Shaving razor question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So my son is shaving now regularly and has been using a double edge safety razor. I got him the Gillette one because I figured it wouldn’t last but he’s sold on it. Anybody else use one and can point me towards a little nicer one for him? I’m no help because I hate shaving and use clippers when I’m not growing a beard. Thanks in advance.

Pic for reference.
    7c0d6d186528ab9d573ee6d1109e19f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Gillette makes some pretty solid razors. When I used to have to shave daily in the military that’s all I used after trying just about every brand imaginable. Personally I like the fusion 5 blade or pro glide. Gillette blew some of the more expensive boutique brands out of the water in terms of lasting and being able to use daily without screwing my face up.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    At 39 years old I’m not quite a man yet… require clean shave at my job for use of av3000 fresh air mask and only have to shave 1- 2 times a week for clean shaven lol… so my baby face don’t help here :dogkeke:

So I use a fusion for about 2 months before I gotta change the blade…lol

Last edited:

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Been using Gillette Mach 3 for over 25 years. I have tried countless other types and always go back. Just a word of caution. You ain't shaved until you have used a single blade Bic disposable razor. They should come with gauze and a tourniquet.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Probably not the 'best' advice, but I'd recommend taking him by an "Art of Shaving" store and talk to an associate there about what's out there.

They'll likely try to sell you their things, which in my opinion are a bit overpriced, but he can see what he likes the feel of.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    Cruise the antique shops if he’s set on using a safety razor. The axiom is absolutely true: they don’t make stuff like they used to. Been using my grandfather’s late-40s safety razor the last 2 years and it’s been amazing. Old ones are built like tanks. Just order some quality blades in bulk off Amazon (any GOOD barber will tell you what’s a quality blade - bad blades equals they lose business) and change them often.

On rare occasion when I’m feeling lazy and wanna shave without doing the full treatment (towel, moisturizing cream, single razor, aftershave), I’ll hit it with a Mach 3 and a hot towel.

Caveat: I’m Italian/Sicilian so I’ve got the thick nappy face hair that destroys blades with extreme prejudice. I only get two shaves out of a blade and it’s junk. Three with the safety razors when I get low if I spend a moment stropping the blade, but only if I was lazy and waited too long to order more.

Tiollib

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Thibodaux
    Art of Shaving is great to get to look at what you like. But Art of Shaving razors are just rebranded Muhle Razors. They are good but you can get the Muhle for much cheaper.

For soaps I usually stick with Stirling Soaps. I do have some of the Noble Otter stuff too and it smells amazing. They sky is the limit with soaps. There are so many artisan soap makers now.

For blades I buy Astras in bulk from Amazon. But you can get blade sample packs from tryablade.com.

Also pick up a good brush. Can start off with a Synthetic from Stirling or another maker. Badger is the top tier. Boar hair brushes take a while to break in and are unpleasant during the break-in process.

jsg34

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    A good double edged safety razor is perfect. A Merkur perhaps. I use one and change the blade every three shaves. A box of 100 razors lasts about a year and costs as much as a pack of 6 Gillette razors. The biggest downfall to a safety razor is the few nicks you'll get when transitioning to it, but if he's already using a safety razor, you're gold.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I bought an adjustable Merkur and an assortment of blades years ago. I was surprised with the difference in the make of blade made. I settled on Shark stainless steel blades.
    For Christmas my wife gave a tube of Every Mans Jack Shaving Cream. It is the bomb. If you try it read the directions. You apply it to your warm dry face then wet the area you are shaving.

Last edited:

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I have fond memories of my Dad using the double edge "safety" razor but I also remember him using the single edge "injector" style razor and blades too. As for me at age 70 now, after 50+ years of shaving I fell in love two years ago with the Harry's razor system. Sharp and smooth, plus I'm getting over a month of use since I only shave ~3 times weekly these days. As always, YMMV...

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I usually have a beard, but shave the small amount of hair on neck and upper cheeks on weekdays to keep things professional.

As far as safety razors go, my favorite is the Merkur 34C. It's got heft and requires little pressure to cut with a good blade. ~$40

A good razor is nothing without a good blade and quality shave soap.

My favorite blade for the price is Astra Superior Platinum ~$9/100 ct

My favorite soap is Proraso Red. ~$10 It has a pleasant Sandalwood smell and comes in a cup. I swirl a badger hair brush in it 10 times and then build up lather on neck rather than use a separate mug like most recommend.

Brush- Badger hair seems to be the consensus. I have a cheap $10 badger brush that has been going strong for over 8 years now.

Don't forget a good aftershave. My favorite is Proraso Red aftershave, but it is somewhat expensive $14 for 3.4oz. I usually use the old school barbershop classic, Clubman Original. $7 for 12.5 oz bottle at Sally Beauty. If you've ever gotten a straight razor fade or shave at a barbershop, you know this smell. It's strong at first, but fades away quickly as an aftershave should.

I don't like safety razors for precision work around lips/nose so if I have to fully shave for work, I'll catch those areas with the single trimmer blade on a Harry's Razor.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    Rockwell Razors has a set with about 6 different length settings. You simply just change the plates or flip them over for the desired closeness. I use one or a Merkur. Both are quality razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    I use Van Der Hagen razor and blades made in Germany
    Like it a lot, trims up my beard nice and neat even around my mouth. Find that it last longer than the Mach blades I used for years.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Please excuse my hijacking on this thread.
    I have this beast that belonged to my mother's dad. He passed in 66 and I was onIy 10 years old.
    I had it sharpened so I could use it before I passed it down to another sibling. I like the concept of keeping the attachment alive.
    Now that this is behind me I would opt to grow a fugly beard if I had to use this daily!

Attachments

• IMG_1710.jpg
      IMG_1710.jpg
      599.4 KB · Views: 63
    • IMG_1709.jpg
      IMG_1709.jpg
      666.9 KB · Views: 60
    • IMG_1711.jpg
      IMG_1711.jpg
      619.2 KB · Views: 50
    Top Bottom