So the brake tag guy told my wife her windows are illegal

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    We bought a 2013 Edge in October from a reputable dealer in Kenner, but now that the brake tag needs to be renewed, the inspector at a brake tag place told my wife the windows are too dark. If it's true that they're too dark, I find it hard to believe that the car could have been sold that way or that it could have passed inspection for he previous owner.

Is there anyone in the New Orleans area who can read these windows for me and tell me for sure?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Previous owner could have had it tinted after the inspection tag was issued or may have had a doctors excuse. Take it to another inspection station and ask him to see the reading on the meter when he checks it.

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    We bought a 2013 Edge in October from a reputable dealer in Kenner, but now that the brake tag needs to be renewed, the inspector at a brake tag place told my wife the windows are too dark. If it's true that they're too dark, I find it hard to believe that the car could have been sold that way or that it could have passed inspection for he previous owner.

Is there anyone in the New Orleans area who can read these windows for me and tell me for sure?

If indeed they are too dark they did not come from the factory like that. If that is the case a previous owner added tint to the windows. The brake tag facility should have put a light meter on the window to test the tint. You may be able to remove the tint from the windows yourself using a razor blade and some simple green. BE CARFUL if you do. FYI only the front passenger and driver side windows should be affected by the law.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    If they are tinted they are likely "too dark" per the states tinting laws. Its rarely a sticking point getting a new brake tag. But every now and then the state comes down on these little shops who kind of overlook the law. I had a truck that I couldnt get inspected after 6 different visits to 6 different shops so I finially sucked it up and scraped it off. Sucks but when the state cracks down on these guys they come down hard.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Any state trooper should be able to check it. They carry meters to test.

I'd rather not involve "the man" at the moment, but might ask them to take the dealer to task for selling it to me illegally, if I have to.

Thanks to the rest for replies; If no one here has a meter or knows a trustworthy place, I'll take it to a different brake tag guy and see what he says. My wife said the guy she went to told her it measured 3.1 but needed to be 4. I don't understand that scale unless 4 relates to the 40% transmission level listed in the law.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    As far as I know, it's not illegal to sell a vehicle with windows tinted too dark. If you know something I don't know, please educate me.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Some places will put a sticker on just about anything. You just seem to have found one that goes by state law. You should be up here in the Baton Rouge area with the damn emission checks

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    As far as I know, it's not illegal to sell a vehicle with windows tinted too dark. If you know something I don't know, please educate me.

I know it's a bit of a stretch, but reading RS 32:361.1 I would argue that the dealer fit the definition of someone who sold a window screening device because it was already part of the car that they sold. Might not actually fly in court, but the dealer wouldn't want the negative publicity.

Some places will put a sticker on just about anything. You just seem to have found one that goes by state law. You should be up here in the Baton Rouge area with the damn emission checks

I used to, brother, I used to.

Brawny

lol
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    Anderson, SC
    I'm from MS and trust me I've been to some dubious inspection sticker places (that's what we call them) but I'll admit that in New Orleans the places, even the skeezy ones, went pretty much by the book.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I know it's a bit of a stretch, but reading RS 32:361.1 I would argue that the dealer fit the definition of someone who sold a window screening device because it was already part of the car that they sold. Might not actually fly in court, but the dealer wouldn't want the negative publicity.

I used to, brother, I used to.

Best advice gripe about it and get it out of your system then grab a razor blade and make it legal. Or... find someone who will tag it, but technically you are breaking the law by driving with illegal tint. You may never have a problem but then again you never know.

Robbie

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   1
    Nov 8, 2011
    Elmwood, LA 70123
    Roll down windows, pull fuse - claim they don't currently work?
    Sorry had to!

But are you talking about Orleans Parish of Jefferson Parish?

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Wife just got home, so I looked at the window. It's marked FoMoCo Carlite. That's OEM window from Ford. It's marked 70%transmission. The dealer I bought it from was also the original dealer for the first owner (I found all of his paperwork still in the car).

- - - Updated - - -

Roll down windows, pull fuse - claim they don't currently work?
    Sorry had to!

But are you talking about Orleans Parish of Jefferson Parish?

Bought it in Jefferson; live in Orleans.

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    I might be wrong, but I think the dealers put window tint on themselves or contract it out. Even if not, that sticker doesn't mean it came that way.

I know pictures don't translate well, but my front windows are 40%, which honestly looks like almost nothing, and rears are 20%. If they're obviously darker than the fronts, they're illegal.

e6f16baf8290e3851cbdd09dad844d07.jpg

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    If you think they are responsible, take it back where you bought it and have them test it. Most, if not all, new car dealers are certified inspection stations. They have to be to install the original sticker. Then have them remove the illegal tint and install the correct tint. But if you live in Orleans, don't you have to have and Orleans sticker?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom