SHTF (Back pack) food.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grendal

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    I have a large ALICE pack I carry and I am rotating food. It will be in my truck for SHTF, hunting, fishing, and any where where I take an extended drive.

I keep sardines, canned chicken, canned tuna, mixed unsalted nuts, pork and beans, and spam in the pack. I also keep an MRE or two in it. I am probably going to put some peanut butter in there too.

I think sardines in olive oil is a great source of protien, fat, and vitamins. Put them on wheat crackers and they taste great.

What do you think is a good nutritious SHTF food?

Last edited:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Pop tarts, cliff bars, pasta (w/ canned chicken!), summer sausage, pork n beans (again, add some meat), crackers, GORP. Potato chips make good fire starters btw.

Keep the sardines for catfish bait (yuck...).

cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    I keep enough MRE's in my grab and go SHTF bag for atleast 3 days and supplies to hunt or trap more food afterwards if need be. There are also a few high calorie nutrition bars in there..I've heard they dont taste so good but in that situation calories and energy are really all I'm worried about short term, and those things are packed with enough nutrition to eat as a meal. I don't remember the brand off the top of my head but I think most of my stuff came from cheaperthandirt.com The main thing for me is to keep it stocked with all of the essentials while still being lite enough to walk long distances if needed. If I had just minutes to get outta dodge I'd feel comfortable grabbing that along with my AR and hittin the road.

Last edited:

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    If you have a wife and kids you're gonna have to have a way to carry what all you're gonna need. A vehicle.

If it's just you pack only what you can carry on your back. Peanut butter, individual spam packs, rock hard candies (for energy),
    small pop open cans of tuna, etc.

You'll actually have to learn to survive on the sly, being a sneaky basta-d.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    i want something i can carry. Ive been getting ideas on the contents from everyone on differnet threads, but i havent seen much on the actual bag itself. i was hoping for anice backpack with lots of compartments and add on options.

what about beef jerky Grendal?

cottonmouth

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Monroe, LA
    i want something i can carry. Ive been getting ideas on the contents from everyone on differnet threads, but i havent seen much on the actual bag itself. i was hoping for anice backpack with lots of compartments and add on options.

what about beef jerky Grendal?

I used a backpack with lots of molle straps on the outside to attatch gear that I want to access quickly such as a large knife, canteen, etc.. My backpack ended up being a lot smaller than I would have liked but still held everything I wanted to put in my BOB. It also has a compartment for a camel-back water bladder. I'm not at home at the moment and I dont remember the brand but either way, I would go with a good sized backpack with molle gear attachment straps. I like being able to have my Gerber hunting knife right there on my left shoulder strap for quick access. Look at cheaperthandirt.com if you haven't already. Lots of backpacks and good prices on stuff to put in it. I might post pictures of mine once I'm home.

Gbav1

Concealed Carrier
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Marrero,La.
    I bought some shreaded beff jerky in a chewin tabacco can at BassPro, by the checkout. $1.09 a can,taste good,light,and best buy date of over a year. They take up no space.

Tate

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    I keep emergency ration bars from Datrex. They aren't the best tasting, but they're about as compact as you can get for the calories. They also have a longer shelf life than other options.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom