Shooting ranges that allow young children

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I have twin boys that are about to turn 6 years old soon. I live in Jefferson Parish on the westbank and do not own my own land to shoot on. I’m looking for a gun range that will allow me to take my two boys with me and teach them to shoot. I already teach them basic firearm safety, how you should handle guns, what to do if you find a gun, what to do if your friend shows you a gun, and so on. The only thing I haven’t been able to teach/ show them is live fire.

Second question Is 6 years old too young? Personally I don’t think it is and I want them to see a gun fire as well as fire one themselves to see what they are capable of.

Any suggestions on a range close by that would allow me to bring them along?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I suggest that you make the drive to Honey Island. There is a section devoted to rimfire rifles and pistols.

Conventional wisdom would have you start them out with a single shot rifle, and gradually add more capacity. Then pistols.

They have to be able to wear hearing and eye protection the entire time the range is hot, so that determines the age, in my opinion.

SSaltz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I started shooting at 6 with smith and wesson combat masterpiece .38spl 4" I know have that gun and have taught plenty of people how to shoot with it. If you are teaching them indoors make sure you use plugs and muffs.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I suggest that you make the drive to Honey Island. There is a section devoted to rimfire rifles and pistols.

Conventional wisdom would have you start them out with a single shot rifle, and gradually add more capacity. Then pistols.

They have to be able to wear hearing and eye protection the entire time the range is hot, so that determines the age, in my opinion.
    .22lr is definitely the plan and loading one round at a time. They have their own electronic hearing protection already and like wearing it running around the house or yard so I don’t see that being an issue.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    I started shooting at 6 with smith and wesson combat masterpiece .38spl 4" I know have that gun and have taught plenty of people how to shoot with it. If you are teaching them indoors make sure you use plugs and muffs.
    Thanks? Indoors or outdoors hearing protection is a no brainer.

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    good luck. any range you go to, as soon as the RSO see's you are teaching your sons to shoot, they will want to be balls deep in it and everyone will have some input. best bet, would be to find some private land, somewhere or get the annual membership with MCTA and go out there while nobody else is there.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    My son was shooting 5-6 yrs old with .22lr.
    As stated, single round at a time.
    Kids enjoy reactive targets much more than holes in paper.
    MCTA has treated me very well but I don't know about an age limit on the low side.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I think every child is different. I think it’s up to each parent to decide what the right age is to start them shooting.

You know the boys better than any of us but also think about taking them separately for the 1st trip or 2.

Leafbloer

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2022
    Slidell
    I took my daughter when she was 5 MCTA membership is the best hands down I loath honey island. I would just stay away from pistols until they are properly taught how to handle. Alot can go wrong fast with a pistol very easy to flag someone or goofy **** happen I have seen it with grown ass people. Goodluck OP.

lesgeaux

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Oct 18, 2009
    Marrero, LA
    The majority of folks that go to the Honey Island Shooting Range have a positive range experience.
    The range only requires that young shooters are supervised by an adult in their party, to my understanding.

I think you will find it a positive experience for introducing your children to shooting. It’s about 45-55 minutes drive from westbank on a good day.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom