Shipping firearms

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragin Cajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2008
    St. Charles Parish
    Its up to the FFL. You can ship it straight to his FFL if they will accept it. Some wont. Some require your DL to accept it from a private citizen. You cannot ship handguns with the Post Office though.

Untrue. I ship all my guns through USPS. Ammo, I ship through FedEx.

The first gun I ever shipped for a customer was one of those IAC lever shotguns. The postmaster had never seen me before so he made me unwrap it...turns out he just wanted to drool on it! :rofl:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    What are the laws on shipping firearms with-in the state lines of Louisiana?

:)

IANAL, my advise is worth what you paid for it, etc etc.

In my eyes, since in-state does not require an FFL transfer and there are private transport companies that will ship, it should be okay. That said, if you declare, not even the private companies will ship to non-license holders, iirc.

G

goodgollymsmolli

I just shipped my Vaquero to Georgia. Boy, talk about expensive. Went first to UPS and was told $59.00 thought this is BS and went to Fedex. It has to go overnight, signature required. I added insurance for $500. The total to ship was $57 dollars and some change.

What, if anything, did I do wrong? How come it was so much? In the future I would much rather do FTF than these charges.

You didn't do anything wrong. Depending on the weight and packaging (if you use your own packaging or their packaging), an overnight shipment can easily cost upward of $50. I am a shipper and deal with UPS and Fed Ex on a daily basis. Used to be DHL but they shut down US operations at the end of January.

I would advise to ALWAYS insure your shipments. ALWAYS.

G

goodgollymsmolli

I brought a few pistols to Baton Rouge Packaging & Shipping and paid about $50 to ship. In the future, I think I'll just ship it FedEx Ground and don't tell them what's inside the box. It's not a law that it must ship overnight, it's just FedEx policy. There isn't much they can do if they catch you.

Untrue. If they find it's a firearm and being shipped on a service that doesn't coincide with their policy, they can upgrade the service and make you pay the difference, or they won't deliver the package.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Untrue. If they find it's a firearm and being shipped on a service that doesn't coincide with their policy, they can upgrade the service and make you pay the difference, or they won't deliver the package.

Can I partially disassemble the weapon and describe it as "firearm parts?" ........ and then insure it for the full value of the contents when shipping it via FedEx ?

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seen plenty simply described as "machine parts" and some not even described at all.Totally disassembled to boot....

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Can I partially disassemble the weapon and describe it as "firearm parts?" ........ and then insure it for the full value of the contents when shipping it via FedEx ?

I think this is grey area. I shipped my Wilson back to them this way, because they told me to. :mamoru:

I basically field stripped it and told them it was just parts as per Wilson's recommendation.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom