Suppressed Ruger 10/22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LArhino

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ruston
    I have one that I use my Silencerco Stainless Sparrow on and I think it is great. I am not an expert on suppressed weapons but it all seems to boil down to the ammunition used. With standard velocity ammunition, it seems to take away the muzzle blast at your ears but you still hear the crack out away from you. No problem shooting without hearing protection. With subsonic ammunition that changes quite a bit. You pretty much just hear the click of the hammer and bolt and then you hear the thump of the projectile hitting your target. It is pretty cool.

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    They are not bad, but it depends on the suppressor used and ammunition. Different brands/models sound better than others. You will still hear the downrange crack if you are shooting supersonic ammunition. If your ultimate goal is as quiet as possible, then you need a gun with a locked bolt while shooting subsonic ammo. Something like a bolt action or lever gun. A suppressed bolt action with subsonic ammo can be ridiculously quiet.

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    Thanks bearco, so would a 22 suppressor work on a 22mag or would the pressure damage the suppressor
    the silencerco sparrow is rated for .22lr, .17, 5.7, and .22mag.
    PM TDH here on the board if you looking for a good deal on one, he is right here in Walker.

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    The sparrow is a horrible choice for a rifle. Among other things, it has a terrible first round pop
    Talk to TDH about the Liberty suppressors

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    I've heard both back to back. Saying a sparrow is a horrible choice seems a bit excessive. The best choice for absolute most quiet first round pop? Maybe not. But still a very quiet setup.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    With standard velocity ammunition, it seems to take away the muzzle blast at your ears but you still hear the crack out away from you. No problem shooting without hearing protection. With subsonic ammunition that changes quite a bit.

I don't know what standard velocity ammo you are referring to but CCI SV stays sub sonic out of my 16" and my 22" barrel bolt guns.

The sparrow is a horrible choice for a rifle. Among other things, it has a terrible first round pop
    Talk to TDH about the Liberty suppressors

I disagree. The Sparrow does have the FRP but unless you are trying to be a super ninja, what does it matter? What other things are you talking about when you say "among other things"? I think its one of the best .22 cans out for either rifle or pistol.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    I have a Spectre and use on a 10/22 with a 16 threaded barrel. With CCI standard Vel ammo it is as quiet as my pistol. I also use the Spectre on a Marlin 917 with an 18" barrel and only a small crack is noticable. I am currently working to run the can on a 22 mag pistol when I get it to run right with the new barrel. I have not heard the new sparrow but I know how good the Spectre is. But running a can with high vel ammo will always crack.

Last edited:

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    I disagree. The Sparrow does have the FRP but unless you are trying to be a super ninja, what does it matter? What other things are you talking about when you say "among other things"? I think its one of the best .22 cans out for either rifle or pistol.

+1
    If you want to be super ninja:ninja:, you can always load it with wire pulling lube. That will take care of that FRP for you.....

cnodie1

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    New Orleans

LArhino

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ruston
    I don't know what standard velocity ammo you are referring to but CCI SV stays sub sonic out of my 16" and my 22" barrel bolt guns.

I have not had my suppressor very long and I have not tried the CCI SV ammo. However the Winchester 333 bulk does not stay sub-sonic out of my 16" barrel.

I will say this, on my Buckmark pistol with the 4.5" barrel and SS Sparrow, sub-sonic ammo and Winchester bulk sound the same to my ears.

I have also heard good things about the Liberty suppressors but have not had a chance to try one out. From what I know they are a little larger in size than the Sparrow but I think the weight is negligible. I just wanted a compact package since it was pulling double duty on a pistol and rifle. Maybe I will have to get one specific for my rifles.

sonanth

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    New Iberia, LA
    You do not want to shoot .22 through a .223 suppressor, unless you can COMPLETELY take it apart and clean off the molten lead and horrendous carbon buildup.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    LArhino, The bulk pack stuff will stay sub sonic out of your 4.5" pistol barrel because the bullet won't reach super sonic speeds in that short of a barrel. This is why it sounds the same. Shooting sub-sonic or standard velocity in a rifle will be as quiet if not quieter than your pistol. Try some CCI Standard Velocity or Wolf Match Target out of your rifle and it should be very quiet with the can on.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Thanks bearco, so would a 22 suppressor work on a 22mag or would the pressure damage the suppressor
    Many are rated for 22mag and .17, but certainly not all. I know the Gemtech Alpine is rated at 22mag/17, but not 5.7. The Alpine does not have a louder first round pop.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom