Selling water from Toledo Bend to Dallas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is a meeting tomorrow at 1:30 PM at the Cypress Bend conference center about a proposal to sell water from Toledo Bend to Dallas. The last proposal was for 600,000 acre/feet per year. If the generators at the dam run 24 hrs a day they will pass 600,000 acre/ft in 21 days. There is currently 4.1 million acre/ft of water in Toledo Bend.

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Funny how they schedule these "Public Meetings" at the most convenient times for the "Public"... I would love to be there but I wont' be heading up there until after lunch...

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I’m no self proclaimed expert but wasn’t it created with the primary use in mind being water supply. Hence the name. Toledo Bend “Reservoir”.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    According to every website on the web that describes its history they all say it’s primary uses was/is water storage-use and hydroelectricity. It literally was designed to sell water as one of its 2 primary uses. You can not like it but it’s literally there for that. And allot of tax dollars was spent to create it for those purposes. Fishing and water sports and waterfront property comes second to supplying water to municipalities and creating electricity.

BIGGREEN

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Water sale is for Austin, not Dallas. Too much lift required for that. As far as the other reference, Toledo Bend was proposed, bonds sold in the name of, contracted and built to produce hydro electric power ONLY. I have a copy of the original, as well as later contracts with the 10 municipal electric companies that were purchasers of power. The smaller companies have been bought out over the years and now CLECO is the primary purchaser of electricity. The main problem is the TWO SRA entities involved. The TX one is, of course, on the side of selling water to a TX town and the LA entity is in favor on anyone willing to give them a kick back as they have voted in the past... Bonds were sold and paid for and the waterfront property is taxed some of the highest rates in the state. These people have a LOT more invested in the lake than any of the cheap political hacks on the board. They set up public meetings at odd times for these people who won approximately 90% of the property that would be affected. Not to mention the lack of public notice.. If they decide to sell water instead of generating power it does not mean that the water will only go through the muni pipes. There is, by law, a requirement to provide positive flow on the Sabine river at the gulf inlet to prevent saltwater intrusion, so the water HAS to go out that way, which it is already flowing with generation. I didn't see that covered in the proposal

Last edited:

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The sale of the water would have to be approved by several boards and agencies including about 6 Police Juries bordering the Sabine River and the Governor. From what I hear, the Governor has already declined to sign off on the deal so it is dead for now. That doesn't mean it wouldn't come up again in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom