Sweeping Changes at NOPD.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    :rofl::biglaugh::rofl::biglaugh::rofl::biglaugh::rofl::biglaugh:

Those changes will include the reassignment of commissioned, non-patrol personnel, like administrators and detectives, to patrol the streets in an effort to cut down on call times and support patrol officers.

“Administrative positions, every position that you can think of in a commissioned capacity,” said Ferguson when asked which positions would be out on the streets. “The goal is giving everyone a bite at the apple. Homicide investigators will be tasked at least one day a month to go out on patrol and support where they are needed at that time. Definitely not to take away from their primary responsibilities.”

None of that worked last time but I'm sure this time will be different. For a while, the admin staff would have certain days the worked in the districts to bump up the number of officers on the street. Most of the time, it was the slower days. And they'd roll deep to the code 1 (low priority) calls. But on paper, it looked like there were more officers working.

Then it was decided to have the detectives work one or two shifts a week patrolling instead of detectiving. (I know it's not a real word but feel free to correct me if it helps you.) But they decided to have that patrol sift in a different district than where they normally worked. As an example that may or may not be based on actual events, you'd have a detective that normally works in the downtown/french quarter/marigny area patrolling out in New Orleans East responding to calls in unfamiliar areas. And they rarely handled report rolls in the other district. But on paper, it looked like there were more officers.

At least this time they are including the homicide detectives. With 8 districts, 4 weeks a month, 7 days a week, and 2 shifts per day, NOPD has about 448 shifts per month throughout the city. With 15-20 homicide officers each picking up 1 shift a month, 4.5% of NOPD's monthly shifts will have one extra patrol officer, assuming the detective's primary responsibility is taken care of. I can smell the dip in crime already.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

None of that worked last time but I'm sure this time will be different. For a while, the admin staff would have certain days the worked in the districts to bump up the number of officers on the street. Most of the time, it was the slower days. And they'd roll deep to the code 1 (low priority) calls. But on paper, it looked like there were more officers working.

Then it was decided to have the detectives work one or two shifts a week patrolling instead of detectiving. (I know it's not a real word but feel free to correct me if it helps you.) But they decided to have that patrol sift in a different district than where they normally worked. As an example that may or may not be based on actual events, you'd have a detective that normally works in the downtown/french quarter/marigny area patrolling out in New Orleans East responding to calls in unfamiliar areas. And they rarely handled report rolls in the other district. But on paper, it looked like there were more officers.

At least this time they are including the homicide detectives. With 8 districts, 4 weeks a month, 7 days a week, and 2 shifts per day, NOPD has about 448 shifts per month throughout the city. With 15-20 homicide officers each picking up 1 shift a month, 4.5% of NOPD's monthly shifts will have one extra patrol officer, assuming the detective's primary responsibility is taken care of. I can smell the dip in crime already.
    Thank You for that perspective.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan

Thanks for that breakdown and perspective. I hate it for the guys who still give a **** and I hate it for those who just want to live without being victims of crime.

Abby Normal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    It’s nice to see that the homicide detectives aren’t busy.
    I’m sure I’ve seen this movie before. Next in line is to lower the standards to increase the number of cops on the streets. Then you have to deal with bad cops like Len Davis & Kim groves. I hope not but when you follow the same recipe you eat the same cake. Have your Pepto Ready.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom