Shadow Systems MR920

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BladeZealot

Gotta love a Coonan!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Brandon MS
    Serious question, since I know zero about these mock-Glock guns.

I see the XR920 on Shadow's website, and it appears to be essentially a Glock 19X (or Glock 17) pattern pistol. I can pick one up on GunBroker for $889 ... that's almost twice the cost of the factory Glock.

What's the appeal of a company like Shadow Systems over a regular Glock? Is it just the aesthetics of the mill cuts in the slide and the barrel, or is there more to it?

And, are there any police agencies actually running these, or are these really just enthusiast guns?

Mike
    I haven't bought another glock in 9mm since the 920. That's saying alot for me lol. It is somewhat a 19 with what you would add/alter coming stock on it. It is out of the box smoother shooting (recoil, trigger) than any out of the box glock. I guess it depends on whether you run a glock stock or prefer to tweak it a bit. I find I really prefer the contouring...accelerator cuts...etc.

I run mine with the backstrap that gives it more of a 1911 angle.

There's no going back.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I haven't bought another glock in 9mm since the 920. That's saying alot for me lol. It is somewhat a 19 with what you would add/alter coming stock on it. It is out of the box smoother shooting (recoil, trigger) than any out of the box glock. I guess it depends on whether you run a glock stock or prefer to tweak it a bit. I find I really prefer the contouring...accelerator cuts...etc.

I run mine with the backstrap that gives it more of a 1911 angle.

There's no going back.
    Fair enough. Thanks for the overview.

Mike

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    E671EB50-54F4-484D-A57A-475CD0EF9B6E.jpeg
    I’ve been a Glock fan boy ever since I started shooting trust me you won’t regret the 920…
    It’s hard for a lot of people to admit but it’s all the changes glock I should’ve done years ago to catch up with the times…. And with the negative backstrap insert it shoots and points just like a 1911…

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I’ve been a Glock fan boy ever since I started shooting trust me you won’t regret the 920…
    It’s hard for a lot of people to admit but it’s all the changes glock I should’ve done years ago to catch up with the times…. And with the negative backstrap insert it shoots and points just like a 1911…
    I've become a huge fan of the 1911. And knowing that the Shadow Systems more closely emulates the 1911 grip angle makes one more appealing.

Mike

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I finally broke down and picked up an MR920. Found a screaming deal on one that didn't have the optic cut. And it has that nasty bronze colored barrel, which I don't like at all ... but the price was right.

IMG_8148.jpg

This afternoon I did a "blind taste test" between the MR920 and my bone stock Gen 5 Glock 19. To make things as even as possible, I put the backstrap on the MR920 that most closely emulates the Glock grip, and I wrapped the grips of both in a towel so I couldn't tell which was which by the feel of the grip texture.

Honestly, the triggers feel identical to me. The take-up, the break, the reset ... everything on the MR920 feels exactly like my Glock.

The slide-to-frame fit on the MR920 is noticeably looser than on my Glock. I can grip the slide of the MR920 and wiggle it up and down a very small amount. The slide on the Glock is rock solid in comparison; there's absolutely no play. I'm not sure which is better; I'd think that a tighter slide-to-frame fit would be better, but I don't know that this will have any measurable effect on anything.

The replaceable backstraps on the MR920 are wonderful. I can see right away that the one most closely emulating a 1911 is going to make this gun very appealing to me.

The look of the MR920 is fine, I guess. I don't like the bling-y bronze barrel, but I imagine a lot of people do and that's fine. The angled slide serrations don't really make a difference to me; my G19 also has forward serrations, so it's a wash there.

The magwell flare that comes with the MR920 is a nice touch. I probably won't run it on my gun as I'll probably be carrying this IWB, but it's nice to know that I could snap it on if I wanted to play.

So, in the end, I'm not sure if the MR920 was worth $620. I was $437 out-the-door for my Gen 5 G19 two years ago, so that's almost two Benjamins extra. More after I've run three or four hundred rounds through the MR920.

Mike

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom