Star Link Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Star Link. Anyone using it? Looking for some real world experience versus the sales pitch info I keep finding on the net.
    Specifically, how much does bad weather affect it. The tricky part of the question is defining bad weather.
    I have used sat TV and have seen it's limitations. Are these comparable?
    I like the idea of a system that works regardless of the grid.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Don’t have it but I’ve read it’s different tech than the old sat TV tech and has weather limitations but not near as bad as in the past. There are plenty of real world reviews from people who got in the beta that live in remote areas.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Low Earth orbit sats are more resilient and less affected by the weather as they are low and have better chance getting through the clouds. Your biggest issue would be keeping the cats off the heated dish...
    If it's mounted very high I doubt my 20lb yard bruiser could make it up there. If he could I would hate to find the leftovers from his night hunts.
    Thanks for the input guys.

Attachments

• IMG_8117.JPG
      IMG_8117.JPG
      540 KB · Views: 92

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    If it's mounted very high I doubt my 20lb yard bruiser could make it up there. If he could I would hate to find the leftovers from his night hunts.
    Thanks for the input guys.

What a beautiful big boy! Makes me miss my 19lb little buddy, George. He passed away a couple years ago. Best damn cat there ever was.
    IMG_0830.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMole68

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 12, 2015
    Metairie, LA
    I've got it on property in west Tennessee. Unless visibility goes to zero it's decent. Nothing like dish or that sort of product. Connection is strong, 100 mbs up and down usually. The 3 inches of snow didn't even get it to blink.
    73113b0df80b71e7345fdaad040cff0f.jpg

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

AndyG

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Lafayette, LA
    Star Link. Anyone using it? Looking for some real world experience versus the sales pitch info I keep finding on the net.
    Specifically, how much does bad weather affect it. The tricky part of the question is defining bad weather.
    I have used sat TV and have seen it's limitations. Are these comparable?
    I like the idea of a system that works regardless of the grid.
    Friend has it. Lives in the woods. His biggest complaint is trees; never mentioned weather as being problematic.

FYI - Believe you can still download the app and what coverage/availability looks like for your specific location.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Friend has it. Lives in the woods. His biggest complaint is trees; never mentioned weather as being problematic.

FYI - Believe you can still download the app and what coverage/availability looks like for your specific location.
    I've checked availabilty and the Northshore is covered. So much that there is a waiting list.

theonlytalkinggoat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2023
    Louisiana
    I have it at the cabin in N. La. Works perfectly. Have not noticed an issue in the rain, but I've not been there, since getting Starlink, in heavy rain, yet. It works fine in light rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom