attorney I am working for and a video I saw on line. The attorney is well known back east, he made his living defending police officers in criminal cases. He also represented the police union in contract negotiations. The video was of a man who was allegedly sodomized by an officer with a police radio while another held him down for smoking pot. Apparently there were several witnesses to the assault. This is just one of many examples of police brutality. I understand that this is the exception and not the rule and that there are many good officers out there.

My question is what do you think would happen in the real world if you shot a police officer in self defense? If a person was attacked by two people one could legally use deadly force. What is the case if the assailant is law enforcement? In the real world what do you think would happen?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    340   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I think you should present that question to the Well Known Attorney you work for.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    In a court of law, this may happen. In a real life situation, you'll be lucky to see the sun rise again:
    “Citizens may resist unlawful arrest to the point of taking an arresting
    officer's life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This
    premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the
    case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S. 529. The Court stated: “Where the
    officer is killed in the course of the disorder which naturally
    accompanies an attempted arrest that is resisted, the law looks with
    very different eyes upon the transaction, when the officer had the right
    to make the arrest, from what it does if the officer had no right. What
    may be murder in the first case might be nothing more than manslaughter
    in the other, or the facts might show that no offense had been
    committed.”
    http://www.constitution.org/uslaw/defunlaw.txt

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I think you should present that question to the Well Known Attorney you work for.

LOL yeah, he was the one who said one could use deadly force against an officer. I asked him if out of all the cases if he had ever heard of someone shhoting an officer and walking. He said no.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    I assume you are referring to John Bad Elk v. U.S. in 1900, which overturned a decision from a lower court in State of South Dakota. Bad Elk, himself a policeman, shot and killed another policeman attempting to affect a arrest without a warrant for a misdemeanor not committed in his presence nor that of the other police in attendance.
    http://supreme.justia.com/us/177/529/case.html

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Unless you're in a situation reminiscent of the movie Unlawful Entry, which just ain't very likely, I have a stinkin' suspicion this just wouldn't fly.....

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Man, you better have a damn good reason for shooting a cop.

If you do, you'll be lucky to have anything left when the courts get through with you.

In your opinion, would one cop holding you down and another sodomizing you with a police radio be a damn good reason? My guess is if it was "Joe Blow" you would not even make it to the ground before he had three in his chest.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    Anyone trying to put anything in and/or around my ass hole is going to get a severe beating or killed. I don't care if they got a badge or not.

The end.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I think it depends on how the "offender" is viewed by the first-responding co-workers.

Hate him? You're GTG.
    Like him? You're dead.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    That's a big flaw in our system if defending one's self against a cop is such an open and shut case. If he isn't acting within his duty, then he's just another a**hole on the street, and the court *should* see it as such.
    Just like with hate crimes, this isn't equal protection under the law.

Last edited:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    In your opinion, would one cop holding you down and another sodomizing you with a police radio be a damn good reason? My guess is if it was "Joe Blow" you would not even make it to the ground before he had three in his chest.

It all depends. Is this one of the 1980's style radios that are the size of a small child, or the new super compact radios. This could be a very good deciding factor.........

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    The video was of a man who was allegedly sodomized by an officer with a police radio while another held him down for smoking pot.

WTF??! Ouchie!
    attachment.php

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bree
    Top Bottom