shooting on public land

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolacoder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2020
    Metairie, LA
    I really don’t understand why you can’t go out to Kisatchie and shoot. Provided you’re being safe and all that. Other national forests allow that. You just need to be so many yards from a road and abide by a few other very reasonable guidelines. From what I understand, in Kisatchie you can’t even open carry. Why do we accept that?

19) Can I target-shoot on KNF?
    Generally, no, because a person cannot discharge a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows: 1) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or 2) across or on a National Forest road or body of water or in any manner or place whereby any person is exposed to injury or any property (such as trees, embankments, etc) is damaged or littered, or 3) into or within any cave. (36 CFR 261.10(d)) Shooting ranges are available at Woodworth (318-484-2212), Ft Polk (337-531-6591), Natchitoches (318-356-9457), Arcadia (318-255-7081), and Ruston (318-397-8949). See www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp for details.

from https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/kisatchie/home/?cid=fsbdev3_024671

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    I used to go with my dad to what was at the time the end of Bluebonnet and shoot down into the creek (Ward's?). Now it's the Mall of Louisiana and I think they wouldn't like it if I did that now.

mikerah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2022
    New Orleans
    Over here we have a range in De Soto National forest we have an un-manned designated range with benches and an awning and yard markers but it’s always filthy people just suck. It’s not super far to a Camp Shelby range. On a good day you can here saws and deuces running in the distance. I wish people would just not be $hitbags because I would hate to lose something so uniquely American.
    Before moving to NOLA I used to go there at least once per month. And yes, people like to trash it up. Went there for the first time in years in August and alot of cleanup has been done. Much nice than what I remember.

tallguy606

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Houma LA
    Shooting in the spillway west of Norco was prohibited after .22 bullets from plinkers went over the berm and landed near a school in Norco.

2aadvocate19

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2021
    Lake Charles, LA
    Reminder, you have to have a hunting/fishing license or generic wildlife stamp if they still do those to be in the Honey Island management area. They don't ask to see it at the range, but if Wildlife and Fisheries stops you and you don't have one, you can get your pee-pee spanked with some expensive cites. I don't know if they'd seize your firearms. I got stopped at the entrance going in once, was schooled on the rule, and turned around to go get a stamp at Wal-mart (used to be only a couple bucks, less than a fishing license), but you might not get leniency if stopped already within the property. Could depend on what kind of day the agent's having.
    if I had to guess, you probably need to get the wma permit that you need to have along with your hunting/fishing permit.

*disregard. I didn't realize I was responding to an old comment* should probably read dates 1st

Last edited:

nolacoder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2020
    Metairie, LA
    Shooting on land owned or managed by the Army Corps of Engineers is generally a no go.

If you look at the specific regulations listed below it covers all the usual exceptions: law enforcement officers, when traveling to and from a hunting location, at a designated shooting range, etc.

From the USCCA website:

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers* — The Corps builds and runs flood control and navigation dams. The Corps has jurisdiction over the dam site and usually all waters backed up by the dam. Per 36 CFR § 327.13, carry anywhere on Corps property is illegal unless written permission has been received from the District Commander. Firearms can be unloaded and secured in a vehicle while on Corps property.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom