Shot my first reloads today.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Nothing exciting here :mamoru: I acquired some reloading equipment including a Lee hand press. I picked up a single stage but have nowhere to mount it. For my very first try I loaded 50 rounds of regular 115gr FMJ with 3.9gr of Titegroup, which was listed as a starting load in my 9mm book. All 50 ran great. I should have ran it back to back with some factory loads but I was pressed for time. Was easy as pie. Just set my scale to the appropriate weight, adjusted my powder measure to throw the correct amount, then checked it a few times against the scale for accuracy, then loaded up! Only other hurdle was getting the die set appropriately to set the bullet at the correct depth (confirmed with a caliper). I know 9MM is seemingly pointless to load for some but I honestly went into this wanting to learn something new. I also have some stuff to load .223 for my AR15 that came with the lot so I will try that next. Then .308 once I get some fired casings from my Scout.

:D

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    I am about in the same place as you. I hope to get some reloading gear this Xmas and want to start reloading. It really is about wanting to learn the skill. Good to hear that they worked nicely. I have watched so many You Tube videos on reloading I should be able to do it with my eyes closed. But I probably will not. Just to be safe. Good luck and let us know how your 223 loads go.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    Reloading 9 isn't pointless, especially if you buy in bulk.

Oh and please, keep your eyes open.

I know a fellow who is getting rid of a bunch of 9MM stuff. Some powder, a ton of cases, 1,000 rounds of lead, and some various Hornady stuff. Just need to get him to count it all up and give me a price some time. I picked up just a few things locally which amounts to no savings at all but I'm going to look into some good deals when I go to pick up some more supplies.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I just set my dillon 550 up but have no idea how to set a few things. (Case feeder, dies, powder measure) I've watched a few YouTube videos and will attempt my first 9mm reloads soon.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I started a few months back,its been very satisfying. Ive been loading 7 RM and 223 on a single stage. If I could suggest a few things that were passed on to me:
    *Read Reloading books/manuals, more than once. And more than one book.
    *Don't pull "recipes" off the net.
    *"close" isn't good enough, even a few thousands of an inch can make a difference between a good round, and trouble.

Best of luck, I've learned that it's easy to get started and load, but it's also easy to make mistakes and have problems. Stay focused.

Last edited:

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I am about in the same place as you. I hope to get some reloading gear this Xmas and want to start reloading. It really is about wanting to learn the skill. Good to hear that they worked nicely. I have watched so many You Tube videos on reloading I should be able to do it with my eyes closed. But I probably will not. Just to be safe. Good luck and let us know how your 223 loads go.

It's neat. The hand press makes it pretty time consuming, lol. I will find a place for my single stage at some point. I'm going to load the 223s some time this week to test them next Sunday.

I just set my dillon 550 up but have no idea how to set a few things. (Case feeder, dies, powder measure) I've watched a few YouTube videos and will attempt my first 9mm reloads soon.

Good luck!

I started a few months back,its been very satisfying. Ive been loading 7 RM and 223 on a single stage. If I could suggest a few things that were passed on to me:
    *Read loading books, more than once. And more than one book.
    *Don't pull "recipes" off the net.
    *"close" isn't good enough, even a few thousands of an inch can(in general, but not always, too long) make a difference between a good round, and trouble.

Best of luck, I'm learning that it's easy to get started and load, but it's also easy to make mistakes and have problems. Stay focused.

Good tips. I only have the one book to check against (one for 9mm and one for 223) but I'd like to pick up a bigger book as well. I checked the OAL on my 9mm's like 50 times until I got the die perfect, heh. I used the OAL out of the book and measured a few factory WWB rounds. Both had the same dimensions so I went with that.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Factory rounds of 9mm are all over the place on OAL if you ever take the time to measure.

Let me know if you ever need bullets, or you could just buy them from LA gun and reloading. I plan to stop by and load them up again this week, it has been a busy month.

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    This is full of win. :rockon:

Welcome to the world of reloading.

Thanks.

Factory rounds of 9mm are all over the place on OAL if you ever take the time to measure.

Yea, but I figure if all those rounds all this time fed, it was relatively safe source of measurement :lol:

Let me know if you ever need bullets, or you could just buy them from LA gun and reloading. I plan to stop by and load them up again this week, it has been a busy month.

I'm gonna have to get in touch with those guys at some point. I stopped by once before to be nosy. First I need to build a basic stand to setup on. The unused side of the kitchen table is alright for the hand press but to speed things up and making them more comfortable, I need to get the single stage secured somewhere.

I put together 50 rounds of .223 today and another 50 rounds of 9MM. Used the Barnes 69gr BTHP bullets that came with the lot and a starting load of Varget.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    I started reloading a few years ago. I don't reload for bulk ammo, just load mainly for my precision AR. I also load using some 68/69gr bullets and Varget. I use a Lee classic turret press, but I should be using a single stage which I think is more presice. Varget can be more difficult to get consistent drops, but I use a Lee Perfect powder measure and it works good. Good luck and happy reloading.

Bam Bam

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    I started reloading a few years ago. I don't reload for bulk ammo, just load mainly for my precision AR. I also load using some 68/69gr bullets and Varget. I use a Lee classic turret press, but I should be using a single stage which I think is more presice. Varget can be more difficult to get consistent drops, but I use a Lee Perfect powder measure and it works good. Good luck and happy reloading.

Bam Bam

I have a Lee measure too and noticed the Varget wasn't measuring quite as nicely as the Titegroup was, but the loads stayed pretty good on the scale. I have an RCBS trickler tucked away should it be necessary at some point. Once I shoot my .308 I'll probably get more precise. It's only a Ruger Scout so it's not exactly a comp gun but it won't be getting used much so making some nicer loads and taking time won't hurt.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Good to hear you've started reloading. You'll see that a hand press is the slowest way to reload, followed by a single stage, then turret, then progressive, then Auto-progressive like my Hornady AP and a dillon 650. That being said, you can't go wrong with a dillon 550 for bulk ammo. I've found the Hornady works fine and their service is great, but I've been a little dismayed at how often I've Needed their service and warranty parts.
    As for books of load data, I use a Lyman and a Hornady book. Each has their own benefits. The more information you have, the better.
    You talked about powder, every thrower likes certain powders and not others. I've found a good ball powder throws cleanly pretty much universally, (my lee auto disk, Hornady auto charge, and Hornady AP thrower), while some stick and extruded powders don't. (I know, common knowledge, but new guys don't know this stuff). For 9mm, I've mostly used WST and Autocomp. Both are good, IMO.
    Once you've found a nice load that your machine and your gun likes, chrono's well, and feels good to shoot, utilize your economies of scale and buy in bulk to save money. That's the reason we're reloading!

Also, my 9mm stuff will be up for sale as soon as I can get over there and find it all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom