shipping priority mail

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nagor

nagor
    Jan 26, 2021
    New Orleans, LA
    I see lots of ads on this forum and others where a private party selling a gun
    offers shipping to the buyers FFL by priority mail.

I thought you could only ship through an FFL.
    How are these people going about shipping priority mail?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I see lots of ads on this forum and others where a private party selling a gun
    offers shipping to the buyers FFL by priority mail.

I thought you could only ship through an FFL.
    How are these people going about shipping priority mail?

An FFL can ship through the mail. Non FFL's can not.

DAVE_M

_________
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Firearms do not have to be shipped by an FFL. They can be shipped by an individual through FedEx or UPS. Some stores have different policies, so call ahead and find out if it's kosher with that particular store.

You are not supposed to ship a firearm by USPS policy. It's not a law. They will refuse it if you tell them it's a firearm. I have shipped tons of parts (non-firearms) through USPS.

Long guns CAN be shipped by mail, but each location has weird policies. I have seen the local hub refuse a shotgun that was in a Remington box.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

Last edited:

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’ve had good luck shipping firearms back to manufacturers and to FFL’s via the FedEx hub in BR. Nothing special to do, just communicate with receiving and be sure of your insured value.

hkump

Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    For individuals shipping handguns to an FFL, you can't use USPS. I'd recommend https://www.shipmygun.com. Price is very fair and you can just drop it off at a UPS shipping center. I've used it multiple times and cost has ranged from $20.00-45.00 for 2 day air depending on the value of your gun and insurance. Better than shipping overnight air and paying over $150.00+ dollars by yourself.

nagor

nagor
    Jan 26, 2021
    New Orleans, LA
    I'll look into it, Thanks

For individuals shipping handguns to an FFL, you can't use USPS. I'd recommend https://www.shipmygun.com. Price is very fair and you can just drop it off at a UPS shipping center. I've used it multiple times and cost has ranged from $20.00-45.00 for 2 day air depending on the value of your gun and insurance. Better than shipping overnight air and paying over $150.00+ dollars by yourself.

I'll look into it
    Thanks for the good info

iomg8

Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    Unless something has changed, I understood that you can ship a rifle and shotguns along as it is in state, but once it goes out of the state, it needs to go to a FFL

lesgeaux

Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    Unless something has changed, I understood that you can ship a rifle and shotguns along as it is in state, but once it goes out of the state, it needs to go to a FFL

I have not read the rules lately as I have not wanted to do this, but once I read that you may ship a long gun to yourself in another state via USPS, with the requirement that it is addressed to you, adult signature required, and the package may only be opened by you. Some would want to do this when hunting out of state, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RussD2
    Top Bottom