Stun Gun Recommendations (For Petite Woman)?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    As the title suggests, she is a smaller woman. What do you guys that got one for your wives, GF's, or daughters suggest I look at.
    I would like to stay away from Chinese made garbage if there are American made ones available.
    Thanks in advance.
    Emp

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Stun guns (contact shock) and Tasers (probes that fire) are TERRIBLE options for civilians to carry, especially petite women. If a women is willing to carry either, she'd probably also be okay to carry pepper spray which is considerably better.

If she is close enough to someone where she is going to contact stun them with a stun gun, they are going to take it from her.

A Taser that fires probes is bulky and only gives 1 (maybe two) shots, but without adequate probe seperation it's not guaranteed to incapacitate the aggressor.

The idea would be that she would stun them, and use that time to escape and run away.

Pepper spray will have the same range as a Taser, will have an immediate effect, and can be carried almost anywhere. It has more than two shots as well. Plus, it's cheap enough where if it's lost it can be replaced.

Take a look at the POM spray - it's available on Amazon.

If you have a woman who is really willing to carry an actual Taser, I'd try to get her to be willing to carry a comparably sized pistol. In most cases, if it's legal and justified to tase someone, it's also legal to shoot them.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Fox lab’s 5.3 million SHU police pepper spray. It is billed as the worlds’ hottest pepper spray used by police departments all over the country. It has enough OC for 18 half second bursts in this two ounce canister and fires a heavy stream up to 20 feet away. This is the only spray that I know of that makes a claim that is compatible with the taser or electronic control device. It has a three-year shelf life.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You remember the phrase; "Two is one and one is none?" She has pepper spray (Freeze+P). The stun gun is to help heighten her sense of situational awareness.

Comparably, this pistol in my pants constantly reminds me it's there. Therefore, I consciously always know why I have it, and what I should be thinking about when I am out and about. That is, being situationally aware of my surroundings.

I'm not thinking she is going to go hand to hand with an attacker. Hell, he / she could have a stun gun too. Then what? If you can imagine how that would look it's almost comical. Like two people in a knife fight dancing around each other to see who can get the first lethal jab without getting jabbed. That's not her forte'.

I tried the OTF knife, but she said it was too scary. She has her own pistol, but I can't get her to carry it, sooooo.

I suppose the stunner can be a weapon of last resort if she gets a chance to deploy it, but if it reminds her to be mindful of her surroundings in the first place, she may never need it! ;)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Fox lab’s 5.3 million SHU police pepper spray. It is billed as the worlds’ hottest pepper spray used by police departments all over the country. It has enough OC for 18 half second bursts in this two ounce canister and fires a heavy stream up to 20 feet away. This is the only spray that I know of that makes a claim that is compatible with the taser or electronic control device. It has a three-year shelf life.
    I will check this out.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here

We used that and then went back to freeze +P. Not sure why, probably cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    We used that and then went back to freeze +P. Not sure why, probably cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Freeze+P is very good and widely used by LEA's. Cost is a factor when buying for a LEA.

I was hit from ear to ear and across the eyes with Freeze +P late one night after 3 long days training in the sun on the EBRSO range.
    Being sunburned it was miserable.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    You remember the phrase; "Two is one and one is none?" She has pepper spray (Freeze+P). The stun gun is to help heighten her sense of situational awareness.

Comparably, this pistol in my pants constantly reminds me it's there. Therefore, I consciously always know why I have it, and what I should be thinking about when I am out and about. That is, being situationally aware of my surroundings.

I'm not thinking she is going to go hand to hand with an attacker. Hell, he / she could have a stun gun too. Then what? If you can imagine how that would look it's almost comical. Like two people in a knife fight dancing around each other to see who can get the first lethal jab without getting jabbed. That's not her forte'.

I tried the OTF knife, but she said it was too scary. She has her own pistol, but I can't get her to carry it, sooooo.

I suppose the stunner can be a weapon of last resort if she gets a chance to deploy it, but if it reminds her to be mindful of her surroundings in the first place, she may never need it! ;)
    There are better ways to heighten situational awareness besides a stun gun.

Why is she willing to carry a stun gun over an actual gun?

In general, stun guns are poor options for non LE.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    There are better ways to heighten situational awareness besides a stun gun.

Why is she willing to carry a stun gun over an actual gun?

