Slow Rust Bluing... a journey... First blue done!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Lol. I hope it's not too pretentious that I'm posting this in the gunsmithing section; I am by no means qualified to use that title, but it is the most relevant forum section.

So I happened across a well-priced Winchester 94 (1978 production) with almost 0 finish left on it. If you've known me for any length of time, you should know I'm a restless soul. I must always be doing something and amassing project after project on my plate until I have no hope of free time.

Anyways, I've decided on the slow rust bluing process for the Winchester 94 refinish. However, I know enough to know that I don't know anything and I definitely don't want my first attempt to be on a rifle that deserves a quality refinish job.

So when Mrfelixxx posted that he had some junk gun parts that had been sitting outside for 15 years, I thought I would be able to find some excellent candidates for some practice. And I was right...

The Two revolvers

The 30-30 on the bottom (Sears Roebuck)

Look what was hiding under the grime on the stock:

Other than the butt plate, this is absolutely salvageable.

Stephens 12ga SxS

Cracked stock and seized internals.

I didn't actually get another picture of the revolvers before I start disassembling. Yes, Ketchup does work on the brass when you don't have brass-o. Not quite as well, but when you're ballin' on a budget...

The screws in the revolvers are pretty seized up. Got all but 3 out among the two. Trying to use PB blaster until they let go; definitely don't want to strip the screws. Ordered a better screwdriver set than what I've got presently.

And no project is complete without an assistant:

Finals next week and then I'll have a few weeks to really knock out all the projects I've stacked up. Wish me luck! I'll post progress pics throughout the process.

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    What do you guys recommend I do for removing the existing finish? I was planning on sandpaper/steel wool, but am aware of blu and rust removal solutions.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I've thought of that, I just don't have one. I'm sure I could gain access to one, but it's on the list of things for the garage.

carlosd321

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Walker
    I've thought of that, I just don't have one. I'm sure I could gain access to one, but it's on the list of things for the garage.

I have a set up at my place. I intend on refunishing some items at some point just keep getting put aside for other projects and homework. Youre welcome to stop by and try it out but Im in walker

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I have a set up at my place. I intend on refunishing some items at some point just keep getting put aside for other projects and homework. Youre welcome to stop by and try it out but Im in walker

Thank you for the offer. I might have to take you up on it.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Were those long guns Katrina guns?
    They sat outside for 15ish years. I'm sure they were also outside for Katrina, though. If anything, Katrina just gave them a little wash compared to the damage done over 15 years outside.

Dish washer?
    My wife tolerates my over-zealousness to some degree... putting horribly rusted gun parts in her dishwasher might end that.

Good luck on your finals!
    Ha! I'll need it. Ship Vibrations has been a bear.

Vinegar will remove some finishes. Won't do anything for the rusting, though.

Yeah, I read that. I'm not sure how long will be long enough, though. Also I don't want to etch the metal just to have to smooth it back out by hand. I need to make some barrel plugs as well.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Thought about trying good old Naval Jelly?

I just boiled the smaller parts in water and degreaser to prep them for Birchwood Casey's rust and blu remover. Finals are this week so I may not get to it. I also prepped the stock of the Sears Roebuck and my Winchester 94. Going to use the Birchwood Casey stock refinish kit for the Sears Roebuck first and see how I like the finish before I do the 94.

ETA:

Winchester 94 wood before

Wood prep photos:

Boiling water with Krud Kutter poured on smaller parts in tub to soak.

Wood was wet with the hot water and sprayed with krud kutter repeatedly on both sides.

Krud Kutter and hot water worked really well at pulling the old finish up. Some stubborn parts on the 94 stock.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bruce robison
    Top Bottom