Stolen Laptop Software - Prey

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I thought this was pretty cool. http://lifehacker.com/5643460/how-to-track-and-potentially-recover-your-stolen-laptop-or-android-with-prey

How to Track and (Potentially) Recover Your Stolen Laptop or Android with Prey

Laptops are lighter and more powerful than ever; they're also easier to steal. Luckily, a genuinely versatile and powerful track-and-recover applications is also free. Here's how Prey works, and how it could save you a month's rent in new laptop cost.

Why Prey?
    There are obvious reasons to like Prey. Chief among them, it's free to use for up to three devices of any kind, from computers running Windows, Mac, or Linux to Android devices. But that wouldn't mean anything if the tracking Prey provided wasn't really solid. It's not fool-proof, especially if the thief wants to entirely wipe your computer or phone, but if that's not the case, it gives you a fighting chance.

We'll tell you why in readable text, being a blog and all, but we think our video walkthrough, embedded above, tells the tale even better—with old-timey music, too, courtesy of Incompetech.

On a laptop with a webcam, a Wi-Fi chip, and Prey installed, it's a good bet you'll have a photo of your thief and an approximate location on them just as soon as they have your computer running for a few minutes. You don't have to actively search, either—devices with Prey installed in the background "phone home" to your web-based account every 20 minutes by default (you can decrease this interval), spilling their guts about everything they're doing.

Webcam snaps, desktop screenshots, lists of modified files and running programs, network data galore, and much more are provided to those who want to quietly track their, uh, prey. If you'd prefer to think that maybe someone just found your device, you can set read-aloud alerts, fire off alarms, change the system wallpaper, lock it with a password, and remotely wipe out your browser data—all from any browser you can get to.

The basics of installing and using Prey are covered in the video, but here's a brief run-through:

Step One: Set It and Forget It
    Head to Prey's download section, grab the package for your system (again, Prey supports Windows, Mac, Linux, and Android), then install it as normal, creating an account as you do so. The only major issue to address is how you want to control your system and track it if it goes missing. Most people will want to stick with the default, web-based standard method, but those who would prefer an email-based, server-controlled tracking setup can explore an "Advanced" option. I'm focusing on the default Prey + Control Panel setup.

Because it's tracking software that doesn't want to be seen, Prey is almost invisible when it's running on your system, without any configuration or executable files to be seen. In fact, once you've deleted the installer, you shouldn't be able to find Prey at all in your system, because that's the idea. It quietly and quickly checks in with Prey's servers in the background, at an interval you decide, to see if the owner has logged in and marked it as stolen. That's all it does—until you flip the switch on Prey's servers to note that it is, in fact, stolen, or ask for an update on the hardware profile.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIwEYd36wTo&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIwEYd36wTo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Not to be a 'Paranoid'... :rolleyes:

But -- The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves :dunno:
    http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2013150,00.html

TK

They don't need this software to figure out where you are.....

there are tons of this type of software out there..

this is just one more to help..

Is it free because this is for three computers.

And it offers some great features including working on MAC's and android phones.....

Last edited:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Prey is a great solution for your average Joe that wants to protect his computer.

My laptop has a more advanced custom program, recording an image with the webcam at login and logging GPS data + image to a server whenever there is a failed login. Aside from that, I can't really say any more about it. It does have a warning posted at the login screen for any that may try.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Prey is a great solution for your average Joe that wants to protect his computer.

My laptop has a more advanced custom program, recording an image with the webcam at login and logging GPS data + image to a server whenever there is a failed login. Aside from that, I can't really say any more about it. It does have a warning posted at the login screen for any that may try.

Share the wealth. :o

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I installed and tested Prey and I LOVE it! In testing, I couldn't tell it was running/doing anything even when it took my picture! The report returned with a map showing right where my computer was and the picture of me along with the IP info and other details.
    HIGHLY recommended!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    knguyen
    Top Bottom