Some questions.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Hi there. I don't know if this forum is more for discussion between guys in the club or it's open for questions about the AK74 series. Move/delete if necessary.

If it's open, I have some questions. I'm getting an AK74. I'm selling my FAL and using the money to fund it. People keep pointing me to the arsenal one. I have read quite a bit and everything points to "get the arsenal". However, I know that some are stuck on brand and i've never been like that. Waffen Werks makes what is supposedly a very fine AK. They appear to be built using the same Bulgarian kits with chrome barrels, etc...

What's the difference?

I ask because I didn't want to blow the wad on a single gun. Was hoping to have a little left over to put into a fund to get a precision rifle later. ...but i'm also kind of looking for quality more than anything.

(edit edit edit hell)

Last edited:

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I don't think there's actually a club. It's more of a club in the academic sense. What are you goals for the AK? Do you definitely want a 74 or would you also consider a 47?

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Well, club, special section... didn't want to intrude either way.

My goals are to have something with light recoil while still satisfying my appreciation of AK rifles. I want my niece, nephew, wife etc, to be able to shoot it comfortably without having to benchrest the thing (like they had to do with my FAL). The .308 was also too much recoil for them. I'm scared of 7.62x39 having the same problem.

I like the flatter trajectory of the 5.45 round (personally) but if I were buying for myself alone, i'd still be going back and forth with this.

My idea was to get a 74, then later, a stock SKS.

Trueno

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Tejas - home of SRV!
    I ask because I didn't want to blow the wad on a single gun.

5.45 has taken some jumps in price lately so if you're gonna get a 74 then do so, and get the ammo soon.

ssr74s772.jpg

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Well, club, special section... didn't want to intrude either way.

My goals are to have something with light recoil while still satisfying my appreciation of AK rifles. I want my niece, nephew, wife etc, to be able to shoot it comfortably without having to benchrest the thing (like they had to do with my FAL). The .308 was also too much recoil for them. I'm scared of 7.62x39 having the same problem.

I like the flatter trajectory of the 5.45 round (personally) but if I were buying for myself alone, i'd still be going back and forth with this.

My idea was to get a 74, then later, a stock SKS.

Well, your wife and kids won't have any issues with the recoil of the 7.62 x 39, it kicks half as hard as a .308. I haven't fired the 5.45, so can't compare. If you really want the '74, get it now like Trueno says, cuz the ammo aint getting any cheaper. I'd get an AK over an SKS down the road, tho... hell, I'd just get 2 AKs, a boatload of mags, and a few cases of x39 and call it a day! :rockon:

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Why are you getting rid of a FAL to step down to an AK?

Long story short, im the only one that could shoot it. For my wife, niece, nephew, friends, it was just too much gun. I was in the process of going the para route, but it would have cost me $500 more that I wasn't really enthusiastic about spending. I had it all mapped out until I brought a few family members to the range and saw none of them could handle it.

Then there's the part about me being a cheap-skate. Ammo prices were getting worse and worse, and the perpetual "obama r gunna taek ur gunz!" **** did not help my wallet (I am not a violent person, but I would like to beat panic buyers with something heavy and blunt).

Finally, I bought an RPK years ago and it just got into my blood. That's the best way I can put it.

Update for the original post: I ended up buying the Waffen Werks AK74 and am very impressed. I simply cannot tell you just how clean the rifle is. The fit and finish is second to none. When I weighed the differences between Waffen and Arsenal, I couldn't justify the $200 extra cost for the hammer forged barrel, especially when it's chrome lined because its my understanding that it negates the accuracy "boost" anyway.

The trigger is phenomenal. I've never had a military rifle with a trigger this fine. Even the guys over at American Freedom Firearms & Supply were impressed with it.

But anyway, yes, i'm incredibly happy with my purchase. I know i'm going to regret getting rid of the FAL eventually, but the guy that bought it from me seemed to be as interested as I was. He got a good gun, no doubt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom