Steel shot safe for 1100??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I got an invite from my lady friend's father to go duck hunting. I got my license, stamp, and warm stuff. I was planning on taking my 870, but it looks like complete ****. These people are going out with uber nice Benelli shottys, so I don't want to look like a country bumpkin with my rusted up 870 with no finish on the wood.

I've got a pretty nice Remington 1100 from 1982, and I was curious if this barrel is safe to use steel shot in. These are plain jane 2 3/4 #3 rounds.

I wanted the 870 only because it had a modified choke, and I thought the 1100 had a full choke. Went and checked tonight, and they both had modified chokes.

Anyhoo, am I safe to use these rounds in the gun??

DAVE

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    you need to shoot steel through steel approved chokes. i would not try it in your 1100. the steel in the barrel is not hard enough to handle the beating of steel

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I'd bring the 870, as you definately dont have to worry about messing up the finish. Anyway, if you choose to bring the 1100, it will be fine with steel shot, Just remember most 1100's are only chambered for 2 3/4" shells.
    FWIW, my Beretta 391 was uber nice at one time, but it is a tool for me to shoot ducks, and does so reliably, and I could care less what it looks like, or what others think, as long as it keeps shooting as good as it does.

you need to shoot steel through steel approved chokes. i would not try it in your 1100. the steel in the barrel is not hard enough to handle the beating of steel

Modern steel shot is nothing like when steel shot was mandated years ago, and they just replaced the lead shot with steel. All steel shot has a thick shot cup that is designed to compress when going through the constriction of the choke, as well as keep the shot itself from contacting the inside of the barrel as it exits through the muzzle. The early steel did not have a shot cup like that, combined with people using a tighter constriction choke for lead shot, is what messed up barrels. I have hunted with quite a few people who use a bone stock 1100 w/ modified barrel and not one problem with steel shot.

Last edited:

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    So what's the verdict?? Is the barrel in the 1100 going to get trashed??

What's happens to a gun when you go duck hunting?? Is it a bad idea to take something out that's got a decent wood stock??

I know we will be out there for a few hours, and 40 shots or so is about all my shoulder can take with a 12g pump. Yeah, it sucks being 125 pounds and 5% body fat.

Thanks for helping out a duck hunting newbie.

DAVE

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    steel is much harder than lead. steel will beat up the inside of the barrel. thats why you have to use a hardened steel choke to shoot steel. the stock will be ok, i would worry more about the barrel.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    So what's the verdict?? Is the barrel in the 1100 going to get trashed??

What's happens to a gun when you go duck hunting?? Is it a bad idea to take something out that's got a decent wood stock??

I know we will be out there for a few hours, and 40 shots or so is about all my shoulder can take with a 12g pump. Yeah, it sucks being 125 pounds and 5% body fat.

Thanks for helping out a duck hunting newbie.

DAVE

I dont know where you'll be hunting, but where we hunt is brackish/salt water, and it is hard on a guns finish. Also the 90 lb lab that gets full of mud tends to get everything coated, no matter how hard you try to keep him away.
    My verdict is that the 1100 barrel will be fine, the guys in the blind will also understand about a used/abused 870, as they have probably seen 1 or 2 before, and if its your first duck hunt, they probably dont expect you to go drop a grand on a uber nice benelli.
    I guess if it were my decision, I'd take the one that I shoot best and not worry either way.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    I dont know where you'll be hunting, but where we hunt is brackish/salt water, and it is hard on a guns finish. Also the 90 lb lab that gets full of mud tends to get everything coated, no matter how hard you try to keep him away.
    My verdict is that the 1100 barrel will be fine, the guys in the blind will also understand about a used/abused 870, as they have probably seen 1 or 2 before, and if its your first duck hunt, they probably dont expect you to go drop a grand on a uber nice benelli.
    I guess if it were my decision, I'd take the one that I shoot best and not worry either way.

Okay. Luckily, I'm pretty sure I got elected to be the bitch since we don't have a dog.

The only thing I'm worried about is the barrel. I could buy another if I HAD to, but I would really rather not drop $130 right now.

DAVE

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    You will be perfectly fine shooting steel through that 1100 bbl. My old old 870 and 11 87 have fired many thousands of rounds of steel shot with no ill effects. Enjoy your hunt.

Oreo

You'll Shoot Your Eye Out
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Red Stick
    I have an 1100 mod choke that I have shot steel through without issue. Some 1100's came with a fix FULL choke and in those I would say NO but Mod is just fine.

On the flip side why not take the 870? If it is what you shoot best and is your normal gun USE IT. If you think have a "old cheap gun" will make you look bad try shooting a nicer one and not hitting anything. ;)

Seriously we have been hunting with all the uber-dudes and their (at the time) fancy neoprene waders, automatic high dollar guns, super fancy clothes and trained retrievers. We were couple guy with 870's showing lots of love and use, rubber chest waders from Wal-mart, mixed matched camo and NO dog. Guess what... We smoked them hands down and when it was said and done it didn't matter what we wore or what gun we used. It did drive home the point that if you suck at shooting all the money in the world won't make you better. :D

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    I would handload some shells with pop corn, that way. if you don't get any ducks at least you'll have something to snack on.

Steel shot is the nemesis of shot gunners. I guess someone should make titanium barrels, then you could shoot whatever.

BSGA

BSGA
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Southwest,Louisiana
    The 1100 will handle steel fine. To be honest though, I'd shoot whichever one you shoot the best. If you have no experience with steel shot, it's a bit of a challenge to get used to. If your buying your own shells, trust me on this, get the fastest loads you can find and forget the expense. Don't get a heavy shot charge either. It is actually detrimental. Steel without speed simply does NOT kill like lead. With a speedy load it does very well, but is a challenge to adjust your lead. Best of luck!
    Steve

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I have an 1100 mod choke that I have shot steel through without issue. Some 1100's came with a fix FULL choke and in those I would say NO but Mod is just fine.
    Exactly my point, If he would have said full choke, I would have said no, may times.
    I would handload some shells with pop corn, that way. if you don't get any ducks at least you'll have something to snack on. :crazy:

Steel shot is the nemesis of shot gunners. I guess someone should make titanium barrels, then you could shoot whatever.
    :crazy:

The 1100 will handle steel fine. To be honest though, I'd shoot whichever one you shoot the best. If you have no experience with steel shot, it's a bit of a challenge to get used to. If your buying your own shells, trust me on this, get the fastest loads you can find and forget the expense. Don't get a heavy shot charge either. It is actually detrimental. Steel without speed simply does NOT kill like lead. With a speedy load it does very well, but is a challenge to adjust your lead. Best of luck!
    Steve

Correct on the High Velocity stuff. Basically it equates to F=M*A, where to keep the same Force, with a lighter mass, you need it to be faster.
    I actually like the 1 1/8 oz 3" shells for the extra velocity.

Top Bottom