Solid simple home defense

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Ran across this very short and sweet video this morning that spells it out very simply. Highest success with lowest risk. Only thing I’d add is, if hitting an innocent is not a concern for whatever reason, don’t be afraid to take follow up shots through the wall if you believe or know there’s another bad guy on the other side, i.e., someone obviously pausing at a doorway and you can see a foot or some part of them sticking out past the wall. I do believe that there are plenty of times I may grab a handgun instead of or before I grab a shotty, but it’s a given that a shotgun will generally stop the threat on the first hit. Camping with the shotgun and maintaining the element of surprise is our primary game plan. I am under no obligation to warn an intruder or give up my edge in my own home.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    A shotgun is a great option and really hard to beat for home defense.

I often switch what I leave next to my bed at night . When I’m being lazy it’s my edc, a Glock 17 with 124gr federal HST. Sometimes I’ll pull out the 18.5” mossy with Federal flight control 00 buck reduced recoil or I’ll go with a 16” AR with some 77gr or 55gr M193. I rotate between all them depending on which one I feel like using.

Regardless where you live it’s hard to beat an alarm system and cameras. I know as soon as someone enters my property and if they decide to break into my house the whole street will hear the ear piercing alarm going off. Not many people are going to choose to stay after hearing the alarm going off. Also another advantage to an alarm is if Gid forbid you’re in a situation where you don’t even have time to call the police. The alarm company will do that for you as soon as the alarm goes off. I’ve set my alarm off twice by mistake. Once in the middle of the day and once late in the evening well past most working folks bed time. Both times a JPSO officer was at my house in under 5 minutes.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Ran across this very short and sweet video this morning that spells it out very simply. Highest success with lowest risk. Only thing I’d add is, if hitting an innocent is not a concern for whatever reason, don’t be afraid to take follow up shots through the wall if you believe or know there’s another bad guy on the other side, i.e., someone obviously pausing at a doorway and you can see a foot or some part of them sticking out past the wall. I do believe that there are plenty of times I may grab a handgun instead of or before I grab a shotty, but it’s a given that a shotgun will generally stop the threat on the first hit. Camping with the shotgun and maintaining the element of surprise is our primary game plan. I am under no obligation to warn an intruder or give up my edge in my own home.

I would not advocate to anyone for shooting through a wall. That sounds like made for Hollywood. You need to have a positive ID on anyone you intend to shoot. That's a basic rule for handling firearms.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    My only fear with a shotgun is accidentally clipping the fur missiles. If there is anyone in my house that shouldn't be, the dogs will be on them. A nice .45 or .45LC is less likely to have that issue.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    My only fear with a shotgun is accidentally clipping the fur missiles. If there is anyone in my house that shouldn't be, the dogs will be on them. A nice .45 or .45LC is less likely to have that issue.
    What is a fur missle? In a home where distances are short buckshot will pattern like a slug.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    For those of you who use long-guns for home defense, where do you keep the firearm while sleeping?

A pistol easily fits in a nightstand safe or just simply on top of it. But a rifle or shotgun? I'm not willing to leave one out 24/7, or bring it to/from my safe nightly before bed, and I haven't discovered a system that I like to just keep it in my bedroom.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    My CC is on the bed stand. My hope is that it allows me to get to the rifles, but my suspicion is that he noise from a 9mm inside of the bedroom will be enough to run off most. And I can't imagine that almost anyone will get past the dogs anyway. And, of course all of the doors are reinforced and locked before they could get to the dogs, so in reality its probably just there to make me comfortable.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    166   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    For those of you who use long-guns for home defense, where do you keep the firearm while sleeping?

A pistol easily fits in a nightstand safe or just simply on top of it. But a rifle or shotgun? I'm not willing to leave one out 24/7, or bring it to/from my safe nightly before bed, and I haven't discovered a system that I like to just keep it in my bedroom.
    There are lots of hide out solutions out there for the prepared mind. Some people even DIY. I think it may be easier for folks who are use to handling long guns. It’s really not a big deal once you commit yourself. The pistol on the nightstand or within easy immediate reach might be what I grab first if I fear I won’t be able to get my feet on the floor before the bad guy is already coming through my bedroom door. I’ll take a pistol if I can’t get to a boom stick, but I prefer the shotgun. Maybe long guns just aren’t for you in the home defense scenario.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    I am not even going down the rabbit hole of this except to offer two things.

1. Don't be like the guy in the video (This should be my tag line at this point, I am SO tired of YouTube being validated as an actual form of training or knowledge base)...and hide in the center of the room facing the door. Pick a corner, better pick a corner with a chest of drawers as concealment in front of you. I have trained untold amount of persons in house and even after enough burpees to make them vomit they still wont properly check corners, and this is people actively training house..bad guys certainly wont. Don't make the ridiculous assumption that because you are shooting a 12G that you will hit your target, or disable it. Missing happens under extreme stress. And while you are trying to figure out how to use a manual loading firearm (jab intended) the bag guy is moving and shooting.

2. Don't fight in the light. After you arm yourself, turn the lights off in the room you are in, and if possible on in the hallway. Fight from dark to light. People watch YouTube (again) and don't envision what it will be like in their home, or take the time to rehearse the scenario.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    That is solid advice from a pro just above. Yeah it was a week ago @Magdump advocated here in the first post "don't be afraid to shoot thru the walls with your 12 gauge". LOL

The simple fact is a long gun for every day home defense presents challenges. You don't EDC a long gun, its not your everyday weapon that you can put on the nightstand next to your bed, or in its drawer while you sleep. Or that you have extensively trained and prepared with. And as Austin mentioned, I'm not taking it out of my safe on a day to day basis. And not leaving it out 24/7 while I'm away, especially if you have children living in the household. I have several AR-15s in my safe, right in my BR. But none of those are my everyday home defense weapon of choice. For the reasons cited above. In that safe I have a SBR 556 and a full mag next to it, ready to roll if needed. Three feet from my bed.

You should be well trained and proficient with your favorite pistol, and today's ammo with reliable expansion. Its not hard to pick a solid defensive 9mm Luger round with expansion to .45" in flesh. Or pick a 40 or 45 cal pistol if you want more. Train and work on reliable tactics and accuracy with your pistol (and ammo) of choice.

Last edited:

lowell66dart

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    St James Parish

I have a youth 20 gauge pump shotgun mounted above the door on the inside of my bedroom closet. Open door, reach up.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That is solid advice from a pro just above. Yeah it was a week ago @Magdump advocated here in the first post "don't be afraid to shoot thru the walls with your 12 gauge". LOL

The simple fact is a long gun for every day home defense presents challenges. You don't EDC a long gun, its not your everyday weapon that you can put on the nightstand next to your bed, or in its drawer while you sleep. Or that you have extensively trained and prepared with. And as Austin mentioned, I'm not taking it out of my safe on a day to day basis. And not leaving it out 24/7 while I'm away, especially if you have children living in the household. I have several AR-15s in my safe, right in my BR. But none of those are my everyday home defense weapon of choice. For the reasons cited above. In that safe I have a SBR 556 and a full mag next to it, ready to roll if needed. Three feet from my bed.

You should be well trained and proficient with your favorite pistol, and today's ammo with reliable expansion. Its not hard to pick a solid defensive 9mm Luger round with expansion to .45" in flesh. Or pick a 40 or 45 cal pistol if you want more. Train and work on reliable tactics and accuracy with your pistol (and ammo) of choice.
    Ugh, I would LOVE to have space in my master bedroom for a safe. Definitely something for my next house.

I have a youth 20 gauge pump shotgun mounted above the door on the inside of my bedroom closet. Open door, reach up.
    Interesting. Not a bad idea in practice, but I refuse to leave rifles or shotguns outside of a safe when I'm not at home.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Ugh, I would LOVE to have space in my master bedroom for a safe. Definitely something for my next house.
    That wasn't the plan when I purchased this house in 2015. The safe was to go in a spare BR, but we couldn't get it thru the door frame within the confines of the hall, a 90* turn into the BR. So it went into my MBR, a straight shot off the hall way. It weighs 750 lbs empty and we were using a vending machine hand truck rated for 1000 lbs. Just could not make the turn, so it sits 30" (just measured it) from my bedside. Its sorta tight, but the door will fully open.

I used to hang a 12 gauge shotgun like lowell66 mentioned about 20 years ago. I forgot about that, a descent solution that no one can readily see and its close when you need it. But I wouldn't hang anything really expensive in case my house got hit by burglars while I am away. I like my 40 under my pillow solution better. It is right there.

Austin, are you a father yet? Has it happened?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    That wasn't the plan when I purchased this house in 2015. The safe was to go in a spare BR, but we couldn't get it thru the door frame within the confines of the hall, a 90* turn into the BR. So it went into my MBR, a straight shot off the hall way. It weighs 750 lbs empty and we were using a vending machine hand truck rated for 1000 lbs. Just could not make the turn, so it sits 30" (just measured it) from my bedside. Its sorta tight, but the door will fully open.

I used to hang a 12 gauge shotgun like lowell66 mentioned about 20 years ago. I forgot about that, a descent solution that no one can readily see and its close when you need it. But I wouldn't hang anything really expensive in case my house got hit by burglars while I am away. I like my 40 under my pillow solution better. It is right there.

Austin, are you a father yet? Has it happened?
    My wife would slaughter me if I suggested putting an ugly safe somewhere that people could *gasp* see.

Yessir, I have a beautiful little girl who was born earlier this year! She's the cutest little thing that has ever lived. We just took her on her first airplane this past week!

Top Bottom