In general, stun guns are poor options for non LE.
    Stun guns don't come with the scrutiny and big of a barrage of questions, reprocussions, and paperwork if it has to be deployed vs a firearm. Lol...

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I watched a video once of a girl trying to defend herself against an aggressor with a stun gun. It had no effect on the attacker. He still was easily able to over power her, despite being shocked many times, in various places.
    Tasers and stun guns are NOT the same.

Buy her a taser and some pepper spray and a whistle. Gel pepper spray.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Stun guns don't come with the scrutiny and big of a barrage of questions, reprocussions, and paperwork if it has to be deployed vs a firearm. Lol...
    They also don't work a lot of the time. If you have to deploy either a firearm or a Taser and they don't work, the consequences are a likely a lot more severe than the consequences you'll go through for deploying one.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Keep in mind theirs also no guarantee pepper spray will be effective whatsoever. I’ve witnessed countless people during my time in the navy get pepper sprayed and run the qualification course like a champ afterwards. Some people are still able to function just fine after being sprayed directly in both eyes and some people it has absolutely no effect on. The percentage of people I saw get defeated from pepper spray was very low. I do not remember the exact course we ran as it’s been quite a few years now but I do remember the first thing we did after getting sprayed was fight off two attackers one of which was armed and had to be disarmed.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Keep in mind theirs also no guarantee pepper spray will be effective whatsoever. I’ve witnessed countless people during my time in the navy get pepper sprayed and run the qualification course like a champ afterwards. Some people are still able to function just fine after being sprayed directly in both eyes and some people it has absolutely no effect on. The percentage of people I saw get defeated from pepper spray was very low. I do not remember the exact course we ran as it’s been quite a few years now but I do remember the first thing we did after getting sprayed was fight off two attackers one of which was armed and had to be disarmed.
    There is a big difference between a serviceman in the Navy under a controlled situation and someone committing a crime out on the street. If I remember correctly, the Navy only uses OC and not CS as well.

There is no guarantee that shooting someone will immediately stop them outside of a CNS hit. But you have at minimum 5 shots.

A contact stun gun is not nearly as effective as pepper spray. And you have to be within touching distance. A probe Taser requires adequate seperation and still has a slim chance of working in a civilian use case. Hell, many LE with Taser training still don't get the intended affect out of them. With a Taser, you get one shot. Maybe two. And it's bulky.

Spray is a lot more forgiving and gives 10+ shots AND you don't have to have expert accuracy. The idea is to deter someone bad from stopping doing what they're doing.

I would urge anyone considering this to find any reputable self defense instructor or school that encourages a civilian carrying a Taser.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

My experience is exactly opposite yours when sprayed directly in both eyes. Maybe the Navy should try a more potent spray.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    There is a big difference between a serviceman in the Navy under a controlled situation and someone committing a crime out on the street. If I remember correctly, the Navy only uses OC and not CS as well.

There is no guarantee that shooting someone will immediately stop them outside of a CNS hit. But you have at minimum 5 shots.

A contact stun gun is not nearly as effective as pepper spray. And you have to be within touching distance. A probe Taser requires adequate seperation and still has a slim chance of working in a civilian use case. Hell, many LE with Taser training still don't get the intended affect out of them. With a Taser, you get one shot. Maybe two. And it's bulky.

Spray is a lot more forgiving and gives 10+ shots AND you don't have to have expert accuracy. The idea is to deter someone bad from stopping doing what they're doing.

I would urge anyone considering this to find any reputable self defense instructor or school that encourages a civilian carrying a Taser.
    To your first point I would disagree. Many of these people are kids who have never been in any sort of a scuffle growing up. Having the time to think about what’s about to happen opposed to it happening spur of the moment can be a disadvantage. I’ve also witnessed countless people try to come up with excuse after excuse as to why they couldn’t or didn’t want to run the course.
    In the grand scheme of things the difference between oc and cs spray is minimal.

Just from what I’ve observed tasers are MUCH more effective in dropping an individual temporarily however like you mentioned they are bulky and with better models you only get two shots. Reloading is also not an easy task.

One big advantage of using spray is separation. You don’t have to be within arms reach to deploy it. One big negative with it is wind and over spray.

Chances are if you are in a self defense situation you are going to be pretty close to the potential attacker and more than likely within arms reach at some point. If I was in a scuffle with someone and my only options were oc or cs spray or a stun gun personally I’d take the stun gun.

I think the best option we have is obviously a firearm. Some people just aren’t comfortable carrying a firearm. Whatever option someone goes with training with it is going to be the most beneficial thing they can do. On top of training I’d say do plenty of research to make sure you are using the best tool you possibly can. Not all spray, tasers, stun guns, or bullets are created equally. Doing the research to use the best one possible for your setup and then practicing with that setup will be beneficial.

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    My experience is exactly opposite yours when sprayed directly in both eyes. Maybe the Navy should try a more potent spray.
    1.33% Major Capsaicinoids is the highest concentration you can get for a LEA or Military. I don’t think you can get anything more potent than that unless you move to bear sprays which go up to 2.0%

For me personally the worst part of being sprayed was always after the fact. Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t fun one but at the time but after when you sneeze, yawn, or take a shower and get a reflash when you think it’s over really sucks.

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    To your first point I would disagree. Many of these people are kids who have never been in any sort of a scuffle growing up. Having the time to think about what’s about to happen opposed to it happening spur of the moment can be a disadvantage. I’ve also witnessed countless people try to come up with excuse after excuse as to why they couldn’t or didn’t want to run the course.
    In the grand scheme of things the difference between oc and cs spray is minimal.

Just from what I’ve observed tasers are MUCH more effective in dropping an individual temporarily however like you mentioned they are bulky and with better models you only get two shots. Reloading is also not an easy task.

One big advantage of using spray is separation. You don’t have to be within arms reach to deploy it. One big negative with it is wind and over spray.

Chances are if you are in a self defense situation you are going to be pretty close to the potential attacker and more than likely within arms reach at some point. If I was in a scuffle with someone and my only options were oc or cs spray or a stun gun personally I’d take the stun gun.

I think the best option we have is obviously a firearm. Some people just aren’t comfortable carrying a firearm. Whatever option someone goes with training with it is going to be the most beneficial thing they can do. On top of training I’d say do plenty of research to make sure you are using the best tool you possibly can. Not all spray, tasers, stun guns, or bullets are created equally. Doing the research to use the best one possible for your setup and then practicing with that setup will be beneficial.
    The major differentiator is that you know it's coming and are as prepared as you can be for it.

In a self-defense situation, there should be no telegraphing that spray is inbound. It should be strong words followed by spray. The spicy sauce should be a complete and utter surprise. Ideally it should get in their eyes, nose, and mouth. In spray training the motto is to paint a cross on their face.

Up close, spray will be better than a Taser as you won't be able to get separation.

In an actual on the ground scuffle, I'm really not sure that a stun contact zap-stick is going to do much of anything. In all honesty, neither would pepper spray. I see the contact stun tool as almost completely useless outside of LE trying to use it for pain compliance while cuffing someone. But an on the ground scuffle isn't the use case for the above, that would be ground skills.

Spray is a great tool that comes between strong words and lethal force. I just don't see a Taser sitting in the same bucket.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Having been tased, sprayed and gassed more than once I would take the ride before being sprayed or gassed again.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I would think the limited number of shots(shocks) would be a disadvantaage. I prefer for my wife to have her little S&W J frame .38, five shots no need to worry about undercharged batteries either.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Pepper spray works through pain compliance. A person can have a low sensitivity to pain because of mental issues or due to narcotics they have taken. In those cases, pepper spray will be considerably less effective. The person will still have the physical reactions such as watery eyes but the pain aspect would be greatly diminished.

A stun gun also works on pain compliance. But as stated before, the distance needed, or lack of distance needed, is an issue. It only works through direct contact and thicker clothing like jackets also diminish its effectiveness.

A taser can be effective from a greater distance. But it requires some degree of accuracy to get the separation needed for neuromuscular incapacitation. If only one prong hits, NMI can be achieved by touching the taser to a point on the body at least 7-12" from the prong. But at that point, you've lost the advantage of distance and NMI stops if contact is lost. And it's usually a single shot so it has to be a good first shot. Bulky clothing can also make it harder to get a good connection. But if a good connection is made, it's a 30 second ride. The device is designed so you can drop it and have time to get away. Assuming you've registered the taser with the company, you should go to the police and file a report. You would then send the report to taser and they would send you a new unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom