Suggestions for rebluing S&W Model 28

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I’m pretty much of the belief that sending a firearm back to the manufacturer is the best option, but I consider a Turnbull restoration a step up from that if I was buying a refinished piece.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    Hard to get into blueing with the EPA these days. Talked to a gun shop a while back and they opted not to do blueing because the EPA wanted tens of thousands of dollars because there was a ditch about 200 yards away from the shop.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    We now have a smith in Metairie that does hot blueing. A1 Gun and Repair. Give him a call. He has done some work for me and was great.
    I know this is a late reply. I thought A-1 was gone years ago. Just did a Google Earth search and see it's in a space facing W Esplanade. I remember back in the 90's, A-1 was located in the adjacent strip building that faces Kent.
    Don't know if it's the same guy or not, but he wasn't exactly young in the late 90's. Maybe a son took over or someone else using the same name.
    I brought a Rem 1100 to him to cut the stock and put a recoil pad on for me when I started using it for skeet, probably in '98 or '99. Nice gun; bought it used and it was a skeet model; 28" skeet choke barrel, vent rib with center rib bead; very nice wood.
    He ruined the stock. He cut it wrong and put a bad negative pitch on it. I was so pissed, I didn't even bother going back to him. I made a wood spacer myself, stained it, and---because he cut it wrong, the pad that he ground didn't fit after I made the spacer. I put another pad on it and ground it my damned self.
    And I've done others since and have even installed Jones and Morgan stock adjusters.
    Just had to reply because that guy screwing up my gun is something I'll never forget, since I still have it and can't miss the spacer I had to install.

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    I know this is a late reply. I thought A-1 was gone years ago. Just did a Google Earth search and see it's in a space facing W Esplanade. I remember back in the 90's, A-1 was located in the adjacent strip building that faces Kent.
    Don't know if it's the same guy or not, but he wasn't exactly young in the late 90's. Maybe a son took over or someone else using the same name.
    I brought a Rem 1100 to him to cut the stock and put a recoil pad on for me when I started using it for skeet, probably in '98 or '99. Nice gun; bought it used and it was a skeet model; 28" skeet choke barrel, vent rib with center rib bead; very nice wood.
    He ruined the stock. He cut it wrong and put a bad negative pitch on it. I was so pissed, I didn't even bother going back to him. I made a wood spacer myself, stained it, and---because he cut it wrong, the pad that he ground didn't fit after I made the spacer. I put another pad on it and ground it my damned self.
    And I've done others since and have even installed Jones and Morgan stock adjusters.
    Just had to reply because that guy screwing up my gun is something I'll never forget, since I still have it and can't miss the spacer I had to install.
    Yep he's gone. Sold the business to a real solid smith Rob.

mod1911a

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Covington, LA
    Yep he's gone. Sold the business to a real solid smith Rob.
    I appreciate that info. As I mentioned, years ago I noticed that the old business location that faced Kent Ave was gone. Seeing A-1 mentioned in this thread, then finding the new location around the corner on W Esplanade had my curiosity going.
    I moved to Covington 19 years ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom