Should there be waiting period for handguns?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    no, there shouldn't be.

BR New's has jumped on the Fear Mongering train..."Craigslist is Evil!"...and..."Guns are bad, more gun laws!"

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    The only just reason to deny a person of their rights is in response for a crime for which they have been duly convicted.

Who among us could not be construed by someone as being a suspected 'something?'

It is only when we defend human rights without compromise that we can hope to keep the wolves from eventually calling at our own doorstep.

There is no form of gun control whose main effect is not to simply hinder the law abiding citizenry.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Do you change the oil in your car? Why? Because you are trying to prevent a problem and prolong the life of your vehicle.

All men are created equal. Tell me what the fore fathers meant by that statement.

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    well...lets start with the one who started all this mess:

John Hinckley

it's *very* stupid to assume that criminals are smart....or that desperate non-criminals do not turn to criminals.

again, what's the "hinderance"?

alex

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jun 20, 2007
    Frisco, TX & Frequently in BR
    ...if someone was stalking your mother, would you want her to be defenseless for three days?

my mother is too weak and scared to properly handle a gun. If she didn't have a gun in the past 64 years of her life, who's to say someone will get one after waiting so long?

Any other examples of why it's a hinderance?

I waited several weeks for my US passport. I didn't mind asking permission for that.

I understand your reasons for being against it and I'm no person to write off an important erosion of rights.

I just think there are far more horrible acts occuring that would shadow a concern like this for decades.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The problem is the form and the ineffective background check. Why have you fill out the form if they are doing a background check? If you're mentally instable that should show in the background check. That should be part of your criminal record (assuming you were held for dangerous acts).
    Also, just because you can't buy from a store doesn't stop a criminal from opening the classifieds and buying a gun...

SimonJester308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    No waiting period. Not one damn inch do we give those who would disarm us. That is the intent, its not about safety, or the public good. Its about Civilian Disarmament. Cars kill more people per year than guns. Fast food and cigarettes are killing more people than guns. But hey you cant resist tyranny with a pack of smokes and a super sized fries now can you. There is no such thing as reasonable gun control. If a person does their time and have the right to vote given back to them, then they should be able to buy a gun if they want to.

P7M8

"IE" Chantilly Import
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Metro New Orleans Area
    Yes on the waiting period.

From the time you decide to purchase the firearm(s), fill out the 4473, process the payment and the dealer calls the 1-800 number till you walk out the door.

Should be no longer than 10 minutes. So a 10 minute waiting period should suffice. :D

Top Bottom