Shooting from a tree stand...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    The one bit of 'dress rehearsal' that I haven't been able to do is shooting from a stand. I just got a 2-man ladder yesterday and could really use some pointers on making the shot.

I'm shooting with a fixed-pin sight. My arrow speed is 266fps.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

brianb

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    When you choose which pin to use relative to the range to the target, use the horizontal distance to the target, base of the tree to the target not the actual distance from your elevated position to the target.

Use a 3D deer target so you can see the penatration of your arrow relative to the deer's vital organs. The 3D target will teach you where to aim on the deer's body from an elevated position.

bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Thanks.

I've done some 3d over multi terrain, but I just got my ladder stand and put it up at my site. I wasn't sure whether I needed to just shoot the actual horizontal distance, or factor in the Pythagorean theorem to get the 3rd side of the triangle. Sorry. I'm an enginerd and can't turn it off!

Dying to get out there, but can't til the weekend!

brianb

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    If you work the math, you'll see that the distance between the horizontal and diagonal is not that big of a deal (30 yards horizontal distance, 30 foot stand->> 31.6 yard diagonal). The problem is that if your point of aim is the typical aim point if you are shooting horizontally your arrow may enter the chest and exit without hitting both lungs. A lot of time this is interpreted as shooting low due to the elevation of the stand effecting the flight of the arrow, when it really is a result of the angle of the shot relative to the deer's body. That's why I was telling you about the 3D target and looking at the path of the arrow through the deer. The most important thing about shot placement when bow hunting is that you hit both lungs. Good luck hunting.

Also if you work out the vectors you'll see that the horizontal distance is how you should calculate your trajectory. The acceleration from gravity will nearly cancel the added distance of the diagonal shot. Neglecting resistance from the air it would completely cancel out.

Cowboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    Houston
    If you work the math, you'll see that the distance between the horizontal and diagonal is not that big of a deal (30 yards horizontal distance, 30 foot stand->> 31.6 yard diagonal). The problem is that if your point of aim is the typical aim point if you are shooting horizontally your arrow may enter the chest and exit without hitting both lungs. A lot of time this is interpreted as shooting low due to the elevation of the stand effecting the flight of the arrow, when it really is a result of the angle of the shot relative to the deer's body. That's why I was telling you about the 3D target and looking at the path of the arrow through the deer. The most important thing about shot placement when bow hunting is that you hit both lungs. Good luck hunting.

Also if you work out the vectors you'll see that the horizontal distance is how you should calculate your trajectory. The acceleration from gravity will nearly cancel the added distance of the diagonal shot. Neglecting resistance from the air it would completely cancel out.

I can't turn it off either. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greywolf15
    Top Bottom