Suggestions for rebluing S&W Model 28

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I can specifically say do not use anyone IN BR. I have not seen quality blue work IN BR in years. There is a refinishing place in florida that does good work but the name escapes me , they have a website iirc.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    If you make your way to Covington, my recommendation would be Reulet Gunworks. He does an amazing job with restorations and bluing.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Has your friend looked into asking S&W to restore the pistol? I’ve had good success over the years sending pistols back to the manufacturer for treatment. I’d give them a call and rule them out or not first. If he decides to go factory he should keep all records in the event he decides to sell it down the road.
    I picked up an old trooper special .357 for a cool $200 years ago that had plenty of holster wear but the owner swore less than 100 rounds fired so it was very tight. The owner had a professional action job done and the gun shot like a dream. I knew my father would appreciate it and I had nothing in it, so one range day I brought it out and we shot it a bit. He really liked it so I gave it to him. Having nothing invested in the gun, he sent it back to the factory and their smiths polish the few nicks and scratches out and reblue the pistol to look like brand new. He bought fresh correct grips for it and called it a day. He was very pleased. Being restored by the manufacturer definitely counts for resale with collectors and basically gives you a new firearm for not a lot of money. If I was gonna spend money on getting one reblued anyway I’d spring for a little more and have it come back new. In my experience the turnover is pretty short as well.

Last edited:

braud40x40

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 4, 2013
    Gonzales, LA
    Yes, that was my suggestion to him as well ! I have sent guns back to Dan Wesson and Ruger for rebluing and they came back looking brand-new !

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just a thought ... if this is a really early 28, then your friend might consider leaving it as is. From a collectibility perspective, refinishing a firearm will lower its value and desirability to collectors.

If it's a shooter-grade gun, then Ford's is probably the best bet.

Mike

Wikun

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    Metairie, La
    We now have a smith in Metairie that does hot blueing. A1 Gun and Repair. Give him a call. He has done some work for me and was great.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Don’t send it back to Smith & Wesson either. I sent of old 5-screw pre-17 back to be blued. It took about 4-months and I was disappointed to say the least. It was not the high luster blue of the old S&W, it was more like an old M-28, in that it was a flat blue. It also contained a lot of blueing salt on several areas that I had to remove.

Bryan
    Louisiana Gun

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Wow , opinions on sending it back to S&W are all over the map . I've seen some of Reulet's work and it looks very nice . If the need ever arises , they will be my choice .

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Wow , opinions on sending it back to S&W are all over the map . I've seen some of Reulet's work and it looks very nice . If the need ever arises , they will be my choice .
    I thought this comment was off and just looked back. Looks like only one member opposed sending it back to S&W because he had a bad experience. I think sending a gun back to the original manufacturer for repairs is going to be the best option.

pullstart

Lastof6
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    Metairie, La
    I agree with post #11. Model 28 is a matte finish. Unless you have a personal connection to that specific gun I would suggest you sell it and purchase another one in better condition. It would be hard in my opinion to match the factory finish and a shiny reblued Model 28 will raise red flags all day long.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I thought this comment was off and just looked back. Looks like only one member opposed sending it back to S&W because he had a bad experience. I think sending a gun back to the original manufacturer for repairs is going to be the best option.
    Are you counting all of those posts that recommended other shops without mentioning the manufacturer at all ?

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    Are you counting all of those posts that recommended other shops without mentioning the manufacturer at all ?
    Considering OP’s original post was looking for someone local in Baton Rouge I did not. I figured most would agree sending it back to Smith if possible would be the best option in most cases however post # 11 did have a valid point on why OP may not want to do that. I apologize if I came off the wrong way.

Top Bottom