Suppressed Ruger 10/22 - ammo questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    I have a Ruger SR-22 Rifle - it's the 10/22 with the AR furniture on it. Great gun.

Anyhoo - I have a suppressor on order and waiting for my paperwork to go through since June and was wanting to know who has experience shooting the 10/22 suppressed and what ammo are they using?

Now - as far as ammo goes, I know I'm supposed to shoot subsonic BUT it seems the lower velocity of the "high velocity" i.e. Remington Golden Bullets and the Winchester bulk stuff does not have that supersonic crack like the CCI velocitors out of this weapon. So I'm guessing those are maybe coming out less than 1,100 FPS.

I'm having a tough time finding subsonic .22LR but have a good stock of the higher velocity stuff.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Bulk ammo stays subsonic in barrels 4.5 inches and under.

Use subsonic ammo if you can find it.

Since you have a 10/22, get a JG bolt lock so you can lock the bolt and eliminate the action noise.

JR1572

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Another tip. I find remington subsonic to be inconsistent. Steer clear and stick with cci subsonic or standard velocity, Aguila subsonic, or gemtech subsonic.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Another tip. I find remington subsonic to be inconsistent. Steer clear and stick with cci subsonic or standard velocity, Aguila subsonic, or gemtech subsonic.

I've never had any issues with Remington subsonic .22lr ammo.

I'm still sitting on a pile of that stuff that I bought back in 08 before the first panic.

JR1572

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013

Yeah, that's the 1st problem -- the only subsonic I can find (rarely) is the Remington Subsonic.....
    the 2nd problem is I'm still waiting for my Federal ATF Stamp -- hopefully not too much longer since my paperwork was put in during June.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I've never had any issues with Remington subsonic .22lr ammo.

I'm still sitting on a pile of that stuff that I bought back in 08 before the first panic.

JR1572

The stuff I've tried has been more recent than 08. Perhaps a decline in quality control? (The bricks I purchased were in 2011) Either way, I won't be buying it if the other options I listed are available.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Cool! I wonder who makes these rounds for Gemtech??

Posted by Gemtech:

We worked for just over a year with ATK, to come up with something that would better suit the market.
    A Clean, Quiet, Reliable, & Accurate, 22 round, just for use in suppressed weapons.
    However it is accurate enough, that we've had sponsored shooters switch from Brand X. Because they shoot better with our ammo.

See this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/407104_Gemtech_subsonic_ammo.html

cowdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    I haven't ran across much .22 in over a year; some Federal AutoMatch that I don't care for.
    The Remington and Federal bulk packs don't shoot consistently subsonic; several go super regularly out of a suppressor.
    I did have a few boxes of the Winchester M-22 which are listed as close to velocity as CCI Mini-Mag and they seem to shoot pretty consistent.
    About 98% of the time they are pellet gun quiet out of a suppressed pistol.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Most of the LR subsonic stuff is 1050fps. I've had good luck with the Remington subsonic from my bolt gun, but the 10/22 I have set up for subsonic really likes the CCI subsonic for accuracy. The remy was all over the paper with that gun.
    I've tried RWS, aguila, Remington and CCI.

On another note, the CCI "Quiet" ammo is about 100fps slower. But again, very poor group with that from the Ruger.
    If you look at the velocity of much of the match and target LR you'll find it to be in the subsonic range.

Lastly, for better results in the quiet category, you can't beat a good bolt action .22
    And if you want better performance down range, those aguila 60 grain subsonic loads pack a nice punch.

Seems like a bunch of folks are still having trouble finding .22
    I haven't seen any on the shelf in some time. Maybe I'll post up a WTS thread and dig out a few bricks

Last edited:

ABNsurveyor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Polk area
    Make sure you read the manual for your suppressor. I just picked up my AAC Element2 the last week and it said not to use the Aguila Sniper SubSonic 60 Grain 950fbs as it caused baffle strikes.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Make sure you read the manual for your suppressor. I just picked up my AAC Element2 the last week and it said not to use the Aguila Sniper SubSonic 60 Grain 950fbs as it caused baffle strikes.

That has a lot to do with the fact that the SSS works best in barrels with 1:9 twist rates. I would be curious to see if AAC would change their stance if you were utilizing a 1:9 barrel...

I would never fire that stuff through a suppressor without the appropriate barrel.

JR1572

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    CCI quite will not cycle either of my 10/22s but will cycle ma Marlin 75.
    They are considerably more quite than standard velocity and have backyard critter accuracy.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markvix
    Top Bottom