Some pics of my 458 Socom

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    From left to right: 5.56x45, .458 SOCOM, .50 Beowulf, .499 LWR

AR-15W.jpg

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    thanks for the kudos guys, I waited over a year to get the upper, I bought it from the socom board over 6 months ago now.. and I had bought some corbon ammo from a guy on gunbroker..

The lots were bad lots of ammo and I fought it choking on ammo for 6 months.. even shipping it off to martey and having him give it the thumbs up.. only to find out the ammo was bad.. corbon is making it right as we speak..

well that fixed most of the problems.. the was some bur on the ramps of the barrel extension and Todd fixed them without even telling me until later on..

So the foam was long gone since the gun was apart 20 times I think.. not including painting it.. I will wrap it with some paracord and build up the cheek. thankfully I have fat cheeks so it wont be a lot.. :)

soo fast forward 18 months.. it will be thumping very soon. with hand loads and I am really thinking making it a sbr ..

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Very cool. I love the color combo! You need to have him do the acog and mount to match though...
    Paracord isn't going to be very... comfy. I'm sure you can order a new foam tube from ace. Or maybe head to bike shop and get some handlebar foam. I bet you could paint those with some waterbased paints.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I don't see a clear picture of the right hand side, but it appears to not have an ejection port door. Is that a .458 thing due to the case size? Otherwise, looks good! I always thought the .458 was an interesting round due to the large range of projo weights that can be used.

SigArmed1

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 21, 2007
    Prairieville, LA
    Nice looking rifle! Here's my RRA. I added the Ace 1 inch butt pad and it feels more like a .410 now. Much better than the meat shredder it came with! I also had some of that bad Corbon ammo (405 grain) and am waiting for them to send me some more as well. Love the Socom though. Lots of fun to shoot!
    458Socom004.jpg

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    I don't see a clear picture of the right hand side, but it appears to not have an ejection port door. Is that a .458 thing due to the case size? Otherwise, looks good! I always thought the .458 was an interesting round due to the large range of projo weights that can be used.

Correct, there is no door. Every one I've seen with a door is banged up at the top. If its done right you loose the door catch. I swapped uppers for him and milled that one to fit

The feed ramps on this were rough/sharp and really ruined the brass. So they also took a lot of work to get right

Last edited:
    Top Bottom