Slight mosin problem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Leave it to me to create a problem with a Mosin lol...

but yea, I was breaking my Mosin down after a full day of fun, and came into a problem upon reassembly. I've done this 2-3 times before and had no problems. When I put it all back together and went to test the bolt, I noticed the trigger was limp. Apparently a pin from the trigger fell out, so I figured no big deal. I held the trigger back so the bolt could be removed and fix the problem.... and denied. Can't get the bolt out to get to the screw that holds the receiver in place. Any suggestions on what to do?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    OK first of all, put down the drill! It's going to be OK :)

What happened was when you reassembled the gun, the trigger axis pin dropped out. This is pretty common, and you can probably find it laying around the floor of wherever you cleaned the rifle. The problem is the trigger axis pin is what allows your trigger-finger to bring eight pounds of pressure on the trigger spring and retract the bolt release lugs. Without being able to retract the lugs you can't get the bolt out of the receiver, and unless you can get the bolt out of the receiver you can't get to the action screw that will allow you to remove the receiver and replace the pin.

WHEW!

Now I disassembled one of my Mosin-Nagants, removed the trigger axis pin and reassembled it to replicate your problem. What I found is that if you pull down on the trigger and push it forward it will lower the bolt release lugs and allow you to remove the bolt. The rest is just dis-assembly, replacing the pin (A bright nail cut to the right length should suffice.), then reassembly.

Let me know if this works. I may have other suggestions.

LouisianaRebel

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    yonder

What happened was when you reassembled the gun, the trigger axis pin dropped out. This is pretty common, and you can probably find it laying around the floor of wherever you cleaned the rifle. The problem is the trigger axis pin is what allows your trigger-finger to bring eight pounds of pressure on the trigger spring and retract the bolt release lugs. Without being able to retract the lugs you can't get the bolt out of the receiver, and unless you can get the bolt out of the receiver you can't get to the action screw that will allow you to remove the receiver and replace the pin.

WHEW!

Now I disassembled one of my Mosin-Nagants, removed the trigger axis pin and reassembled it to replicate your problem. What I found is that if you pull down on the trigger and push it forward it will lower the bolt release lugs and allow you to remove the bolt. The rest is just dis-assembly, replacing the pin (A bright nail cut to the right length should suffice.), then reassembly.

I laughed thinking about both of yalls guns stuck without the pins. :rofl: Sorry but that would be my luck. :D

csbutton

Unreconstructed
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Now I disassembled one of my Mosin-Nagants, removed the trigger axis pin and reassembled it to replicate your problem....."

Somehow it doesn't surprise me to see that you went out of your way to help a fellow forum member...it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife this weekend. Thanks for the help, patience, and for going the extra mile!!

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Now I disassembled one of my Mosin-Nagants, removed the trigger axis pin and reassembled it to replicate your problem....."

Somehow it doesn't surprise me to see that you went out of your way to help a fellow forum member...it was a pleasure meeting you and your wife this weekend. Thanks for the help, patience, and for going the extra mile!!

Thanks for the compliment. This was a fun weekend. I really felt his pain, and I was worried that since no one had responded in two days he just might feel the urge to "get medieval on it" as they say.

MCT601, how'd it go?

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg

WHEW!

Thanks a whooooole lot for putting that amount of effort into it. I actually have the pin, I realized what had happened as soon as I went to remove the bolt. I have too much on my plate tonight (damn college) to do this, but I will do it after class. Once again, I really appreciate it.

edit: the essay can wait a few minutes. I tried working the trigger every which way, and could not manage to get the lugs to lower. It just isn't budging.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Are you able to pull the trigger down? The reason for pulling it down is to get it to clear the trigger guard frame which prevents it from moving forward or backward far enough to depress the spring. If the receiver were out of the stock, the trigger could be moved back until it compressed the spring, but with the guard in the way it's movement is restricted.

By the way, though college seems hard right now, one day you will remember these days as some of the best times of your life. I know it sounds weird, but most people seem to think it's true. The poorest young man is wealthier by far than the richest old man.

Last edited:

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    Unless I'm being phenomenally stupid here (which would not be a first), no I don't find it possible to pull the trigger down.

mct601

Airborne IV Peddler
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Hattiesburg
    the trigger has an endless amount of play in it going the usual forward and back, but as far as vertically pulling it away from the receiver, no it won't move in the least bit.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom