smith wesson must be bad

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oldman11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2018
    Louisiana
    i,m about to give up hope for this forum. Nobody ever talks about smith wesson revolvers. All the talk is about those old plastic throw pistols.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    The S&W M&P series is a nice series of pistols. Unfortunately for you though they are all polymer framed or “plastic” as you called it with the exception of the newly released aluminum frame version.

UncleBiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Chalmette
    Okay, I’ll start. What do y’all think is the maximum acceptable cylinder gap in a centerfire revolver?
    i heard .1 inches. but i just bought a new 686 plus and its gap is 0 inches. Had to send it back. The cyclinder would bind once the gun heated up from shooting.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    i heard .1 inches. but i just bought a new 686 plus and its gap is 0 inches. Had to send it back. The cyclinder would bind once the gun heated up from shooting.
    A tenth of an inch is way too large. A suitable cyl - barrel gap is .007 to .014 of an inch, max. Smith & Wesson is not what they used to be, even the Performance Center products.

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I apologize
    i,m about to give up hope for this forum. Nobody ever talks about smith wesson revolvers. All the talk is about those old plastic throw pistols.
    if the forum is not for you. Unfortunately it can't be for everyone. But I looked at your posts on here and I don't see any indication you had any real interest in talking about Smith & Wesson. It looks like you started five threads, other than this one, on this forum. One was to introduce yourself, three were about ammunition, one was about getting old. One of the two other replies was about ammunition and the other was about getting old. In only one of your posts, before this one, did you mention anything about S&W. And in that post you mentioned you had a couple of S&W pistols.

We're pretty open about the threads that are started on this forum. If there was some aspect of S&W revolvers you are interested in discussing, you are welcome to start a thread about it.

UncleBiff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Chalmette
    A tenth of an inch is way too large. A suitable cyl - barrel gap is .007 to .015". Smith & Wesson is not what they used to be, even the Performance Center products.
    Yeah. I think i meant to write .01 inches. Now i think i am at .006 to .008. The paperwork that came back with the revolver said "repaired yoke". I had terrible endshake before.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Okay, I’ll start. What do y’all think is the maximum acceptable cylinder gap in a centerfire revolver?
    006 is Factory Spec for Dan Wesson Revolvers. I use the same shim when setting back a barrel in a S&W Revolver, not knowing their spec. It works.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Smith and Wesson Revolvers are boring.
    They always go bang, and generally hit where pointed.
    They rarely ever break, unless Bubba Duplex is loading the cylinder.
    They look good and wear well.
    You can't stipple one.
    No place to hang do dads and what knot.
    No reason to Cerakote it.
    Boring I tell you.

Unless you understand how to square all of the pins, and polish all of the bearing surfaces.
    Then they're interesting things that are almost as good as an old Colt, but not.

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    60 % of my commercial handguns are S&W revolvers, and the other 40% are not plastic. Yeah, I'm an old curmudgeon, too. My 93-year-old mother just gave me back the 5-inch nickel C-prefix 1948 .38M&P I gave her 30 years ago after Dad passed, and I got his shotguns and rifles. I used to have her shoot a few rounds every year or so just to make sure she still could handle it and hit the target. This year, she said her arthritis wouldn't let her grip it anymore and since she moved in with her granddaughter, she said she didn't need it.

Last edited:

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    I love my 442. Wish more people made quality holsters for it!
    Incognito Concealment makes an amazing holster for the 442/642. Trust me, I’ve tried them all… And this one (to me) is by far the best. I believe it’s called the T3. They also have top notch customer service and quick shipping. I highly recommend giving them a try.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Incognito Concealment makes an amazing holster for the 442/642. Trust me, I’ve tried them all… And this one (to me) is by far the best. I believe it’s called the T3. They also have top notch customer service and quick shipping. I highly recommend giving them a try.

Agreed. These are nice for a belt holster if you can find one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    May give them a try. I’ve been using the philster “city special” for many years and it’s perfect, unfortunately the new style city special he offers just doesn’t work for me. I have another jframe holster that I bought used from a BS member that’s also amazing it was made by “Geaux hard holsters” however my understanding is he no longer makes holsters.

Attachments

• E3C2883A-5F84-4469-9C84-63404D334D3D.jpeg
      E3C2883A-5F84-4469-9C84-63404D334D3D.jpeg
      512.1 KB · Views: 75
    Top Bottom