Supreme Court Rules Against New York Licensing Law

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/20-843_7j80.pdf

Link is to full opinion; 135 pages long.

Upshot is New York cannot require a "need" to issue a gun license. It also looks to me that this is a broader ruling than just New York. Justice Thomas wrote the opinion and corrects the various lower federal courts which applied their own test in addition to the rulings in the Heller and McDonald cases.

This is a huge win for gun rights

He also stated that the 2nd Amendment applied to "arms" that did not exist at the time of the writing of the Bill of Rights.

There's probably more, but I've only skimmed it.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    The important part:
    "Held: New York’s proper-cause requirement violates the Fourteenth Amendment by preventing law-abiding citizens with ordinary self-defense needs from exercising their Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms in public for self-defense."

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    I happened to see the breaking news on nbc & they were not happy. The anchors asked the lew expert “What can be done now?” New Taxes & limits on ammo and mags.
    Get ready for the new ride, but the same old story.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    The opinion also made explicit that strict scrutiny must be applied to 2nd Amendment cases and laws.

It's a fairly scholarly piece, like the Heller case. One interesting tidbit: the government provided pistols to the teachers in schools for newly freed Blacks during Reconstruction.

Peacemaker

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Slidell, La
    I think it means that your right shall not be infringed. That is protection under the constitution. I believe strict scrutiny will allow law abiding citizens to carry concealed or otherwise for self-defense without harassment.

This is a big BIG WIN for gunowners!

This whole tax guns and ammo out of existence will fail also.

warbay48_

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2022
    nc
    The opinion also made explicit that strict scrutiny must be applied to 2nd Amendment cases and laws.

It's a fairly scholarly piece, like the Heller case. One interesting tidbit: the government provided pistols to the teachers in schools for newly freed Blacks during Reconstruction

frankinola

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    This is good for the states like MA, NY, CA where you have to be 'connected' or 'show need' to a permit. this was the issue in LA before the state permit went into law. I does not 'do away with the permit process', that still stands. so if they fail to staff the office or fully fund it, they can delay permits.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Does this mean constitutional carry?
    The decision says that states may require a license. What they cannot do is impose an undue burden on getting that license. Much litigation is likely to follow when the gun control favoring states try to find a way around the ruling - just like they tried to find a way around Heller. What's interesting is that Justice Thomas specifically addressed the court's pique with those who disingenuously misread Heller. He made a point of stating what should have been obvious the first time.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Holy ****. When I first say the headline, I thought they "leaked" it anonymously or "accidentally"... No, they are owning it as a good deed to "keep communities safer"

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Holy ****. When I first say the headline, I thought they "leaked" it anonymously or "accidentally"... No, they are owning it as a good deed to "keep communities safer"

Kinda makes them a target for burglary.

Top Bottom